My son leaves for Parris Island soon... - Page 3
Create Post
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Wow...That is "early" compared to when we received ours. Again, good luck to your Recruit and your family.

Quote Originally Posted by Ridgerunner665 View Post
    Phone call received 5 minutes ago...my son has arrived safely at Parris Island.
    The road begins Good luck to your son and family

I haven't looked in here for a while. This board was a great resource for me when my son went to P I.

Phone call received 5 minutes ago...my son has arrived safely at Parris Island.
    Now you can breath easy. MCRD is the safest place in the world. no drunk drivers, no late night partys. oh and that feeling of pride.......it only gets better.

You know, something that a lot of people overlook when discussing what MOS they got "stuck" with is that once you get your training done, get to your command, and fall into the groove of everyday life in your job, everything just sort of gels. I wasn't crazy about getting the 26XX field because of the lack of door kicking and lead pouring, but after I got settled in and acclimated to the job, it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. I think a lot of it comes from the esprit de corps and commaraderie that developes and the idea that every person in your unit is striving toward the same goal. Unless there is some new MOS that involves standing on your head for 12 hours a day in knee-deep excrement, there really isn't a job in the Corps that should be hated or regretted. Just my two cents. Carry on.

Not much to add....I received the letter (you know the one...).

Something in it came as a surprise though, a phone number and an email to the senior DI...it said to call if I had any questions...I got about a million of them, LOL.

I have not called, as tempting as it is to ask how he is doing...I won't unless I really need to.

That son of mine is a chip off the old block...he is too stubborn to fail, too hard headed to quit...and he REALLY wants this.

I'm not worried about him, I'd just like to know all the details, . We wrote him a letter a few days ago...he may have received it by now, or maybe not. I'm not sure how slow the mail moves there.

Something in it came as a surprise though, a phone number and an email to the senior DI...it said to call if I had any questions...I got about a million of them, LOL.

I have not called, as tempting as it is to ask how he is doing...I won't unless I really need to.

That son of mine is a chip off the old block...he is too stubborn to fail, too hard headed to quit...and he REALLY wants this.

I'm not worried about him, I'd just like to know all the details, . We wrote him a letter a few days ago...he may have received it by now, or maybe not.
    I'm not sure how slow the mail moves there.
    You will get his letters a day or 2 quicker than he'll get yours. With 500+\- recruits entering PI every week, that same amount of new Marines leaving every week and the movements within the base itself, it slows down the flow of incoming mail a bit.

I'm not worried about him, I'd just like to know all the details, . We wrote him a letter a few days ago...he may have received it by now, or maybe not. I'm not sure how slow the mail moves there.
    It really comes as a surprise to me that you would be given that information, regarding the contact info. When I was in Boot Camp, the only thing that my parents knew for sure was that I was in California. If I were you, as much as I would like to know how my child is doing, the last thing on earth I would do is contact his Sr D.I.

As a parent, I would want to know that my son was doing alright, but I would also know that if he weren't, I would be notified immediately if there was a problem. If you were to contact his D.I. there would probably be a considerable downside for you your son. First, he would take a lot of ridicule for having Mommy/Daddy check up on him. And I don't mean a little lighthearted teasing. Although, the benefits would be pretty numerous, as well. For instance, your son would be allowed the added benefit of extra exercise. He would be in remarkable physical condition upon completion of training. There would also be the opportunity for drawing extra duty, which would allow your son to really, really learn more of the basic tasks of a recruit. And let's not forget the additional classroom time that would be made available to him. Think of all the knowledge he would gain, being allowed to recite the general orders for sentry duty, or discussing the finer points of first aid for a heat-related illness, while doing push-ups with his hands forming the shape of a diamond on the floor beneath him.

Ahhh, the doors which could be opened for him with a simple e-mail or phone call to his Senior D.I. And just think how grateful he would be to you for making all of that possible. Bottom line...he's a young man training for what could be the most awesome opportunity of his life. He will face difficulty and hardship at every turn in the next few months, and he could do without the fallout from being checked on by his parents. Please trust me on this. I wish your son all the best in his future as a Marine, and I urge you to refrain from making contact unless there is some sort of emergency which absolutely requires that he be contacted. Your son will return to you after training, and will be someone you can be very proud of. In the meantime, if you have general questions about what he may be doing in training, there are a lot of relatively new Marines in these forums who would be happy to answer your questions from their more recent and accurate memories. God Bless the United States Marine Corps!

It really comes as a surprise to me that you would be given that information, regarding the contact info. When I was in Boot Camp, the only thing that my parents knew for sure was that I was in California. If I were you, as much as I would like to know how my child is doing, the last thing on earth I would do is contact his Sr D.I.

