Disqualified for scarification on wrist
Closed Thread
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
    Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings

Disqualified for scarification on wrist

Hey, I don't really know how forums work so I apologize in advanced if i'm breaking any rules or if this is in the wrong category.

Long story short i have been disqualified from enlistment for a ridiculous reason. I have a design on my wrist that is from scarification. It's not a tattoo because there is no ink but it was done by a tattoo gun with no ink. This disqualified me because they said it was a tattoo. You can barely see it and they wouldn't have even noticed it if i wouldn't have pointed it out.

I have pictures of it here
    http://omegaxea.deviantart.com/

If anybody can tell me if there is ANYTHING i can do please reply. I'm desperate too get into the marines and this is the ONLY thing holding me back. I scored 82nd percentile on the practice ASVAB and have zero health issues. If anybody can give me some information it will be GREATLY appreciated

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MarineInMaking View Post
    Hey, I don't really know how forums work so I apologize in advanced if i'm breaking any rules or if this is in the wrong category.

Long story short i have been disqualified from enlistment for a ridiculous reason. I have a design on my wrist that is from scarification. It's not a tattoo because there is no ink but it was done by a tattoo gun with no ink. This disqualified me because they said it was a tattoo. You can barely see it and they wouldn't have even noticed it if i wouldn't have pointed it out.

I have pictures of it here
    http://omegaxea.deviantart.com/

If anybody can tell me if there is ANYTHING i can do please reply. I'm desperate too get into the marines and this is the ONLY thing holding me back. I scored 82nd percentile on the practice ASVAB and have zero health issues. If anybody can give me some information it will be GREATLY appreciated

Two things: #1 - You need to complete your profile. #2 - this belongs in the Ask A Marine thread in Poolee Hall.

Credits
    Savings
    ok sorry i just made this, i've never done forums before.

Marine Friend Free Member USNAviator's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave2571 View Post
    hmmmmm
    Odd but true Dave.

BTW my daughter use to post some of her art work on Deviantart. First time I saw the link, I thought it said deviant tart, nearly hit the roof

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    That's a tattoo in a no-no place as far as the Marine Corps is concerned. Did you show them this thing at MEPS, or the recruiters? Because at MEPS they would probably see it during the physical and the recruiters would be mad at you for not telling them.

What is the design anyway? The photos are too out-of-focus.

You can ask the recruiters if they will ask for a waiver, but they may not bother. The Corps is full and will be downsizing soon. If the recruiters are making mission on kids without any non-regulation tats, they probably won't bother trying for a tat waiver. Or, they know their boss up the line will deny it anyway. So they figure why bother and tick off the boss?

Happy you got it now?

Credits
    Savings
    well i apologize if it seems strange too you, it just seems a little strange too me that a perfectly healthy and bright young man would be disqualified for such a small thing. The whole reason behind the tattoo rule is so that the corps. looks more professional (or so I've been told) which in this case, it's completely invisible too the naked eye unless pointed out and looked at closely under good lighting.

I'm looking for information, not judgment or your opinions.

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by Zulu 36 View Post
    That's a tattoo in a no-no place as far as the Marine Corps is concerned. Did you show them this thing at MEPS, or the recruiters? Because at MEPS they would probably see it during the physical and the recruiters would be mad at you for not telling them.

What is the design anyway? The photos are too out-of-focus.

You can ask the recruiters if they will ask for a waiver, but they may not bother. The Corps is full and will be downsizing soon. If the recruiters are making mission on kids without any non-regulation tats, they probably won't bother trying for a tat waiver. Or, they know their boss up the line will deny it anyway. So they figure why bother and tick off the boss?

Happy you got it now?
    that's as in focus as the camera could get the design, it's extremely difficult too see as it healed up mostly, it's been there since i was 16. The recruiter tried too get a waiver with the reasoning that it could be considered a "removed tattoo" but it was denied
    and it's just a tribal design with a line wrapping around the underside of my wrist

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave2571 View Post
    No, I mean, the "disqualification for a ridiculous reason" part.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scarification

As well as the idea that scarification is on a completely different level than tattoos.

But he just posted this in the Ask A Marine section. I wonder why one out of a hundred reads the rules first. And they know they should, or else they would not state flat out that they apologize if this is in the wrong place, etc
    So perhaps you have more patience than I do, Commander.
    I am trying to understand the fascination with tattoos and body art, but I guess I'm just out of touch with modern times.
    Thankfully.

Good research Dave as usual and yes I did notice a dup post in Ask a Marine. But I think the powers that be made a correct decission. To me a tattoo is a coloring process while scarification is just as suggested, a scaring process that perhaps is even more damaging.

Tattoos don't bother me, remember I'm Navy but I personally don't have one but to get one anywhere that cannot be covered, such as your face is idiotic. Doesn't Mike Tyson look normal to you??

