What does being out in the field mean?
Create Post

I have a general idea of what it means, but when I'm reading these threads it just says that you'll be going out to the field for a week or 2. This may seem like a stupid question but remember, I'm not a Marine yet so all of this is fairly new and I'm just trying to educate myself on the terminology. I am going eitehr infantry or artillery or tanks, and from what I've heard artillery and infantry spend a lot of time on the field. But what does being out on the field really consist of? So if your out there for 2 weeks lets say, does that mean you dont shower for 2 weeks and you sleep on the ground for 2 week and eat MRE's for 2 weeks? Not that I'm concerned about not showering, if that's what the job calls for that's what I'm going to do....

You have the general idea. When you are out in the field, that is just it. You are out in the FIELD.

Most of your "comforts" will not be with you. No iPad, no shower, no pillow, no Xbox, etc. You will be out under the stars. You will operate under minimal provisions. Eat, sleep, and work in the dirt.

Most of the time, the company will provide a hot meal once in a while, but dont count on it. You will shave with cold water or dry shave on a patrol, brush your teeth with coffee, and sleep whenever you can. And you will stink. But, so will everyone else.

Phantom Blooper
    Guest Free Member
    You go out in the field to set a bivouac site....doing training in your MOS...have mock wars....combat in built up area...urban terrain.....you may do essential subject training.....land navigation...patrolling....live fire...mock fire.....

Every unit/MOS has a SOP and training schedule while at your home base and deployed except while in hostile fire it changes to the situation.

There is allot of down time and not all training unless you are in a workup to go go overseas.

Your stay in the field in inclement weather unless hazardess.....grunts most of the time ate C-rats or MRE's sometime if it was a long time you may get hot chow.

The "field" and training schedule unless called for a national emergency/war is usually the same for each unit year after year.....and play it by ear.....hurry up and wait....and the SITREP may change....

That's the field in da fleet!

The above is correct and how often you do it depends on the type of unit you're in and how much your commanding officer likes to take his unit to the field (some like it more than others).

Once you get back to garrison, then you get to clean all the gear, weapons, etc. and put it all away for the next time. If your training exercise went pretty well (and nobody got killed), the CO typically gives everybody a long weekend off in conjunction with payday...sweet! So, it's always a good idea to work your a$$ off in the field since there's nothing else to do anyway.

Credits
    Savings

Sorta like boyscouts,, out of the house and maybe sleeping in the woods, or at the beach. You'll play fun and games , but rarely learn any rope tying or basket weaving. Roasting Marshmellows , making "smoores", eating sandwiches and goodies made by mom is swapped out with eating what i guess they now days call INSTANT MRE's Just add water.

Credits
    Savings
    Please take note ,, "out in the field" is not to be confused with being "outside the wire."

Thread Information