As a parent, I would want to know that my son was doing alright, but I would also know that if he weren't, I would be notified immediately if there was a problem. If you were to contact his D.I. there would probably be a considerable downside for you your son. First, he would take a lot of ridicule for having Mommy/Daddy check up on him. And I don't mean a little lighthearted teasing. Although, the benefits would be pretty numerous, as well. For instance, your son would be allowed the added benefit of extra exercise. He would be in remarkable physical condition upon completion of training. There would also be the opportunity for drawing extra duty, which would allow your son to really, really learn more of the basic tasks of a recruit. And let's not forget the additional classroom time that would be made available to him. Think of all the knowledge he would gain, being allowed to recite the general orders for sentry duty, or discussing the finer points of first aid for a heat-related illness, while doing push-ups with his hands forming the shape of a diamond on the floor beneath him.

Ahhh, the doors which could be opened for him with a simple e-mail or phone call to his Senior D.I. And just think how grateful he would be to you for making all of that possible. Bottom line...he's a young man training for what could be the most awesome opportunity of his life. He will face difficulty and hardship at every turn in the next few months, and he could do without the fallout from being checked on by his parents. Please trust me on this. I wish your son all the best in his future as a Marine, and I urge you to refrain from making contact unless there is some sort of emergency which absolutely requires that he be contacted. Your son will return to you after training, and will be someone you can be very proud of. In the meantime, if you have general questions about what he may be doing in training, there are a lot of relatively new Marines in these forums who would be happy to answer your questions from their more recent and accurate memories. God Bless the United States Marine Corps!

Quote Originally Posted by YLDNDN6 View Post

Yes...thats kinda what I was thinking.

There's no way I'd call unless it had to be done...I did not mention that contact info to his mother (we are long divorced, I'm the custodial parent), I figured she'd call, LOL.

I'm content to send him letters, he and I can "catch up" come September.

There's no way I'd call unless it had to be done...
    Our form letter had the same info on it......along with a big boot print and a few extra crumples.......I never did get the whole story of that one. Anyway, in his next letter, he said under no circumsrances contact his SDI. The advice we were given was to contact the PI Chaplain in the event of a family crisis.

This letter had something about using the Red Cross to contact him, I forget the exact text (I haven't actually read the letter, I haven't been home since we got it)...but my wife read it to me over the phone.

Those of us who have been through it will all tell you that receiving letters from home, from aunts and uncles, brothers and sisters, anyone who can write, can be a really bright spot during Recruit Training. Tell everyone he knows that he would like to get mail from them. Even if you just write out what happened today in a real quick note and send it out. I cannot adequately stress the importance of this. As a rule, keep news on the up side, and try not to include anything that might cause him to worry about what is going on at home. He has plenty to worry about and plenty of stress in his day-to-day right now.

We got another letter, he actually wrote this one, LOL.

All is well, he is doing good...says he has gained 7 pounds since getting there (he was a slender fellow...in shape, but lean...like me).

Of interest to other parents...he says:

PS: please send stamps.

A little something I'm gonna throw in here...sorta off topic, but not really.

I've read a lot on here about parents that were not quite willing to sign the papers for the kids to enter the DEP.

I know we are all different in the way we raise our kids...and also what we believe in, and I'm not not saying that my way is the right way, the best way, or even a good way...

That said...I planted the seed in my son to go into the military when he was very young, he's always been smart, quick to learn things he was interested in. I originally kinda steered him towards the Navy, his uncle was in the Navy and has secured a successful career after the Navy (works at Siemens) with some VERY well paying job that he never seems to do...he's always hunting, fishing, travelling somewhere or something...anyway, and another friend of mine that had great success after the Navy, he now works for TVA and will be eligible for retirement next year (the 20 year thing stays with you at TVA)...and my son was all for it for a while, his ROTC group was Navy and everything.

Myself...I always wanted to be a Marine, and I think I would have made a good one but a few things stood in my way. One was that I was needed at home (on the farm), another...the big one, was that I hurt my back (nearly broke it) in a motorcycle wreck when I was 12 and never completely recovered. I can do just about anything anybody else can do...except stay bent over for very long...touching my toes is painful, but I can do it without a fuss...in a nutshell, I would never have been accepted.

And maybe thats what changed my sons mind...the fact that Dad wanted to be a Marine.

When he told me he was gonna join the Marines I was a bit surprised for a second...then pure, 110% proud as hell.....proud of him for the having the courage to do it, proud of myself for instilling that courage, patriotism, and love of country in him.

When he brought me those papers to sign...my only question was..."Where do I sign?" I knew the risks, the dangers, the what ifs, and the maybes...with the worst of them being that someday I may get that terrible news...I've got a few friends that have been there, a couple in the Marines, a nephew and a cousin in the Army (nephew is still in Iraq, cousin was in Afghanistan for 2 tours)

All that said...one thing I have always known, and accepted is this...somebody's gotta do it.

Like I said...I'm not saying its right, wrong, or whatever...but it is a fact.

And that made the decision easy for me...I signed those papers, handed them to my son and said..."Dammit! You've done went and grown up..." and gave him a hug.

Thread Information