Infantry vs. POGs...distinguish them? - Page 2
Create Post
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    just a little more added to my last post...in the early 70s guess they wernt sure if we would be pulled out or not because of the crap happenin back in the states
    we wernt getting replasments got down to 15 man plt...we were goin was a little intimadating out in the bush...plt size ambushes patroles ect with no backup they was about to pull us out of the bush and try to regroup..but first asked for volintears on ross to come out to the bush and build up our numbers...we got quite a few pooges from all sorts of mos es....was like getting a bunch of boots for sure but they learnd fast as we all did...
    be safe good people

recently had a conversation about this with my oldest son. I don't see a need to distinguish any Marine from another, we are all one brotherhood regardless of mos, That iswhat distinguishes us from all other branches. No need to brag about being a particular type of Marine, the rest of the world understands that U.S. Marines are the top of the food chain.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MD8724 View Post
    I would honestly care less if you had a way to distinguish yourself, as long as it doesn't cost the DoD any extra money, at all. We already ***** about our gear, then go and waste funds on stupid ****.

Also, for the slightly condecending remarks that some of you grunts decide to slide in while you attempt to make an argument about this topic....**** your mothers. The Marine Corps is going back to a lot of MEU's, which means Grunts are going from patrols to playing xbox and *****ing when the god damn internet is working.

If you want to be distinguished, fine. If you want to be a prick towards POGS, your only hurting your fellow grunts when I decide to delete their ****ing email inbox's because of your posts.
    why dont you tell us how you realy feel

Grunts can have their little Grunt badges when I can have THIS

YAT YAS

Hell, I'll even take one with a crossed MK19 and M2 .50 cal, screw the rifles. I'll take a T/O CREW serv any day.

Quote Originally Posted by montana View Post
    why dont you tell us how you realy feel
    I know right. It's been a long morning. Anyways, as long as it doesn't cost the DOD more money, go for it.

Quote Originally Posted by MD8724 View Post
    ... If you want to be a prick towards POGS, your only hurting your fellow grunts when I decide to delete their ****ing email inbox's because of your posts.
    Daaammnn that's huss. And how would you proceed in wielding these powers of extraction, Jimmy?
    Hack any random grunt, throw darts at an AO map and delete an entire units mail, target an individual that tipped your drink over at the e-club....

Marine Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Blog Entries
    WOW what the FuC* its matter, its all about balls, and you find that out way before you find out someones MOS. if someone covering you got a preference on there mos, another Marine be good enough,

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by Lupo22 View Post
    I wanted to get some input from everyone...

I'm a grunt and I'm with grunts 99% of the time I'm at work. I know that for the most part, grunts feel like we should be able to distinguish ourselves somehow from Personnel Other than Grunt. I believe in the Army they distinguish themselves by their undershirt (black for grunts and tan for POGs) but I'm not sure...

Not meant to be condescending or a seperatist, just wanna see how the other side feels
    IF you really wanted to be special.
    You could get a dog,
    Shave its ass,
    and teach it to march backwards.

Talking Here's what I think !

First off , patches have been wore in the Marines who served in the last two world wars ! Anyone here ever see the episodes of the HBO " Pacific " ? This was stopped after the 2nd WW .

Don't some of the pilots and aircrews wear wings and how about our recon Marines ?

How about the Croix de Guerre cord worn by some Marine regiments ?

I agree that we are all the same in the brotherhood of being Marines , but I'd like the idea of patches simular to those worn by our brothers as was done during the Second WW to show what Div. or Airwing a Marine belongs to and serve with in a combat zone , at least on dress uniforms .

Just my 2 cents !

Can't speek for only myself but in Nam when I got my truck blown out from under me I became a grunt real fast was not hard either just did it that is the way we were trained. We are Marines that is what counts nothing else.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by AlohaMarine View Post
    I assume any white, angry, bitter Marine with a decently long haircut that drops the F bomb once a sentence is a grunt....and I'm usually right.
    This one could apply to me..................

Let's all change our chevrons, so we can look like squids. While we are at it, let's remove the Eagle from the EGA if you are a ground pounder. Come on, this is a load of horse hockey. It is beyond prima donna into stupid.

if you really wanted to be special you would go to A&S and then become a MARSOC Marine-----------i here that they get really cool boots,...........i once saw a marsoc Marine on stonebay walking a lion on a leash------------

Quote Originally Posted by Lupo22 View Post
    I know that for the most part, grunts feel like we should be able to distinguish ourselves somehow from Personnel Other than Grunt.
    How do you tell a grunt from a pogue? Well, from my somewhat limited experience, I'd say "by the look in their eyes."

I guess I'm showing my age (and I always thought I was a "young one" here), but the way I was brought up in the Corps, it was "Pogue" not "POG" (or would that be POTG?)

A Pogue was also known as a REMF (don't know that one? look it up). It wasn't an MOS designation, it was a mindset - a way of life. I served with many 03XXs who we refered to as "pogues" - (remember spit shined jungle boots? rat "f"ing the chow before it was sent out to the companies?) and many non-03XXs who were definitely not "pogues" - hell, we had a chaplain who would physically kick any Marine's ass who called him a pogue (most highly decorated man in the battalion - lived quite the life before he received his call).

I guess all I have to say on this is if you, as a grunt, need a doo-dad on your uniform that makes you special - that makes you stand out - then maybe you should re-evaluate your priorities.

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by Tennessee Top View Post
    You are not in the Army. The Army feels a need to distinguish it's members by uniform items like scarves, calvary covers, unit patches, MOS pins, etc. The Navy also has ship and rate patches on their uniforms.

Our uniform identifies us as a Marine. Been that way for over 200 years...no need to change now.

If you see a Marine with a combat action ribbon, purple heart, etc., chances are he is a grunt.
    Sorry Top, that ain't necessarily true. Lots of Wingers out there wear those little ribbons.

Quick question, is a 'Box Kicker' a grunt, a pogue, or REMF!!

Thread Information