Infantry vs. POGs...distinguish them? - Page 3
Create Post
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    Credits
    Savings
    [quote=03Mike;759069]
    I guess I'm showing my age (and I always thought I was a "young one" here), but the way I was brought up in the Corps, it was "Pogue" not "POG"[quote]

Yea, I was taught the same thing, its just I changed it when I got sick of everyone trying to convince me its just "POG"....no one ever said grunts were smart lol

By the way, I didn't mean for this to be a flame war...it was just a question to get some input from the other side...

Quote Originally Posted by Vandrel View Post
    Grunts can have their little Grunt badges when I can have THIS

YAT YAS

Hell, I'll even take one with a crossed MK19 and M2 .50 cal, screw the rifles. I'll take a T/O CREW serv any day.
    How about going back to the 'puking gator' sleeve patch worn in WWII? Actually, I have always thought that being a Marine was distinction enough and never saw the need for all the frills that doggies wear on their uniform. And if you think our uniforms are rather plain and undecorated today, you should have seen the old summer trops back in the 60's. H*ll, except for chevrons, we could pass for old boyscouts!

What was wrong from the old way of telling us apart. We all weighed 130-160, we had this distinctive red dust staining our skin and our cloths and we had this "look" in our eyes. Of course to us it was all normal. Most would tell you that we could be spotted a mile away from other Marines.

Credits
    Savings
    Lupo

I didnt mean that as a personal attack with the earlier post of mine.
    Trust me please when i tell you that some of us here were "Combat" veterans,
    before combat veterans were cool.
    "Vietnam" is my example

Most of us from my era returned home to a country that you could only read about in a history book if you could find one that told the truth. (riots , civil disturbances, and worse)Draft protesters & anti war rallys. We were outcasts of the american society. Called baby killers and scorned by the general american population , berated by the newspapers, radio, and television news.

There wasn't an EXCEPTION just for having been a POG or a GRUNT. No dispensations i guess you can say.

Marines are special to any of us who have served as one. I am proud to have
    served as one, and to have served with others of the same title. You carry PRIDE
    on the inside and not worry about what the outside world thinks.

P.S. lots of pog's other than grunt are with you everyday in the corps,, you may just have failed to notice them, Comm, Corpsmen,Engineers. FAC, Anglico, "just to name a few"
    Good Night Chesty Puller where ever you are.

Semper Fidelis Marine, good health, god bless you and all my younger brothers who follow with the title of United States Marine

Talking I know that we here have no control over many things !

Has anyone here ever thought that just maybe the Corps is too budget minded on things !

When I was in Nam , I had a bad habit of obtaining stuff with the five finger discount from my Army comrades who had about everything !

I had to do what a Marine , who lacked the latest stuff available had to do in the Marine tradition under the laws of supply ( the Army had it ) and demand ( we Marines needed it ) , under war time conditions using the improvise , adapt and overcome method .

The Marines have always had the short end of the stick, when it comes to having the latest or the newest or even enough ammo for what weapon was most used. One of the reasons we pride ourselves on overcoming adversity and thinking outside the box. It is the intangibles that set us apart from others, the fierce pride in doing more with less and never quitting, no matter the odds against success. And as far as this talk about some kind of separate mark of distinction to identify Marine infantry, whoever or whenever this topic was brought up, I vote against it. All Marines know that you either fight the enemy directly or indirectly and the infantry has a special place among Marines for their place in this equation. There is no reason to change the tradition of letting our victories and our accomplishment of our missions against all enemies around the world, from doing all the talking necessary for what and who we are. Our mare presence or anticipated arrival is sometimes all that is needed to influence the situation and I feel there is no valid reason to determine a need to identify us differently from other Marine functions, by any kind of uniform change. The pride and honor that this Marine grunt has is more than enough for me and I require no other identifying device.
    Semper Fi, Scott

Quote Originally Posted by Tennessee Top View Post
    You are not in the Army. The Army feels a need to distinguish it's members by uniform items like scarves, calvary covers, unit patches, MOS pins, etc. The Navy also has ship and rate patches on their uniforms.

Our uniform identifies us as a Marine. Been that way for over 200 years...no need to change now.

If you see a Marine with a combat action ribbon, purple heart, etc., chances are he is a grunt.
    Our SDI hated the army, he said when they were in their dress greens they looked like a fvckin bunch of Christmas trees, Semper Fidelis.

Quote Originally Posted by 03Foxtrot View Post
    The Marines have always had the short end of the stick, when it comes to having the latest or the newest or even enough ammo for what weapon was most used. One of the reasons we pride ourselves on overcoming adversity and thinking outside the box. It is the intangibles that set us apart from others, the fierce pride in doing more with less and never quitting, no matter the odds against success. And as far as this talk about some kind of separate mark of distinction to identify Marine infantry, whoever or whenever this topic was brought up, I vote against it. All Marines know that you either fight the enemy directly or indirectly and the infantry has a special place among Marines for their place in this equation. There is no reason to change the tradition of letting our victories and our accomplishment of our missions against all enemies around the world, from doing all the talking necessary for what and who we are. Our mare presence or anticipated arrival is sometimes all that is needed to influence the situation and I feel there is no valid reason to determine a need to identify us differently from other Marine functions, by any kind of uniform change. The pride and honor that this Marine grunt has is more than enough for me and I require no other identifying device.
    Semper Fi, Scott
    Well put Brother,, Semper Fidelis.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave2571 View Post
    Our uniform is relatively plain. It says it all.
    This change for the sake of change nonsense that we see all around us in civilian life, should never be part of the Corps. We need change when it is needed, but not just for kicks.
    What if we make it "Change you can believe in."

Quote Originally Posted by SlingerDun View Post
    Daaammnn that's huss. And how would you proceed in wielding these powers of extraction, Jimmy?
    Hack any random grunt, throw darts at an AO map and delete an entire units mail, target an individual that tipped your drink over at the e-club....
    Usually just the dicks. You get to know a lot of people over 7 months. Most everyone is cool, but a few of the "holier-than-thou" *******s seemed to have a hard time receiving email, be it grunt or pog. I never could find out why.

Marine Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Blog Entries
    the people that were in the sh*t, you didnt think of mos, maybe iam wrong , we need to have grunt day,

I was a comm pogue,and did a little ducking,but nothing like the Grunts. That said,
    I didn't get to shoot back but I sure did my share of backup,always waiting.......my chance of being in the "****",never happened. My Hat is off to all Grunts and all who did
    their best to support them.

This whole feel good "We are all Marines" stuff is PC bull****.

Quote Originally Posted by LandsNGrooves View Post
    This whole feel good "We are all Marines" stuff is PC bull****.
    bull****, yes. PC, no

just like grunts wanting to feel special with their rank insignia is also bull****

if a grunts are so special ---------why dont they put in a package and go to courthouse bay or stone bay and get some---------------

Thread Information