What about the Marines in WWII?
Create Post
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

What about the Marines in WWII?

Marines...

I'm not one to bellyache much, but if you've been living with this - as I have - for 66 years, it begins to ache a little in your heart of hearts.

A well meaning kid (from the philippines of all places) sent me a message on my face book today asking me if I knew a Richard Winters. I don't know who he was talking about, and I said as much...so I asked him who this guy is. The kid replied that this fellow was an Army guy, a paratrooper in Easy Company.

So, it dawns on me, this kid is talking about somebody who served in Europe. Okay, fine, kid. So, I informed him that I was in the Pacific, fighting the Japanese. He seemed a little disappointed by this.

Now, when I came home from the war the same older knuckleheads who used to stand on the street corners were still standing there, but this time in their Army uniforms, having returned from n. Africa, Italy, France, etc. I came waltzing up in my Marine uniform, and everyone asked me where I had been. I told them about Peleliu and they didn't know what I was talking about. They had barely heard of Okinawa.

It hurt. I went home and took off my uniform and made a vow that if somebody didn't ask me, I sure as hell wouldn't talk about what I did over there. In 1946 I went to the very first 1st Marine reunion in New York, and I didn't know anybody without their dirty faces, salty dungarees and cracked lips. I never went to another reunion until 2006.

To this day the war in Europe still overshadows what we did on those crappy little islands. I've never been a very prideful man, but dammit, one of these days I hope we get what's coming to us.

Even with that TV show that came out about the Pacific...people still don't talk about the Marines. What happend to the Marines in WWII?

Semper Fi
    Sterling G. Mace

Sterling - I believe it is safe for me to say that you have the respect of every Marine, poolee, and squid on this website. It is my sincere desire that that means something to you.

Semper Fi Marine.

P.S. They treated those of us who served in Vietnam like criminals when we came home. I took my uniform the night I came home and not until 40 years later, when I found this site, I never talked about my war. I think you'll like it here, if you would like to tell some of your stories you'll have an attentive audience. Thank you again for your service Sir and being the Marine we all attempted to be.

Sterling,
    I must echo Advanced feelings. My Dad was an Iwo Marine. He was two years your junior and I lost him several years ago. You, my Dad, and your fellow Marines have always been my heroes and I would be proud to shake your hand...and if I could wedge my old butt in my uniform...I would be in the long line of Marines waiting to render you a proper salute.

Welcome home Marine... Job well done!

Mongoose
    Guest Free Member
    Sterling, I really cant answer that. I would venture to say the Army had all the popular faces. Eisenhower, Patton, and Bradley. Not to mention Britains Monty. One thing though. No matter where you served in WW2, you was welcomed home. You have what I sought to achieve. Respect among my brothers.

Gentlemen, thank you. Perhaps I should thump my chest in an Army site. haha. No, this just got my dander up a little bit.

Of course there were so few of us compared to those guys in the Army (this was before the "few, the proud, the Marines); the only guys from the old block that joined the Marines was me, Tommy Collona, and George McNevin. It seems that all the Italians joined the Army or got drafted.

That's a good answer about those famous names, Mongoose.

Otherwise, do you think it was because we were so few? Though I tell you, how anyone could miss all of those Navy boys dying in the Pacific, I don't know.

And do you think because they made that TV show about the Pacific so Hollywood that people missed the point?

Sterling G. Mace

Marine Friend Free Member USNAviator's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    Sterling if don't mind hearing from a Squid who teaches history, the over whelming press coverage went to the ETO during WW2. As did the commitment of manpower generally accepted to be 70-30%. Some of the greatest writers, cartoonist of the war came out of the ETO, Ernie Pyle, Bill Mauldin etc

Another reason, most American are of European stock not Asian. They knew where London, Berlin and Paris were located. Most had never heard of Guadalcanal, Makin and Iwo etc.

Also remember many considered the PTO a Navy war. The lion share of the press went to coverage of Battle of Midway etc and don't forget the press hog Dugout Doug

The Marines were a Corps, an elite fighting force. While virtually everyone could get into the Army, very few made it into the Marines

WW2 was the first real aerial war. I'm sure you remember how lionized pilots were during that time frame. Most of the glamorous pilots flew for the Air Corps in both theaters

I can't explain why you were essentially ignored when you came home. That was a travesty. But also remember the Marines had bad press from groups such as the DAR who wanted to put any returning Marine into rehabilitation camps so you could get readjusted back into society. Thank God those elite b$tches were overruled

Sorry to go on here but how many movies have been made since 1941 regarding the Corps and the PTO in general? Probably a ratio 10:1. ETO-PTO. The Corps has been over looked by many facets of society, other than the Marines themselves and the brothers they fought along side of.

As my three friends mentioned above, we all have the utmost respect and honor for what you and your generation did during WW2.

Fair winds and following seas to you sir

Dan

Basalone, Hayes, and E.B. Sledge (all USMC WWII Pacific) come to mind, along with the Iwo memorial. Don't let some dufus who can't tell the difference between "Band of Brothers" (Dick Wnters) 101st Airborne, and "The pacific" John Basalone, Ira Hayes (Flags of our Fathers), and Sledge, USMC make you feel any less appreciated. Anyone who really knows or cares, knows the sacrifice you made. That goes for every other war/conflict Vet whether it be Viet Nam, Korea, Granada, or any number of times Marines were called upon to do their job. You and all Combat Vets will always hold a special place of respect with us who know. Semper Fi

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave2571 View Post
    A slightly different viewpoint.
    I would be willing to bet that there isn't one American over a certain age who hasn't heard of Iwo Jima.
    How many of those same folks have heard of Salerno, Anzio, Monte Cassino, San Pietro, the Rapido River?
    Not many.
    Iwo Jima is much more well-known than those locations where the 36th (Texas) Division fought in World War II.
    One kid on a forum who doesn't know Army from Marines---I don't know if that's representative of what Americans know about WWII.
    I have never heard any of the above-mentioned Italian Campaigns battles mentioned by anyone. But Iwo Jima is a household word(s).
    Agree Dave but I think what made it a household word was Rosenthal.s photo. That photo was on the cover of virtually every newspaper 2 days after it was taken.

