Enlistment question
Closed Thread
    Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings

Enlistment question

Hello there, i'm wondering if it is enough with a green card to enlist in the marine corps? Or do you need to be a citizen? Thank you.

No profile, no answers...and use the search bar. This topic has been convered before.
    And read the rules in the poolee and Ask A Marine forums also.

yes you can enlist with a green card

Last edited by Sgt Leprechaun; 04-12-11 at 04:26 AM.

Yes, that is all you basically need.

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by Sgt Leprechaun View Post
    Yes, that is all you basically need.
    Ok, you don't need a high school diploma? Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by RNoAF View Post
    Ok, you don't need a high school diploma? Thank you.
    The people who responded took it for granted you had a high school diploma. You WILL require the HS diploma or a GED with a minimum of 15 credit hours at university.

Your question was vague and you ended up with some incorrect answers. Please attempt to detail your question better to get the best answers possible.

Marine Friend Free Member USNAviator's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    For enlistment purposes, the military breaks education into three overall categories: Tier 1, Tier 2, and Tier 3. The vast majority (over 90 percent) of all enlistments are from the Tier 1 category.

Tier I

Applicants in Tier I have a high school diploma, or at least 15 college credits. This means a high school diploma, not a GED. Depending on state law, completion of high school by home study may or may not be considered equivelant to a high school diploma.

Tier II
    Tier II includes GEDs, home study (in some states), Certificate of Attendance, Alternative/Continuation High School, Correspondence School Diplomas, and Occupational Program Certificate (Vo/Tech). The services limit the number of Tier II candidates it will allow to enlist each year.
    In the Air Force, the limit is less than one percent each year. In such cases, the applicant must score a minimum of 50 on the AFQT to qualify (Note: The "AFQT" is the overall ASVAB score).
    The Army will allow up to 10 percent each year to be Tier II candidates, but they must score a minimum of 50 on the AFQT.
    The Marines will only allow about 5 percent each year to be Tier II, and the Navy about 10 percent. Like the Army and Air Force, Tier II recruits must score a minimum of 50 on the AFQT to qualify.
    The Coast Guard only accepts Tier 2 candidates if they have prior military service, and even then requires them to score higher on the AFQT (50 for prior Coast Guard Service, 65 for prior service in other branches).

Tier III
    Individuals who are not attending high school and are neither high school graduates nor alternative credential holders. The services almost never accept a Tier 3 candidate for enlistment. If you fall into this category, your best bet is to get at least 15 college credits, so that you will be qualified as Tier I.

Credits
    Savings
    In order to join the US Military, you must either be a US citizen, or you must be a legal permanent immigrant, physically living in the United States, with a green card. The US military cannot and will not assist with the immigration process. If you are not a US citizen, you must legally and permanently immigrate to the United States first, via the regular immigration procedures and quotas, establish a residence, and then visit a military recruiter's office and apply for enlistment.

For enlistment purposes, citizens of the United States include citizens of: Guam, Puerto Rico, The U.S. Virgin Islands,The Northern Marianas Islands, American Samoa, The Federated States of Micronesia, and The Republic of the Marshall Islands.

Not all legal immigrants may be eligible to enlist. Applicants who have been residents of countries considered hostile to the interests of the United States require a waiver. See your local recruiter for the most current list of countries considered hostile to the interests of the United States.

While non-citizens may enlist, they will find their job choices extremely limited. DOD policy prohibits granting security clearances to non-U.S. Citizens. Therefore, non-Citizens. who enlist in the United States military will be limited to those jobs which do not require a security clearance.

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by DrZ View Post
    The people who responded took it for granted you had a high school diploma. You WILL require the HS diploma or a GED with a minimum of 15 credit hours at university.

Your question was vague and you ended up with some incorrect answers. Please attempt to detail your question better to get the best answers possible.
    Yes, sorry about that, i'll remember that next time. I do have a high school diploma, only thing is that in my home country, you only attend 12 years of school, then go on to college, so my question is this: Will my 12 year diploma be sufficient? I am a car mechanic if it makes any difference. I have also served one year in the Air Force, as a base guard, but never been deployed.

Thank you for your help and answers.

Credits
    Savings
    Yes, sorry about that, i'll remember that next time. I do have a high school diploma, only thing is that in my home country, you only attend 12 years of school, then go on to college, so my question is this: Will my 12 year diploma be sufficient? I am a car mechanic if it makes any difference. I have also served one year in the Air Force, as a base guard, but never been deployed.

Thank you for your help and answers.
    Did you serve in US Air Force?

So you were part of Kongelige Norske Luftforsvaret? I take it you did your 1 year mandatory service. This may or may not assist you in joining the Marines. I recommend you take all your information... Education, birth certificate, green card, and military discharge and visit a recruiter. They will have a better chance of providing you with proper information.

I don't believe we can do better than we have already posted.

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by USNAviator View Post
    Did you serve in US Air Force?
    No, the Norwegian.

Credits
    Savings
    No, the Norwegian.
    So you live in Norway at the present time? If so, have you started the immigration process to come to the US?

Credits
    Savings
    So you were part of Kongelige Norske Luftforsvaret? I take it you did your 1 year mandatory service. This may or may not assist you in joining the Marines. I recommend you take all your information... Education, birth certificate, green card, and military discharge and visit a recruiter. They will have a better chance of providing you with proper information.

Larry according to his profile he still lives in Norway. I'm good but I don't have the number for a local Marine recruiter in Kristiansand........

Bingo. Answer given. Closed for the good of the order.

Thread Information