MOS change
Create Post

Thread: MOS change

MOS change

I just got my program, 06xx, communications field. When I was choosing my program my recruiter told me that this was the field with electrician. I found out the other day that it isn't. I told my recruiter that I wasn't going to ship with this program and he said he would contact recruiting command and that they would be able to give one of my other choices. Is this true? Has this happened to anyone else? If so how did it work out?

I'm in the same boat man. My recruter just told me that he signed me up for a Communications Electrition job and showed me all the paperwork, lets just say I was not extatic about this. I want to be fighting and doing the dirty work, not changing lightbulbs...but if I do end up going to RT with this still as my MOS, I'm going to make the best of it and do the job as well as I can no matter what. I want to become a Marine more than I want any specific job. My recruiter has told me that this isn't finalized and can deffinitaly change, so I'm staying on top of making sure I know what jobs have come out recently so when I see something I'm better suited for I can jump on it. They can't promise you one of your top choices if you're already DEPd in, but they can for sure work with you to have the best chance possible of getting something you really want. Just make sure you keep your eyes open for new jobs that come out.

You can get an MOS change anytime up until you hit the MEPS that second time. But be aware your ship date will change, the contract you signed was for a spot reserved for that MOS.

Quote Originally Posted by Pwork703 View Post
    I want to be fighting and doing the dirty work, not changing lightbulbs...but if I do end up going to RT with this still as my MOS, I'm going to make the best of it and do the job as well as I can no matter what. I want to become a Marine more than I want any specific job..
    That's the way I look at it too. I want to become a Marine way more then i want a specific job. I just don't want to be stuck doing some job that I'll hate.

Quote Originally Posted by MunkyVsRobot View Post
    You can get an MOS change anytime up until you hit the MEPS that second time. But be aware your ship date will change, the contract you signed was for a spot reserved for that MOS.
    That's good to hear. When I went to MEPS I DEP'd in open contract. Will my ship date still change?

That's good to hear. When I went to MEPS I DEP'd in open contract. Will my ship date still change?[/quote]

Nope. Because you enlisted open contract (like me) when your recruiter is looking for jobs for you, he is most likely finding ones that are available for your ship date. If you're ready to leave sooner and a job opens up that you like along with a spot at RT, you can take that. If you had a guaranteed MOS when you enlisted and now were deciding that you wanted a different job then your ship date would change depending on the availabilty of that job.

Thats how it was explained to me, and to better my odds at getting a MOS that I want I have told my recruiter that I'm willing to go to boot camp at any time. I have nothing holding me back besides wanting to have a perfect IST before shipping.

Quote Originally Posted by PooleeMcGuire View Post
    That's the way I look at it too. I want to become a Marine way more then i want a specific job. I just don't want to be stuck doing some job that I'll hate.

That's good to hear. When I went to MEPS I DEP'd in open contract. Will my ship date still change?

No not if you are presently still on an open contract. But if you get a job and then want to change it to something else there is a big possibility itll change.

Thread Information