My son leaves for Parris Island soon...
Create Post
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

My son leaves for Parris Island soon...

They gave him an MOS in field artillery (I didn't think he'd get his MOS until after he graduated PI...but what do I know?)

I'm proud of him...he has done what I let my parents talk me out of (becoming a Marine), I've regretted not joining ever since ...now I'm just a truck driver. ( a damn good one though )

He has wanted to be a Marine since he was about 8, and I have supported that decision all the way (not forced, supported)

June 13th is the day he heads out...he didn't really want field arty, but thats what he got. He had very high scores on everything but I guess they stick you where they need you.

Anyway, thats my introduction I guess...I'll give progress reports here as I get them...so it may be a while before I add anything since its a while before he leaves, and then its 13 weeks of silence until he graduates.

Oh yeah....he's going tomorrow to do something, I forget what he called it...physical fitness type thing.

EDIT: Its an IST test...

Marine Friend Free Member USNAviator's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by Ridgerunner665 View Post
    They gave him an MOS in field artillery (I didn't think he'd get his MOS until after he graduated PI...but what do I know?)

I'm proud of him...he has done what I let my parents talk me out of (becoming a Marine), I've regretted not joining ever since ...now I'm just a truck driver. ( a damn good one though )

He has wanted to be a Marine since he was about 8, and I have supported that decision all the way (not forced, supported)

June 13th is the day he heads out...he didn't really want field arty, but thats what he got. He had very high scores on everything but I guess they stick you where they need you.

Anyway, thats my introduction I guess...I'll give progress reports here as I get them...so it may be a while before I add anything since its a while before he leaves, and then its 13 weeks of silence until he graduates.

Oh yeah....he's going tomorrow to do something, I forget what he called it...physical fitness type thing.

EDIT: Its an IST test...

Good luck to your son but please take some time to fill out your profile.We don't know if your his mother or father. Sorry, being a truck driver isn't the dead give away it use to be.....

If you have any questions I'm sure they will be answered on here

Quote Originally Posted by USNAviator View Post
    Good luck to your son but please take some time to fill out your profile.We don't know if your his mother or father. Sorry, being a truck driver isn't the dead give away it use to be.....

If you have any questions I'm sure they will be answered on here
    OOPS...I knew better than that (forum etiquette), I'm a regular on several gun forums.

I'll get that squared away...

Marine Friend Free Member USNAviator's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    OOPS...I knew better than that (forum etiquette), I'm a regular on several gun forums.

I'll get that squared away...

LOL no worries. Glad to see someone who at least understands the word etiquette

Looking forward to hear about your sons progress

PT (physical training). If he doesn't want artillery, then he doesn't have to keep it. As long as he hasn't left for bootcamp he can change his MOS to whatever is available, so long as his ASVAB score was high enough. If he doesn't want Arty then he can wait until the next fiscal year (Oct 1st) when all the jobs open up again. He can walk away from the Marines at any point before bootcamp without negative affect on his future, and he can always go back if he decides. Remember, the Marine Corps needs him more than he needs the Marine Corps. His recruiter can and will give him his desired job if he thinks you will walk away.

Quote Originally Posted by Devillpupp View Post
    PT (physical training). If he doesn't want artillery, then he doesn't have to keep it. As long as he hasn't left for bootcamp he can change his MOS to whatever is available, so long as his ASVAB score was high enough. If he doesn't want Arty then he can wait until the next fiscal year (Oct 1st) when all the jobs open up again. He can walk away from the Marines at any point before bootcamp without negative affect on his future, and he can always go back if he decides. Remember, the Marine Corps needs him more than he needs the Marine Corps. His recruiter can and will give him his desired job if he thinks you will walk away.
    His ASVAB score was high...and the other scores (GT) they break it down into were also high.

He seems to be OK with field artillery (he likes guns, he gets that honest ...and he can bust clay targets at 600 yards all day long)....he says getting the infantry training will be useful later on. Field Artillary was his 2nd choice...

He has mentioned a few moves he may try to make later on, but I'll wait until he makes them before getting into that....

He won't be walking away...they may kick him out, but he won't quit.

