Two very powerful videos-Civil War Vets & Fallen Marine, Vietnam War
Create Post

Two very powerful videos-Civil War Vets & Fallen Marine, Vietnam War

Since Tuesday marks the 150th anniversary of the Civil War and having two ancestors having served in the Civil War, one as a doctor and another in the Union Army and being the history enthusiast that I am, I've spent the morning browsing info and videos.

I'd like to share two very moving videos I found today ... one about Civil War Veterans and another that my browsing simply led me to about a Fallen Vietnam War Marine. Both are very moving and powerful videos.

You will find the video featuring the story of Lance Corporal Groomes here:

http://youtu.be/ZNzw69H1c-k

It is also featured on the Vietnam Veterans Memorial Fund link:
    https://vvmf.salsalabs.com/o/60500/p...ack=033011eMax

The other video about Civil War Veterans is equally moving:
    http://youtu.be/MIJaxu3w4-U

God Bless you all!

Marine Friend Free Member USNAviator's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    Jeanne thank you very much for both stories.The Max story was very moving as well the old Civil War vets but for different reasons. They got to live out their lives but Max and 58,244 others did not

As a native Virginian, I can overlook your kins indiscretion for serving on the Yankee side.......

Thanks again Jeanne

Thanks for watching, Dan. I just found both videos worth every minute of watching. Both good reminders of what has been sacrificed during the course of our history by brave fighting men.

Quote Originally Posted by USNAviator View Post

As a native Virginian, I can overlook your kins indiscretion for serving on the Yankee side.......

My roots also go back to Kentucky too. I can't say I've got a brave and handsome Confederate soldier in my genes, but I can still say I came up from South ... in part anyway.

God Bless us all ...

Thanks for posting the videos.

Those were very moving videos Jeanne. I appreciate the links. Remembering Max was almost too tough to watch, knowing the way my Son is as a person.

In line with the thread's recognition of the 150th anniversary of the Civil War, if someone could find this book (it's currently out of print apparently), it contains a pretty poignant, as well as a pretty harsh, look at one of the most difficult times in our Country's history:
    Ever True: Civil War Letters of Seward’s New York 9th Heavy Artillery of Wayne and Cayuga Counties

It appears that if someone liked "Letters From Iwo Jima," this might make them really appreciate a time even longer past.

If you Google "Ever True: A Privates and his wife" you can read several of the 1st year's letter from a young married soldier to his wife during the early stages of the conflict.

Thread Information