Looking to identify a relative - Sioux Indian, US Marine, died in WW2 - Please help!
Create Post
    Marine Friend Free Member Viperchick's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings

Question Looking to identify a relative - Sioux Indian, US Marine, died in WW2 - Please help!

Hi, I'm in Australia and I'm trying to find out the identity of my husband's grandfather.

We are told he was a Sioux Indian, US Marine Corp, who died in WW2. He came to Australia whilst on leave in about mid 1944.

My husband's grandmother was pregnant when he died in about November 1944 and she might have told some of the family his name, but that's not remembered.

Otherwise, we don't know anything else about him.

Any ideas on how I could go about finding out who he was would be gratefully received.

Thanks,
    Vanessa

Marine Friend Free Member USNAviator's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by Viperchick View Post
    Hi, I'm in Australia and I'm trying to find out the identity of my husband's grandfather.

We are told he was a Sioux Indian, US Marine Corp, who died in WW2. He came to Australia whilst on leave in about mid 1944.

My husband's grandmother was pregnant when he died in about November 1944 and she might have told some of the family his name, but that's not remembered.

Any ideas on how I could go about finding out who he was would be gratefully received.

Thanks,
    Vanessa

I'll assume the family checked the birth records to see if the father's name had been recorded?

With so little to go on I'd say it would be next to impossible to find out who he was

Without an accurate date of death, hometown, state etc I don't see how you could find out any info at all

My only suggestion is to contact USMC Headquarters via a letter explaining what you are looking for. There is a moderator on here Sgt Lep, who does have some great data sources, perhaps when he comes aboard he may be able to give you a better suggestion

I'm not sure if deaths were recorded by ethnicity during WW2, so the Indian part may not be of any help

Sorry I could not be of any more help. Good luck to you

Credits
    Savings
    Images

!

Vanessa,

I have been doing Genealogy for 20 years on my own family so I know a bit about Genealogy research. ….First off, you know the grandfather was not a code talkers that was the Navajo’s which leaves us trying to know your husband’s last name it would be the same as his Grandfather’s unless your husband’s father, your husbands Grandfather’s son didn’t take ownership of his son (your husband) in other words giving your husband his family name…… You can start here if your husband’s name is the same as his fathers name otherwise you are at a dead end and your trail ends there.

The Chippewa and (Sioux means ‘Little Snake’ aka Dakota Indians North or South Tribes) joined the Iroquois in declaring war on the Axis of powers in WWII and enter into the War with America.

Here is a link to our National Archives below which will give you all Nations community address. http://www.indians.org./Resource/Fed...dtribes99.html

Quote Originally Posted by Viperchick View Post

Thanks,
    Vanessa

Marine Friend Free Member USNAviator's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by Riven37 View Post
    Vanessa,

I have been doing Genealogy for 20 years on my own family so I know a bit about Genealogy research. ….First off, you know the grandfather was not a code talkers that was the Navajo’s which leaves us trying to know your husband’s last name it would be the same as his Grandfather’s unless your husband’s father, your husbands Grandfather’s son didn’t take ownership of his son (your husband) in other words giving your husband his family name…… You can start here if your husband’s name is the same as his fathers name otherwise you are at a dead end and your trail ends there.

The Chippewa and (Sioux means ‘Little Snake’ aka Dakota Indians North or South Tribes) joined the Iroquois in declaring war on the Axis of powers in WWII and enter into the War with America.

Here is a link to our National Archives below which will give you all Nations community address. http://www.indians.org./Resource/Fed...dtribes99.html

Riven good job. I'm over matched when it comes to such things. But since she states she doesn't know anything other than what she posted, I have to agree with you she's at a dead end

Do you know if they stated ethnicity on casualties during WW2?

Marine Friend Free Member Viperchick's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings

Dead end, indeed!

Hi USNAviator and Riven37,

Thanks so much for your input - any input's a help, even if it does show me that I'm up the creek without a paddle (or an M16)! lol

I'll see if I can find dad's birth certificate and if it has anything in it that might help. Plus, I'll ask mum for any of nan's old belongings, in case there are letters from him, etc.

Otherwise, because nan didn't marry the marine, her son (dad) retained nan's first deceased husband's surname, so that's no help either.

I'll try USMC Headquarters, thanks for that. I'm also trying different tribes around Dakota... maybe they have kept some records or know something that can help.

Riven37, I've been doing genealogy for 1 hour and I'm already frustrated! I don't know how you can go for 20 years and not want to voluntarily sign yourself into an institution! lol

Thanks again, much appreciated!

While viperchick's info appears sketchy, it may in fact be a boon to finding who her husband's biological grandfather may have been.

That is, native Americans apparently were eager to sign up and serve after Pearl Harbor. In that enthusiasm, an important clue comes out: he was in the Marine Corps!

Now, of all native Americans who were in the Marines,

1) Who (what unit[s] that native Americans were serving in) would have been in the T/O that used Australia for R&R around mid-late 1944?

2) Now, what casualty lists exist for the Pacific Theater (on the assumption the initial drive for draftees and volunteers was for the ETO, therefore native American casualties may make up a smaller list to have to go thru) for Nov., 1944?

3) What native American casualties are noted and (hopefully) from what unit?

4) Viperchick's husband's grandmother was how old when his mother was born? (This is a clue to possibly how young the Marine would have been.)

Generally speaking, it probably is safe to assume the Marine was likely very close to 20, therefore born about 1924.

5) Now what Military records compiled in the Theater he most likely was in indicate a Marine KIA around Nov., 1944 who was a native American (if lucky, affiliation or tribe might be noted)?

6) Voila, at least a start. Not an easy road to travel, but the signposts are few and far between, but there are "quiet" clues nonetheless. Just a thought.

Hi Venessa,
    Did you ever get any further information. I am in a very similar situation. It's just brick wall after brick wall. My Grandfather was bomber crew and I have less in fo than you do.
    Phil

We used to have several Native American's who was active here. I haven't seen them in quite some time. They were pretty good at tracking Native American Marines. I will give you their user names. There is a way to e-mail them through LN. It's a long shot, but might be worth the effort.
    Danny Smith........Yellowing. Find them in the members list. Good luck.

Super Moderator Platinum Member USMC 2571's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    Billy, for some unknown reason yellowwing is not listed anymore as a member on the member list. I don't know why.

Sounds like a Rocky moment to me....

Super Moderator Platinum Member USMC 2571's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    Yes. The name yellow wing, yellowwing, yellowing, is nowhere to be found on this site. And it's too bad, because as you said, maybe he could have helped the OP

Thread Information