question reguarding weighted packs/vest
Create Post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

question reguarding weighted packs/vest

today, just for kicks, i filled my book bag with 45lbs of weights and walked around with it, not a lot (on the way to the train, from the train to my job and returning, although there was a lot of standing on the platform waiting for the train) it was kind of uncomfortable around the top and in between my shoulder blades, and later on my legs and hips were feeling it. it wasn't a pain i couldn't deal with and it faded as soon as the pack came off. i was just wondering has anyone tried this and gotten serious back or leg pain? i figured it would be good to adjust to carrying this much weight now because of the humps in boot camp, and i know they carry more weight in training but i thought 45 would be a breeze and that thought left me in about 5 min( i might go down to 30 and work my way up). also has anone tried this and had good results? like more leg/ back strength or an increase in speed on runs? i was also contemplating getting a weight vest but with only about 2 months before i leave i don't know if it'd be worth it. thanks for any input.

PooleeGewarges
    Guest Free Member
    That is because you are wearing a book bag, very bad on your shoulders, it pulls you downward. I bought my self a hiking pack, which distributes the load of weight.

Something cheap like this, http://salestores.com/outdoo06.html

Although I got myself a much expensive one that has a larger inner frame and bigger waist buckles and chest buckles. I stuff mine with clothes and try to equal out the weight, then I would place a 25lb dumbbell somewhere between the clothes. Works great. Make sure your humps last over an hour.

yea i was thinking bout that, i was thinking maybe i could use some Velcro straps to pull in the bag straps and get the weight supported across my chest and back and pull the straps off the edge of my shoulders, or i could always get a weight vest, i should check which would be cheaper. has the hiking pack helped u much?

gewarges you have 25 pull ups? nice > i got you beat on the run time though.

looking at your guys numbers i really need to step my game up, im gong infantry too, im putting 110% into all my training and my numbers have gone up alot but im still far off from y'all

PooleeGewarges
    Guest Free Member
    Yes, the humps helped greatly in improving my core strength. The hiking pack works like a charm.

25 pullups, eh, I am trying to aim for more. I am also trying to get a better time. One poolee at my station, who is now a Marine, is currently holding the record of pullups at our station. He did 40 pullups.

We are all great in certain areas, but we must all strive to excel in those areas. We all have weaknesses too, so just because you see someone that has a better IST than you, do not feel let down. It is up to you to improve YOURSELF and excel on your body.

hell yea! your numbers r just motivation for me to push myself further

PooleeGewarges
    Guest Free Member
    Quote Originally Posted by holey336 View Post
    hell yea! your numbers r just motivation for me to push myself further
    http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/member.php?u=79257

Those PFT numbers are motivating me to push myself harder as well.
    You will excel with your IST Holey, believe me, it takes hard work and dedication but anything is possible with the right amount of motivation.

I think im going to make a thread for us infantry guys, my Buddy i graduated High school with is at SOI west right now on the Marsoc indoc, and he's gonna keep me updated on how it is.

Credits
    Savings
    "UFC fighters are trained for a five round fight. Marines are training to kill you in five seconds," - Former Marine
    Hey Gewarges, it's a great quote but change the Former Marine to anything but what it currently says. There is no such thing as a Former Marine.

PooleeGewarges
    Guest Free Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bagwell916 View Post
    Hey Gewarges, it's a great quote but change the Former Marine to anything but what it currently says. There is no such thing as a Former Marine.
    There isn't? A Marine stated this quote, a former Marine. What do you want me to say? Active-duty Marine? Marine in general?

I hiked 3 miles in about 30-40 minutes yesterday with 45lb backpack (doing MARSOC workout). Those cheap backpacks really do hurt a lot, but I can fight through it if I put my hands between the pack and my shoulders for a few minutes. I just not try to take the pack off because I can't do that at bootcamp either.

But seriously guys, lets get back to topic because I really need to know this, too. Do you think using a cheap backpack can cause injuries if you put so much weight in them? Or should I get one of those rucks our troops use in combat?

Quote Originally Posted by Bagwell916 View Post
    Yes there is. You're half right. There is no such thing as an ex-Marine. Different interpretations of the quote. My uncle declares himself a Former Marine. There is also Veteran Marine, Retired Marine. No ex-Marine.

By the way, to the post above, you have your answer in the thread already. A regular backpack, like say, a Jansport or school bag will not even distribute the weight. It's bad for your back because it will bring you down.

PooleeGewarges
    Guest Free Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BestModeEngaged View Post
    I hiked 3 miles in about 30-40 minutes yesterday with 45lb backpack (doing MARSOC workout). Those cheap backpacks really do hurt a lot, but I can fight through it if I put my hands between the pack and my shoulders for a few minutes. I just not try to take the pack off because I can't do that at bootcamp either.

But seriously guys, lets get back to topic because I really need to know this, too. Do you think using a cheap backpack can cause injuries if you put so much weight in them? Or should I get one of those rucks our troops use in combat?
    As much as the humps hurt, I would suggest not to put your hands between the pack and your shoulders again. From what I know based on Marines and the web, you carry your rifle during the humps, so you need to get used to the pain and not think about it. IMO.

yea so far i move the straps from my outter shoulder to closer to my neck and just adjust every 5-10 minutes or whenever it gets unbarable, i dont know if i should by a hiking back back as suggested or a weight vest, weight vest cost alot considering how long im here for but at least weights distrbuted evenly hiking back packs are kind of large considering i want to take it on the train everyday to and from work, besides from just humps

Thread Information