What about the Marines in WWII? - Page 4
Create Post
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Though an older post, I have to say that as I was only 2 when the US entered WWII, I well remember being enthralled by the Sunday News (New York Times paper, I think) having Sunday "maps" that showed the progress in the war. As I recall, both fronts were covered in the paper.

But not knowing or hearing placenames was not as significant to me as my memory of putting the maps on the wall AND having a "favorite" toy that was Tojo hanging from a yardarm, then pulling the string would get his legs to "jiggle" really sticks in mind even to today.

For that toy to even exist suggests to me that the Pacific, and particularly the Japanese, involvement had more coverage than what some may think. But I have to admit, it's just my recall.

Credits
    Savings
    I grew up with World War II firmly implanted in my mind. I read a lot of books about it. Watched the Victory at Sea series and other stuff on the early B&W TVs. Movies. My uncle was a Army Captain in the Amphibious Engineers. He had the highest respect for Marines and advised me to join when the time came. Wounded somewhere (Philipines? Oki?) when a kamikazi hit the ship he was on. Anyway...kids today are undereducated unless they seek it themselves. I saw a study where most had no idea was OJ was on trial for...and a lot had no idea who he was...

August 15th to August 30, 1945 I was aboard ship,
    the USS Grimes, heading for Japan for the occupation
    of the Yokosuka Bay area.

Marine Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Talking as someone from that "dumb" generation that doesn't know anything about it, something I've always found is that Hitler is a household name, Hirohito not so much. I've always personally known much more about the European front then anything in the Pacific. Namely since having two relatives over on that side (one a bombardier on a B25 in the Army Air Corps and the other a German Feldwebel or Sergeant) and no one in the Pacific pushed that interest away from there beyond the major fights (Pearl Harbour, battle of Midway, Iwo Jima, Hiroshama/Nagasaki and the Manhattan project in general) and it's always seemed that way with most people around my age that I know. No one really hates anything that Marines did and always respect them (assuming they respect military at all), it's just not that popular all together. Hell, look at anything involving WWII and it's pretty much all Europe.

Mr. Mace: My dad served as a corpsmen on Okinawa, he was there for the entire fight. After the war was over, he was part of the marines who occupied China. He came home well after the war, and so saw none of the accolades. But, he did not want them. His group was destroyed by the enemy, only 3 of 250 survived. he never went to a reunion, had no one to write, or talk to. Every April, he never slept. He went on to do good things, and I'm sure you did to. Although I am not military, I hope I don't offend you by saying, "Semper Fi"!

talk to any marine does not mateer when they where in ask about Wake, Okie, iwo and he will know about them ask him who Edison, Boyington are. Now go to an Army guy and ask him about Kasserine Pass, Bastogne are, and who Murphy, Clark or Arnold where so to all you Marine WWII vets you are rememberwd and love as Brothers by those who count your fellow Marines

Thread Information