getting ready to do 50lb ruck. any advice?
Create Post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings

getting ready to do 50lb ruck. any advice?

As the title states I am getting ready to do 4 mile, 50lb pack carries tomorrow. I have a full frame pack that is for carrying. Any advice or anything from the Marines that have done it? I hear it helps strengthen your back and core.

Credits
    Savings
    Two 25lb vinyl weights from my weight bench, wrapped in a pair of jeans to stop them from moving. Very solid packed and ready to rock.

Phantom Blooper
    Guest Free Member
    Stretch...........

Credits
    Savings
    Thanks Ssgt. Very appreciated! I see you were in Beirut in 83, my father was in Beirut back then.

Drink plenty of water tonight, as I hope you've been doing for as least the past few days, and bring a good amount with you as well. Constant hydration.

Credits
    Savings
    Always. I drink 11-13 glasses a day. I am rather active these days trying to get in shape to earn that title. Thanks for the recommendation.

I could only recommend carrying stuff that one might possibly use during a random hike anywhere USA i.e. binoculars, food, water bottles, rain gear, compass, flashlight. Things that are useful and take a little more technique to pack efficiently. A book or map for when you take a break and are sitting under a poncho eating a sandwich, in the rain. Extra boots and socks to change out after a soaking. Even a few sticks of split firewood - useful items that you may or may not use, toilet paper. Personally i wouldn't even consider humping dead weight that had absolutely no value in the boonies

Credits
    Savings
    Thanks Slinger. To be honest, I am only carrying the dead weight to build my core and back, as well as get used to carrying weight.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Have you built yourself up to it? Covered the same route with not but a couple canteens of water? Maybe done that a few times before slinging on a pack?

I'll say one thing .... if you put on a 50 lb ruck and set out to hump 4 miles then by golly you best cover that entire distance at best time or die trying.

hydrate and streching is the only thing I got for you. Its only a 4 mile hump so nothing to really stress over, humping is actually quite easy. If your going up a hill, swing your arms, lean forward, and remember to breathe, simple things. I was a mule in boot camp so I sat in the back and pushed all the kids that were falling out foward and didn't have much trouble, just put your mind on other things and you'll be done before you know it.

Deadlifts, squats, and pullups also build your back and core

Credits
    Savings
    The path I am taking is extremely familiar. It's the one I have consistently used to drop 80 lbs. I usually use a camelbak but will be D ringing a metal bottle today. I always push for Max speed. That picture is insane!
    Stretching is something I have been doing alot. And weight lifting is as well. Thanks Marines

Credits
    Savings
    Alright Marines, I can't lie. Never done this before lol. I used an ALICE type pack. It HURT, but I refused to quit and I humped it out. Shoulders, neck, and back is sore... but I sweat a storm and it was a great workout and confidence boost.

Next time? try stuffing the bottom of ALICE with packing material - lofty pillow - then place the denim wrapped weights so they ride higher up in the pack. A few people like a load hanging down by the small of the back but most will prefer it up high. Streamline load close to the body and evenly dispersed - more towards the upper middle - usually agrees the best with my back

Thread Information