I think he'll make a darn fine marine...he's smart, tough, dedicated, and he can shoot!

I'm happy he got his second choice. my fear was that he would end up with the stereotypical "my recruiter screwed me" stories which might make him bitter down the road. I wish him all the best and look forward to hear how things end up for him.

Quote Originally Posted by Devillpupp View Post
    I'm happy he got his second choice. my fear was that he would end up with the stereotypical "my recruiter screwed me" stories which might make him bitter down the road. I wish him all the best and look forward to hear how things end up for him.
    10-4...I hear ya!

I have a few friends that are Marines (no longer in service) and he spoke to them extensively before signing anything.

He knows what he wants and the road he needs to take to get there...its gonna be a long hard road though.

Credits
    Savings
    Quote: Originally Posted by Devillpupp

10-4...I hear ya!

I have a few friends that are Marines (no longer in service) and he spoke to them extensively before signing anything.

He knows what he wants and the road he needs to take to get there...its gonna be a long hard road though.

Welcome to the site Ridgerunner
    I'm sure all of us here wish the best to
    you and your family.

Welcome Ridgerunner!

It sounds like your son has some great support for his goals! Understand that this is going to be a pretty wild ride for you as a parent though. Just as Bootcamp transforms civilians into Marines, it also transforms parents into Marine Parents. The day my son left for PI was one of the toughest days in my life as a parent, but graduation was one of the most amazing. It's really that profound.

The 2 most important things I learned during my sons Recruit training:

Write lots of letters- they will get sick, they will get homesick, mail call keeps em going.

No news is good news- It is a tough adjustment, not knowing the details of our childrens daily life, but this trains US for the future of being a Marine Parent.

Ridgerunner,
    First off, welcome to LN. Your son will need a considerable amount of support and perhaps occasionally a kick in the butt. There might be times when he just wants to pass on the PT gathering done by the recruiting station. Don't let that happen. He could be in great shape now but I can promise you he is NOT in Marine shape. What this program will teach him is multifaceted. He will learn about rank structure, general orders, some UCMJ information, and how to 'put up' with someone being in your face. These are all valuable lessons prior to stepping on the yellow footprints.

Just be there when he needs you. The statement about letters when in boot is very true and very important for BOTH of you.

Again welcome to LN. Semper Fi to you and yours.

Thank You both...

He has been going to the PT gatherings...for a tad over a year (he enlisted at 17). He missed a couple during deer season but thats it.

I'm used to being "out of the loop" (truck driver...always gone), but I know if/when he deploys that will certainly be different.

My wife (his step-mom) will probably be doing most of the letter writing, but we will keep him up to date with plenty of letters and pics of his lil brother (thats the one he says he hates to leave)

He called and said he passed his IST with flying colors:

He didn't count his pull ups, but he did plenty I'm sure.
    80 sit ups.
    Ran the 1.5 miles in 11 minutes and 30 seconds.

Thank You both...

My wife (his step-mom) will probably be doing most of the letter writing, but we will keep him up to date with plenty of letters and pics of his lil brother (thats the one he says he hates to leave)

That's what I thought too. But, like you, I have a job that allows me a bit of time to think things through and I got into it by following the training schedule.....nothing worse than a middle-age Marine wannabe living vicarously through his son LOL.....My co-workers now start to leave the room when I start talking about him.... I ended up writing 2 to 3 letters/week. Sent alot of jokes and ass-kickin moto stories and quotes.

Anyway, best of luck to you and your son.

Quote Originally Posted by MarineDAD92 View Post
    That's what I thought too. But, like you, I have a job that allows me a bit of time to think things through and I got into it by following the training schedule.....nothing worse than a middle-age Marine wannabe living vicarously through his son LOL.....My co-workers now start to leave the room when I start talking about him.... I ended up writing 2 to 3 letters/week. Sent alot of jokes and ass-kickin moto stories and quotes.

Anyway, best of luck to you and your son.

Its good to know I'm not the only one...LOL!

Yeah...I was thinking about it today...I can write the letters, email them to my wife, then she can print and mail them to him...

Thread Information