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MarineInMaking View Post
    well i apologize if it seems strange too you, it just seems a little strange too me that a perfectly healthy and bright young man would be disqualified for such a small thing. The whole reason behind the tattoo rule is so that the corps. looks more professional (or so I've been told) which in this case, it's completely invisible too the naked eye unless pointed out and looked at closely under good lighting.

I'm looking for information, not judgment or your opinions.

Well, you're getting information, just not the information you want. If you really want to be a Marine, get used to people making judgements or rendering opinions about you. As many wanna-be's have been told here, being a Marine is a contact sport. If you can't hack criticism here, you darned sure won't hack it in the Corps.

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by Zulu 36 View Post
    Well, you're getting information, just not the information you want. If you really want to be a Marine, get used to people making judgements or rendering opinions about you. As many wanna-be's have been told here, being a Marine is a contact sport. If you can't hack criticism here, you darned sure won't hack it in the Corps.

I apologize if I seem a little sensitive, it's just my whole future depends on getting into the Marines. I assure that I'll take any good news along with the bad, however i think the thread was getting a little off topic when the debate of whether scarification is considered a tattoo or normal. That's not the information i'm looking for.

Again i'm new too forums and apologize for posting under the wrong category, I've read the rules now (didn't see them before)

I'm trying not too sound like an *******, but i'm an ******* by nature so apologies.

Credits
    Savings
    I posted this a few days ago

"“A Marine with tattoos doesn’t mean you’re a bad Marine,” said Sgt. Maj. William Wiseman, Headquarters and Headquarters Squadron sergeant major. “However, since tattoos are a visual reminder of your personal thoughts, feelings and ideas, a Marine with visible tattoos may not be the best candidate for a high-profile assignment. Since the Marine Corps has the most recognizable uniform in the world, this makes the Corps a high-profile assignment. … You joined the Corps; the Corps didn’t join you.”

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by USNAviator View Post
    I posted this a few days ago

"“A Marine with tattoos doesn’t mean you’re a bad Marine,” said Sgt. Maj. William Wiseman, Headquarters and Headquarters Squadron sergeant major. “However, since tattoos are a visual reminder of your personal thoughts, feelings and ideas, a Marine with visible tattoos may not be the best candidate for a high-profile assignment. Since the Marine Corps has the most recognizable uniform in the world, this makes the Corps a high-profile assignment. … You joined the Corps; the Corps didn’t join you.”

Thank you, you have been the only one on this thread that has given me actual information and thoughts concerning my question. It's not looking good, but I still am going too try too get in somehow.

if anybody can give me information like:
    When did this policy start/why?
    Were there cases similar too mine?
    Have there been tattooed marines who have reached high ranks?

I've been researching all day and cannot for the life of me come up with anything.

Credits
    Savings
    "Long story short i have been disqualified from enlistment for a ridiculous reason. I have a design on my wrist that is from scarification. It's not a tattoo because there is no ink but it was done by a tattoo gun with no ink. This disqualified me because they said it was a tattoo. You can barely see it and they wouldn't have even noticed it if i wouldn't have pointed it out."

We don't make policy here, most of us served for a few years to over 30. We all followed orders, some we did not like but we obeyed.

I'm sorry you think the "rules" are ridiculous but you've been disqualified. End of story, end of discussion. You need to realize that you're not the first and won't be the last and I would suggest if you want to serve your country, try another branch. After all, it's about serving that's most important isn't it?

Good luck to you.

Credits
    Savings
    I would also like too add that I've been preparing for the marines for the last 4 years. I recently got my diploma and have not gone to MEPS yet, just showed the recruiter my wrist and he called somebody too ask if they can get a waiver for it. They said no because it's a tattoo, he then asked if it would be considered a removed tattoo because there is no ink in it. and he said no, it's still a tattoo because it's visible, even though removed tattoos are far more visible than what i have

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by USNAviator View Post
    "Long story short i have been disqualified from enlistment for a ridiculous reason. I have a design on my wrist that is from scarification. It's not a tattoo because there is no ink but it was done by a tattoo gun with no ink. This disqualified me because they said it was a tattoo. You can barely see it and they wouldn't have even noticed it if i wouldn't have pointed it out."

We don't make policy here, most of us served for a few years to over 30. We all followed orders, some we did not like but we obeyed.

I'm sorry you think the "rules" are ridiculous but you've been disqualified. End of story, end of discussion. You need to realize that you're not the first and won't be the last and I would suggest if you want to serve your country, try another branch. After all, it's about serving that's most important isn't it?

Good luck to you.

i have considered Navy, but if anything will get me into the Marines then i will find it out. I'm not giving up on this so easily, which seems too be the popular answer

and the rule seems ridiculous to me. yes, but that is my opinion. I'm sure there's very good reason behind the rule, but I will find a way past it if there is one.

Thread Information