Trying to get back into the corps
Create Post

Trying to get back into the corps

I"m a little new to this forum thing so i'll just say what's going on. i've been out of the corps for about 4 years now and i've been talking to a prior service recruiter about getting back in. i'm filling out the last of the AR package right now.

i'm a little stuck on the "why i want to reenlist" letter". i've never been much of a write. anyone have any advice for me? not just on the letter. any advice at all would be appreciated.

I had hernia surgery right after i got out. anyone know if that could be an issue?

Thanks
    Semper Fi

Well the big question is, why do you want to reenlist? If you have definitive reasons then it should be a no brainer...

Talk about the brotherhood of Marines and always knowing exactly what to do in any given situation. Talk about tradition and honor. Discuss all the things you learned about in boot and anything that gave you focus and direction during your first tour.

They want to know you are just not another person who got out and then couldn't find a job.

Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by DrZ View Post
    Talk about the brotherhood of Marines and always knowing exactly what to do in any given situation. Talk about tradition and honor. Discuss all the things you learned about in boot and anything that gave you focus and direction during your first tour.

They want to know you are just not another person who got out and then couldn't find a job.

Good luck.

Thanks man i'll have to work on it. i've missed the corps since i got out but it wasn't until i started school i realized how much. there're a lot of former service members at the shcool i'm going to and it's really shown me how much i only get along with other marines.

Quote Originally Posted by SgtMcCrory View Post
    Thanks man i'll have to work on it. i've missed the corps since i got out but it wasn't until i started school i realized how much. there're a lot of former service members at the shcool i'm going to and it's really shown me how much i only get along with other marines.
    Your profile needs a major update, Semper Fidelis.

Quote Originally Posted by SGT7477 View Post
    Your profile needs a major update, Semper Fidelis.
    i'll get around to it. i've just got a lot on my plate right now

I had to do the same thing and had the same question. I was more interested in "Why do you want to know"? Its a weird question to ask, why do you want to come back in the Marines. But just answer honestly and you should be good to go.

anyone on here big on grammer or writing? i'm going to post up what i've got letter wise so far that is

Post it up, I will chop it up for you.

Quote Originally Posted by devilbones2 View Post
    Post it up, I will chop it up for you.
    '
    Thanks bro

To whom it may concern,

My name is Samuel L. McCrory and I got out of the Marine Corps in early 2007. During my time out I’ve come to realize that decision was a mistake. I’ve also come to miss all of the things that the Marine Corps brought to my life. The civilian world is well and good, but, after living as a Marine there are too many things that I find unacceptable. There’s a sense of direction and dedication and camaraderie that has been missing since being discharged. I miss putting on my uniform and knowing that the work I’m doing really does make a difference.
    During my time away from the Corps I've held a job for two years at a small start-up company testing and maintaining fuel cells. I’ve also taken some college classes at Devry. While I did enjoy the work and the classes I took, the only real constant seems to be that the people I end up getting along with are other Marines. In school or in work inevitably the topics of conversation always lead back to stories of the good and bad times we had while we were in. I’ve even found myself down at the local recruiter’s station just so I could be around Marines again. In a lot of ways I’m still very much the Marine that I used to be. I still dress within regulation even though it's not necessary. I still work out regularly because physical fitness has, thanks to the Corps, become a part of who I am. The Marine Corps is my family and getting out of the Marine Corps was a mistake. My hope is that it isn't a mistake that can never be fixed

That's double spaced and is about a page. all input is appreciated

You must have been out for too long. That sounds good and all and is probably 100% true, however you need to really sell your self to the Corps and try not to be so negative to the civilian world. Turn it around 180 degrees, instead of saying how you miss putting on your uniform, say what you did when you had it on and how being out made you grow to appreciate it and you will continue to do better than before, if you are allowed to come back in. I know you wanted grammar but it seems a bit negative to me. I think that the USMC still likes to hear all the buzz words, imagine you aren't writing a letter but pleading your case in front of a board. You don't want to sound like you are groveling but show them that its not a mistake to let you back in.

It's not always greener on the other side as you have learned. Best of luck getting back in. I was also a "retread" and lucky enough to be given a second chance. Lost all my time in grade as a sergeant and of course the year I was out. The waiver to keep my sergeant stripe was approved however (this was back in the late 70's).

Only thing I would change in your letter is replace comraderie with esprit de corps as I believe that term is more appropriate in this instance.

Quote Originally Posted by Tennessee Top View Post
    It's not always greener on the other side as you have learned. Best of luck getting back in. I was also a "retread" and lucky enough to be given a second chance. Lost all my time in grade as a sergeant and of course the year I was out. The waiver to keep my sergeant stripe was approved however (this was back in the late 70's).

Only thing I would change in your letter is replace comraderie with esprit de corps as I believe that term is more appropriate in this instance.
    Good catch. Thanks bro!

Thread Information