Enlisting with a GED?
Create Post
    Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings

Enlisting with a GED?

Hello Leatherneck.com community, thank you for reading my post first and foremost.

My question is, is it still possible for someone to enlist into the USMC with a GED + 15 college credits? From what I've been reading, I understand that the Marines have been downsizing a bit, and that has me worried that I might not be eligible to enlist in the future.

I attained my GED in 2009, I dropped out of high school because I was working two jobs to help support my Mother after she lost her job, unfortunately I was not able to focus on both school and work at the same time as a young(er) Man, and so due to my inability to balance my jobs and school, I foolishly decided to drop out of high school and assured myself that I could get by with just a GED.

I now want to serve my country but from what I've read, a GED isn't held in the same light as a HS Diploma, that's understandable. But also, from what I have read, a GED + 15 college credits would put me in the same tier as a HSD holder, is this correct? I am currently attending school earning credits, and have no problem with doing so, I would just like some assurance that I still have a chance to enlist at some point in the next 2 years. I will be attending school during this whole time and will be earning credits.

I was thinking it would be wise for me to earn more than 15 credits, basically go an extra few miles for more credits. Would this put me in a better position for enlistment with a USMC recruiter?

Thank you for reading my long post

Yes, GED plus 15 college credits and you will meet the requirements to enlist.

Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by CplKJSpevak View Post
    Yes, GED plus 15 college credits and you will meet the requirements to enlist.
    Ah, okay. I just wanted to make sure.

Thanks for verifying it!

Marine Friend Free Member USNAviator's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    Tier Regs, this might help. As far as I can tell you're good to go

For enlistment purposes, the military breaks education into three overall categories: Tier 1, Tier 2, and Tier 3. The vast majority (over 90 percent) of all enlistments are from the Tier 1 category.

Tier I

Applicants in Tier I have a high school diploma, or at least 15 college credits. This means a high school diploma, not a GED. Depending on state law, completion of high school by home study may or may not be considered equivalent to a high school diploma.

Tier II
    Tier II includes GEDs, home study (in some states), Certificate of Attendance, Alternative/Continuation High School, Correspondence School Diplomas, and Occupational Program Certificate (Vo/Tech). The services limit the number of Tier II candidates it will allow to enlist each year.
    In the Air Force, the limit is less than one percent each year. In such cases, the applicant must score a minimum of 50 on the AFQT to qualify (Note: The "AFQT" is the overall ASVAB score).
    The Army will allow up to 10 percent each year to be Tier II candidates, but they must score a minimum of 50 on the AFQT.
    The Marines will only allow about 5 percent each year to be Tier II, and the Navy about 10 percent. Like the Army and Air Force, Tier II recruits must score a minimum of 50 on the AFQT to qualify.
    The Coast Guard only accepts Tier 2 candidates if they have prior military service, and even then requires them to score higher on the AFQT (50 for prior Coast Guard Service, 65 for prior service in other branches).

Tier III
    Individuals who are not attending high school and are neither high school graduates nor alternative credential holders. The services almost never accept a Tier 3 candidate for enlistment. If you fall into this category, your best bet is to get at least 15 college credits, so that you will be qualified as Tier I.

Thread Information