Enlist or OCS after college
Create Post
    Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings

Enlist or OCS after college

I am currently 20 and a Sophomore in college with 72 credits. I am planning on going to PLC next summer but cant decide whether to continue on to OCS, that is if i can, or to enlist. I'm not worried about the physical aspect but would like to hear more about what I would do after OCS or after basic as an enlisted man. any advice would be helpful. Thanks.

I graduated HS in 2004, just a year after the conflict in Iraq had begun. I had been going through the same thing, enlisted or officer. I was accepted to The Citadel, and decided to go officer. I left for The Citadel's summer training program three days after I graduated HS. I completed the program and returned home in July and had a month and some change until going back to start my first semester. During this time I began to struggle with waiting four years. I knew I wanted to be in the Corps and the Corps needed more manpower. I ended up withdrawing from The Citadel and enlisted in the Marines. Best decision I had ever made. I grew up and matured very fast and got two tours to Iraq. A HS buddy of mine left for The Citadel with me in 04. In 08 he graduated and was commissioned. He actually missed out and never deployed. I remember thinking about that and how that fact reconfirmed my decision. Although, that doesnt stop me from thinking "what if I had stayed and became an officer?" So, you need to ask yourself what is motivating your turmoil? You are almost halfway done with college, why throw that away? The two paths are worthwhile and different. To know which path is best for you, you need to dig deep and find out what us motivating you?

Marine Friend Free Member USNAviator's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by chuck123 View Post
    I am currently 20 and a Sophomore in college with 72 credits. I am planning on going to PLC next summer but cant decide whether to continue on to OCS, that is if i can, or to enlist. I'm not worried about the physical aspect but would like to hear more about what I would do after OCS or after basic as an enlisted man. any advice would be helpful. Thanks.
    First off thanks for filling out your profile but this really is in the wrong area but that's OK

I'm a little confused with terms. Next summer? Are you talking about two months from now or next year? If it's next year you'll be doing the whole course as I did,all ten weeks

BTW Staff Sgt. good advice!!

Quote Originally Posted by SSgtRSD View Post
    I graduated HS in 2004, just a year after the conflict in Iraq had begun. I had been going through the same thing, enlisted or officer. I was accepted to The Citadel, and decided to go officer. I left for The Citadel's summer training program three days after I graduated HS. I completed the program and returned home in July and had a month and some change until going back to start my first semester. During this time I began to struggle with waiting four years. I knew I wanted to be in the Corps and the Corps needed more manpower. I ended up withdrawing from The Citadel and enlisted in the Marines. Best decision I had ever made. I grew up and matured very fast and got two tours to Iraq. A HS buddy of mine left for The Citadel with me in 04. In 08 he graduated and was commissioned. He actually missed out and never deployed. I remember thinking about that and how that fact reconfirmed my decision. Although, that doesnt stop me from thinking "what if I had stayed and became an officer?" So, you need to ask yourself what is motivating your turmoil? You are almost halfway done with college, why throw that away? The two paths are worthwhile and different. To know which path is best for you, you need to dig deep and find out what us motivating you?

I agree. I would do my PLC, then come home and see the local recruiter. I say that because your head and body should be in the right place then. It may just give you a head start on some of the other turds in your boot camp platoon. Keep your head still, and your mouth shut. As a 20 year old you may be the old man in the platoon. Just know that what you THINK you learned in PLC will soon be untaught and then relearned. If at the end of boot you are so inclined and so qualified, Quantico may be an option. If not, get your NCO stripes and teach the new brownbars the way it's really done in the Corps. Semper Fi

Marine Friend Free Member USNAviator's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    THIS THREAD HAS BEEN MOVED BY THE OP TO, ASK A MARINE SECTION

Thread moved. Also, run a search, this topic has been covered about a hundred times in the last six months!

Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Thanks for all the advice! Appreciate the time and will have to figure out exactly what i want to do. Either way i hope to be a Marine by 2014.

Thread Information