Proud mother of a new Recruit
Create Post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Marine Family Free Member
    Credits
    Savings

Proud mother of a new Recruit

My son just left for Parris Island Monday 4/11
    I'm looking for support. I am anxious and proud of my son's decision. I'm hoping to meet other parents who I can communicate with.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeppysmom View Post
    I'm looking for support. I am anxious and proud of my son's decision. I'm hoping to meet other parents who I can communicate with.
    Welcome aboard ma'am. Right on for your son's decision. I'm sure he'll make you proud. My mom was over the moon when she saw me in uniform for the first time. I'm pretty new here myself. I was in the Marines from 2003 to 2010, so I have an idea of what your son is going through. Take care of yourself ma'am

-Blake.

Congratulations to your son on his decision to serve. My son graduated from Parris Island last January. Attendng family day and watching the graduation ceremony was the proudest day of our lives. For now, write him often, and give him a lot of support. Have others do the same. Make plans to attend his ceremony. The 12 weeks will fly by, maybe not for him, but they do go quickly. Best of luck to you and your son.

There is another website called recruitparents.com which is free to join.

That website will guide you through the phases of bootcamp so you'll know how your son is progressing. It also has a list of USMC terminology so when he writes home you'll have a better understanding of his new vocabulary. Once you know his platoon number, you'll be able to communicate with other parents who have sons in his platoon. It lists platoon graduation dates, schedules of events for family day and graduation day, places to stay in Beaufort SC (a few hotels offer discounts for members of that site), etc.

The website also has information about life after bootcamp; MOS schooling, USMC bases, etc. You will find the moderators to be extremely helpful. With all the information provided, it may take you a little time to navigate around the site but you'll get the hang of it.

I will be at Parris Island myself the first week in June. Taking my niece to see family day and a graduation ceremony (she is enlisting in May and will be a senior next year).

Congratulations to your son and welcome to the Marine Corps family. Let us know when he earns the title.

p.s; George Patton was not a Marine.

Credits
    Savings

First week in .....................

May, I will be on the Island and I am going to do you and your son a favor.
    I will not ask for a private Jeppy !! Ha Ha !
    Not even a week yet ? I am sure he is still dumbstruck, but will do just fine ! Congrats, And if At all possible do attend the Graduation !!! It is a once in a lifetime event for you and him. My Mom attended mine and I will never forget the whole day. Moz USMC 1968-70

Welcome and Congratulations to your son

Jeppysmom, check your private messages.

Your next big "event" will be receiving the first form letter with his platoon info and mailing address( ours took 12 days from his ship date). Then you can start sending letters. Start writing now and send them when you receive it. You may receive a few letters from him asking why you are not sending any mail. This is normal and he will begin to receive them by the time you start getting worried he is not LOL. Snailmail takes time especially when there are 500+/- new recruits shipping to PI every week.

The important thing is to not send anything other than letters unless your recruit asks for it.

Howdy Jeppysmom...This is definitely an emotional yet exciting journey for you as well as your recruit. This week has been chaotic for your son and the other new recruits. Their IST was yesterday or today and those that passed will be placed in permanent platoons then tomorrow meet the DI's and SDI they will have for the duration of their training at PI. The form letters are sent out on the first Saturday or following Monday recruits are on the island. You should have that letter sometime next week!

Visit www.parrisisland.yuku for excellent support and information!! See ya there.

From a Marine parent, Welcome. I understand the anxiety and the pride you speak of...It will be a tough little bit over these next weeks, write often and be as supportive as you can as the young man will question his decision. The two sites mentioned, recruitparents and yuku will become invaluable. They'll both put you with those in the ship date of 4/11.

Be very proud of the young man for making one of the most important decisions he's ever made.

Welcome jeppysmom,

Congratulations on your son's decision! He has quite a challenge ahead of him and he is going to need your full support during bootcamp with lots of letters from home. Don't send you letters in anything fancy... just plain white envelopes and plan paper.

I know that you and your family will be missing terribly, but come Family Day and Graduation Day you will be so very ... very proud.

Best wishes!

p.s. sending you a message...

Credits
    Savings

Address?

I want to write but I still haven't received an address. In his phone call he said I would be notified between five to seven days with the new address. I didn't want to take any initiative until I heard anything because I didn't want to interfere with protocol. He is at Parris Island.

Thank you.

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by gkmoz View Post
    May, I will be on the Island and I am going to do you and your son a favor.
    I will not ask for a private Jeppy !! Ha Ha !
    Not even a week yet ? I am sure he is still dumbstruck, but will do just fine ! Congrats, And if At all possible do attend the Graduation !!! It is a once in a lifetime event for you and him. My Mom attended mine and I will never forget the whole day. Moz USMC 1968-70

His name if Jeffrey. Thank you for the tip. He's my first born and before he left for Boot camp he was out of the house for almost two years and we didn't go one day without talking. I have mixed emotions. On one hand I'm relieved he has a direction, damn proud he is challenging his strength to become a man----then on the other hand....well I so miss my boy. Thank you for responding. Thank you.:

Jeanine iwo:

Marine Friend Free Member USNAviator's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    His name if Jeffrey. Thank you for the tip. He's my first born and before he left for Boot camp he was out of the house for almost two years and we didn't go one day without talking. I have mixed emotions. On one hand I'm relieved he has a direction, damn proud he is challenging his strength to become a man----then on the other hand....well I so miss my boy. Thank you for responding. Thank you.:

Jeanine iwo:
    Jeanine your son will be fine, as many have stated he's more that a little busy right now. Have a little patience, he'll get in touch

Your son has decided to challenge himself and will return home to you as a different person. His basic core will not have been changed but he will be a man, he will have far more self confidence and will be a Marine

Good luck to him and to you. And if you can attend his graduation, I hope you can post some pictures on here for all to see

Fair winds

Go to recruitparents.com; it will explain about the letters (when to expect one, etc). Try to remember he has very limited free time right now. When he does have free time, that does not mean he's just sitting around with nothing to do. There's always some gear that needs working on, material that needs studying, etc. And, since teamwork is stressed, the stronger recruits are expected to work with the weaker ones so he may be helping someone else.

Thread Information