12th District expands educator workshop program by:
Going to the top
Submitted by: 12th Marine Corps District
Story Identification Number: 20031014181035
Story by Sgt. Mike Camacho

12TH MARINE CORPS DISTRICT, SAN DIEGO(August 2003) -- The Marine Corps Educator Workshop has become a successful tool for recruiters over the years. Recruiters find educators who may have a negative attitude about the Marine Corps, and invite them to attend a five-day workshop. While on the workshop, a military naysayer receives a candid look at Marine Corps training. Through this process the cynic typically changes their attitude after seeing how well the Corps transforms the future leaders of tomorrow with Corps values of honor, courage and commitment.

To aid the recruiters in their fight to find educators and administrators who are willing to attend a workshop, Col. Angie Salinas, the 12th Marine Corps District commanding officer, came up with the idea to bring their bosses to a similar workshop called the Community Leader's Workshop.

In its second year, the Community Leaders Workshop has become quite a success. Instead of finding teachers, counselors and principals to attend; recruiting stations were targeting school district superintendents, school board members, mayors, board of trustee members, council members, and anyone who has influence in the community to boost the educator workshop program. The new workshop was such a success, other districts are now planning to give it a try.

"This is an awesome program and I sincerely appreciate the opportunity," said Eric Swanson, Hesperia Unified School District board member. "This is one of those once in a lifetime deals that really help shape your ideas about the students' future."

When it all boils down, workshops like the Community Leaders Workshop, were created to help the recruiting effort. In today?s world there are many misconceptions about the military. A large amount of the indifference recruiters face is based upon misunderstandings.

For the Marine, the process begins in recruit training and from there it never ends. Due to the transformation process that takes place in "boot camp", the Corps finds their isn't a better place to show influencers what its all about.

Salinas, and the District welcomed the influencers with a dinner and introductions into what they can expect throughout the workshop.

The next day the community leaders met two drill instructosr and were introduced to recruit training the same way that recruits are? by way of the yellow footprints.

"The drill instructor was really intimidating. He had me scared. It was so fun," said Diane Kline, director of curriculum, Desert Springs Unified School District. "I want all of my counselors to come to the educator workshop next year."

After the jolting experience, the 26 workshop attendees were able to meet with recruits from their area and have lunch with them at the recruit chow hall. For some, according to some of the attendee's remarks, it was the best part of the workshop. Following lunch, the group loaded onto a bus and traveled to Camp Pendleton's Weapons and Field Training Battalion where they witnessed recruits actually going through the Crucible. The day was informative, exciting and long.

The next day the group visited Marine Corps Air Station Miramar to talk with Marines about their jobs and see some Marine aircraft up close. After their visit to the flight line, it was back on the bus to watch recruits become Marines at the Emblem Ceremony at MCRD. The ceremony touched many in the group.

"I cried because I was so happy and proud for those young men," said Kline.

The last night of the visit included a reception at the commanding general's quarters. Major Gen. Jan C. Huly, commanding general, MCRD/Western Recruiting Region hosted the group for dinner and cocktails.

The final day included a viewing of the Friday Morning Colors Ceremony in front of the general's building, brunch at the Bayview Restaurant and the graduation of the Corps? newest Marines.

"You know, I retired from the Army, so of course I didn't think I would learn much here," said Marcelino "Chico" Garza, special assistant to the superintendent of San Bernardino county schools. "I actually got a lot out of this trip. To see how the Marines do their training was really interesting. The Marines are a tightly knit group of dedicated individuals, and I'm proud that our country has such young men and women willing to become Marines."

http://www.usmc.mil/marinelink/image...e/vip01low.jpg

Fatigue and hunger were only a few of the emotions and feelings the workshop participants saw on the faces of the recruits during their visit to Weapons and Field Training Bn., Camp Pendleton, Calif.
Photo by: Cpl T. E. Harris

http://www.usmc.mil/marinelink/image...e/vip02low.jpg

Within the first few minutes of their visit to Marine Corps Recruit Depot, San Diego, the Community Leaders Workshop participants were introduced to the Corps much like recruits were, a drill instructor.

http://www.usmc.mil/marinelink/image...e/vip03low.jpg

Workshop participants get a chance to visit Marine Corps Air Station Miramar, Calif. and were able to see Marine aircraft up close. While at MCAS Miramar, the participants were also able to meet Marines from various Military Occupational Specialties and to ask questions about their jobs.

http://www.usmc.mil/marinelink/mcn20...8?opendocument

The Drifter