Credits
    Savings
    Above all----maybe one kid on a forum doesn't know any better, but to the average American, I think what the Corps did in the Pacific is just as remembered as what the Army did in Europe. Certainly it was just as important. And I think people know that.

Having said that, who outside the Corps has heard of Bougainville?
    But who has heard of Monte Cassino either?

Keep in mind that we're talking about one individual on a forum who did not know his history.
    Sorry Sterling don't mean to hijack your thread. Dave and I can tend to do that.....lol

Dave ask your average college educated 25 yo who were our allies in WW2 and I'll bet he or she can't tell you the correct answer. BTW that is on the US Citizenship test

Last one from me on this topic Zoomie....

A slightly different viewpoint.
    I would be willing to bet that there isn't one American over a certain age who hasn't heard of Iwo Jima.
    How many of those same folks have heard of Salerno, Anzio, Monte Cassino, San Pietro, the Rapido River?
    Not many.
    Iwo Jima is much more well-known than those locations where the 36th (Texas) Division fought in World War II.
    One kid on a forum who doesn't know Army from Marines---I don't know if that's representative of what Americans know about WWII.
    I have never heard (recently) any of the above-mentioned Italian Campaign battles mentioned by anyone. But Iwo Jima is a household word(s).
    It wasn't about what the kid said that bugged me. It was everything that I've experienced since the war. The other day there was all this talk on the face book about this guy Shifty Power's book, fighting in Europe.

Now, I'm not knocking anyone who fought in Europe. They did their part like I did mine.

I'll tell you what might be a little telling. Or maybe not. When we were on Okinawa, and they told us the war was over in Europe, the first thing out of Junior Hudson's mouth was, "Hey, maybe we can get the Germans to come help us now, huh?"

For what it's worth (and though we knew it was only half a joke), we all pretty much agreed it wasn't a bad idea.

Sterling G. Mace

Quote Originally Posted by Sterling Mace View Post
    It wasn't about what the kid said that bugged me. It was everything that I've experienced since the war. The other day there was all this talk on the face book about this guy Shifty Power's book, fighting in Europe.

Now, I'm not knocking anyone who fought in Europe. They did their part like I did mine.

I'll tell you what might be a little telling. Or maybe not. When we were on Okinawa, and they told us the war was over in Europe, the first thing out of Junior Hudson's mouth was, "Hey, maybe we can get the Germans to come help us now, huh?"

For what it's worth (and though we knew it was only half a joke), we all pretty much agreed it wasn't a bad idea.

Sterling G. Mace
    Shifty Powers was a soldier in the 101st Airborne, and was featured in Band of Brothers. If you haven't seen "Band of Brothers" or "The Pacific" HBO series yet you need to see both. Although I did enjoy the "Band Of Brothers" series more, only because it delved more into the actual fighting the 101st did in Europe, and "The Pacific" seemed to focus more on what the individual Marine was experiencing mentally island hopping in the Pacific. Both are good docu-dramas about WWII though.

Quote Originally Posted by EGTSpec View Post
    Shifty Powers was a soldier in the 101st Airborne, and was featured in Band of Brothers. If you haven't seen "Band of Brothers" or "The Pacific" HBO series yet you need to see both. Although I did enjoy the "Band Of Brothers" series more, only because it delved more into the actual fighting the 101st did in Europe, and "The Pacific" seemed to focus more on what the individual Marine was experiencing mentally island hopping in the Pacific. Both are good docu-dramas about WWII though.
    I've seen a little bit of the Band of Brothers and I was invited to the red carpet premier of the Pacific in New Orleans. I've seen that one too.

The Pacific, while well meaning, was quite a bunch of Hollywood. My daughter says I should post this. I think I was misquoted once or twice, but that's okay...sometimes I don't make sense.

http://www.tampabay.com/features/med...cle1079385.ece

I hope you can read this thing.

Sterling G. Mace

By the way, when is your book coming out, any date yet for 2011??
    Dave,
    It goes to press in July I believe, which should mean about 6 months later. At least that's what they're telling me. I can't wait too much longer though or I'll die. hahaha.

Sterling G. Mace

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by Sterling Mace View Post
    I've seen a little bit of the Band of Brothers and I was invited to the red carpet premier of the Pacific in New Orleans. I've seen that one too.

The Pacific, while well meaning, was quite a bunch of Hollywood. My daughter says I should post this. I think I was misquoted once or twice, but that's okay...sometimes I don't make sense.

http://www.tampabay.com/features/med...cle1079385.ece
    Sterling thank you for sharing that interview. Unfortunately, truth doesn't sell all that well in Hollywood

Mr. Mace,
    I also want to offer my gratitude and admiration for your service to our country as a U.S. Marine, fighting in the Pacific in WW II. My Dad was one of you, fighting on Iwo Jima at the young age of only 16. He always said that America was too caught up in the victory in Europe celebrations and the public perception that the real war was about Europe, not the Pacific. The great distance from America and the horrific casualties on small unknown islands, that for a long time was kept from the public, all of this contributed to a lack of interest by many Americans. I too think that the recent series was too politicized by the producers who strayed away from the formula used in Band of Brothers. I look forward to your book being published and plan on reading it.
    Semper Fi, Scott

Thread Information