Joining woes
Create Post

Thread: Joining woes

Joining woes

I am about 3 and a half months away from shipping to boot camp and I have a big problem, my recruiter told me today that he has no more contracts for me to sign, like none, at all. He says that all I can do is wait for some contracts to open up. Now to me this sounds like I have to wait for however long until a contract opens up, and I have no say over what contract that is. My other choice is to go to boot camp open contract. And this I reaaaaally dont want to do. Now I have wanted to be a Marine for a very long time, but I dont want to be a refrigeration mech for my first 4 years. Are there any other choices here? Am I screwed or what? Any help is appreciated.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Sorry,,,but I can't feel bad. all contracts in my time was open contracts. Guess you will have to find someone younger to cry with ya,,,,,,

It's your life, do not ship to boot camp without the MOS you want. In this day and age, you can choose your job. You might get lucky with an open contract, but probably not. No reason or need to leave it up to chance, so don't.

Mike

I understand what you are saying sir. I'm really not looking for sympathy just some guidance.

I have been told before to not ship until I get a contract but at this point I am in a position where my family is not going to live in this city for more than a week or two after my ship date, and I dont know If the town they are moving to has an RSS nearby. At this point do I just have to wait and hope? I want to be a Marine, but I dont want the Marines to throw me where they need me, because I believe that I can contribute to the Corps in many ways that isnt a refrigeration mechanic or a small engine repairman.

The way you put it sounds to me you don't have a lot of options. Ship open contract or wait for something to open up and see if you like it (which may not happen). Guess it comes down to how lucky you feel.

Because of the force reduction and current economy, all the services have more applicants than jobs, so the recruiters are turning people away.

Good luck with your decision and let us know how it turns out.

Yup. While I had a contract, it was 'open' and ended up....Infantry. LOL. Go figure.

You have to make the decision. Look at it this way, if you get 'Fridge Mech or bulk fuel or some such...you've at least got something to 'fall back on' and are trained in later on in life.

Could be worse...you could be told you CAN'T enlist because you have some mental or physical defect or are a high school dropout or some other issue. Look at it that way. Plenty of THOSE people wander through here on a daily basis and would kill to be in your shoes.

Those are very good points indeed sirs, but I guess I'm just going to have to do some soul searching and figure it out for myself. Thank you all very much.

Thread Information