Orthotics in Boot Camp
Create Post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Exclamation Orthotics in Boot Camp

I have been recently having shin splints due to my low arches, slight over pronation and size (6'6 235lbs). I leave for Boot camp in june and i've noticed that orthotics really help while I am running long distances. I've read they don't give you orthotics for this kind of thing in boot camp so I was wondering if it would be a terrible idea to try and sneak them in by wearing them in my socks. Would it even be possible to do??

Marine Friend Free Member USNAviator's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by WolvesTE84 View Post
    I have been recently having shin splints due to my low arches, slight over pronation and size (6'6 235lbs). I leave for Boot camp in june and i've noticed that orthotics really help while I am running long distances. I've read they don't give you orthotics for this kind of thing in boot camp so I was wondering if it would be a terrible idea to try and sneak them in by wearing them in my socks. Would it even be possible to do??

Jerry thanks for filling out your profile. After you take your socks off, what do you plan on doing with them?

I don't know the process of receiving but I was thinking that I would wear them in my socks until I get my boots and try and put the inserts in there while nobody is watching.

Somebody will see, Jerry Garcia. Prepare for and get used to things that make you uncomfortable.

Barbarosa: Well, the Mexicans got a saying - what cannot be remedied must be endured. ..

Do you have any privacy say while your making a head call? This is honestly the only concern I have with boot camp. I know that a lot of you marines will say something along the lines of "this will be the least of my worries" but I am a lot more physically fit than anybody in my dep and I know I have been broken down mentally more by my physically abusive father and alcoholic step mother over the years than they could possibly do in 3 months. I know I sound cocky but I will get the guide position and I see this problem as possibly the only thing that will get in my way.

Tell your DI's that they dont have **** on your abusive father and alcoholic stepmother, we'll see just how much you can be broke down. As far as a private head call, maybe after lights, but other than that you're gonna **** as a platoon. Here's a riddle for you to think about, how many recruits can a DI fit into a portajohn? Good luck in your endeavors.

Quote Originally Posted by BadAce2212 View Post
    Tell your DI's that they dont have **** on your abusive father and alcoholic stepmother, we'll see just how much you can be broke down. As far as a private head call, maybe after lights, but other than that you're gonna **** as a platoon. Here's a riddle for you to think about, how many recruits can a DI fit into a portajohn? Good luck in your endeavors.
    We got 9 in at one time lol. You're going to go with at least two other recruits in the same toilet almost all the time. As for the orthotics they have inserts for you to buy in the px you will go there as a platoon once a phase

Buy the firm inserts. Firm may seem counter intuitive, but at 235lbs 6ft and 6 inches you were not designed to walk on clouds - the human frame needs support - not gel

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by WolvesTE84 View Post
    Do you have any privacy say while your making a head call?
    This is honestly the only concern I have with boot camp. I know that a lot of you marines will say something along the lines of "this will be the least of my worries" but I am a lot more physically fit than anybody in my dep .
    I know I sound cocky but I will get the guide position and I see this problem as possibly the only thing that will get in my way.
    Aproximately 80 recruits in a platoon , all of whom live in the same squad bay
    Half have a top bunk
    Half have a bottom bunk.

Top bunk , Make a Headcall !
    Two Miniutes!!!!!!

Yah, the bottom bunk gets two miniutes also.After the top bunk returns.
    IF yer real fast, you might be first in line.
    you'll learn its just mind over matter.
    Your Drill Instructors won't mind,
    and you won't matter.

Quote Originally Posted by Hayes129 View Post
    We got 9 in at one time lol.
    Damn you got my platoon beat by 1 haha

No privacy. If you have privacy issues of major proportions, you better start dealing with them NOW and avoid the rush. No privacy, no modesty. Just that simple.

Don't try to 'smuggle' stuff into recruit training....bad idea all the way around.

I have no privacy issues. Maybe it is a bad idea to try and 'smuggle' orthotics into boot camp but in my opinion it is better than going through boot camp with unbearable pain throughout the training. My worst fear is going there and getting dropped from a platoon because of shin splints or even worse a stress fracture from something that I cannot control. If I was caught doing this does anybody know what the punishment would possibly be?

Did you even read what Hayes129 wrote about the ability to buy inserts at the recruit PX

Quote Originally Posted by SlingerDun View Post
    Did you even read what Hayes129 wrote about the ability to buy inserts at the recruit PX
    They're gonna look at your feet in receiving to tell if you'll need..well get inserts. In my platoon our DI's wouldn't let any of us buy inserts unless you came issued with them. You get issued inserts. Also like my fellow Marines have said, you go to the recruit px once every phase, buy more then.

Yes I did, but from my understanding on what i've read, most D.I.'s only allow you to buy things that the platoon needs as a whole and will give you a list of those items of which you may purchase. I wouldn't know from experience though.

Thread Information