My son leaves for Parris Island soon... - Page 2
Create Post
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Best of luck to your son and yourself, from another Marine dad! I hope you post progress reports from time to time, and pics are nice too!

Ridgerunner,

Welcome and best wishes to your son ... and to you and your family!

Having a Son at Parris Island last year (4/16 Grad date) and who is now deployed, I know the pride you feel having a recruit. From one Dad ( and family ) to another, best of luck to you all.

Thanks again to all of you...

I was just sitting here in the truck watching a documentary on the Marines (via NetFlix...streamed to my laptop)...Its called "The Marines".

Its pretty good, starts with the yellow steps, bounces around some between PI and officers candidate training at Quantico...but it has been informative.

Marine Family Free Member
    Credits
    Savings

My son just left for Parris Island Monday 4/11

I'm looking for support. I am anxious but proud of my son's decision. I'm hoping to meet other parents who I can communicate with.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeppysmom View Post
    I'm looking for support. I am anxious but proud of my son's decision. I'm hoping to meet other parents who I can communicate with.
    I don't know if it will help you...but I find comfort in learning about what my son will be going through at Parris Island.

I think/hope me knowing as much as I can will help me help him when he needs that support/kick in the pants that was mentioned earlier.

I'm still new at this, thats the best advice I can offer.

On another note...while watching that documentary I mentioned earlier...I couldn't help welling up with pride!

Knowing I raised a son that has the dedication to his country, the sense of honor, and the courage that it takes to be a Marine...its beyond words.

Ridgerunner- There will be plenty of proud moments in your future. My son graduated his MOS school wed.(in the top 5!!) and moved to his PDS the same day. He loves it and is doing great!

Jeppysmom-Hang on, it's a hell of a ride....but worth every minute. When you see them for the first time on FAMILY DAY, you will be amazed! Check your Private Messages.

Hello again...the only new news is about the statewide competition between the poolees.

It was held in WV...the TN crew kicked butt.

My son has gained 10 lbs since his last weigh in (he needed to gain weight, he was 1 pound underweight last time)

I meant to say the Johnson City, TN crew kicked butt!!!

5 more days...he leaves Sunday.

Ridgerunner, make sure you go back and re-read the posts, after Sunday you'll be laying awake in bed, waiting for that late night scripted call that your Son has arrived. I was lucky enough to sneak in a quick "Love you Son" with a quick response.

I can only reiterate what has been said, it will be MUCH tougher than he expected, write often, and make sure the letters are up beat and positive. He'll need this home reinforcement when he questions his choice. With our first batch of letters, we sent pre addressed and stamped envelopes, pad and pens. Every little bit of time saved helps these young Recruits.

If he has a Girlfriend make sure she doesn't get cute and scent her letters or send a musical card....ask me how I know about this..LOL.

Good Luck to you and yours.

Ridgerunner665 wish your son all the best the Marine Corps has to offer him and you.

Quote Originally Posted by Ridgerunner665 View Post
    5 more days...he leaves Sunday.
    Good Luck to your son -and to you - Mine has 51/2 weeks left and is doing well. I watched the Documentary you mentioned - pretty good stuff
    Johnson City use to be my old stomping grounds Down Home Pick'n Parlor and Holston Lake

Phone call received 5 minutes ago...my son has arrived safely at Parris Island.

Thread Information