Need help on Afghanistan presentation
Create Post

Need help on Afghanistan presentation

Hello Marines,

I'm doing a slideshow presentation on the Afghanistan War and was having trouble finding certain information. What i was trying to look for is somewhat of a poll which shows what percentage of active duty military of every branch and their thoughts on Afghanistan. If we should stay until the job is finished or start the pull out process as soon as we can, sometime in 2014 according to Obama. Mainly I know most American citizens want out of Afghanistan as soon as possible, but I believe its more important to ask the troops what they think whether we should stay until the job is done or leave, since at the end of the day, the troops are the ones who actually do the work and sacrifice the most. I believe that a majority of the troops want to stay in Afghanistan until the job is done because they have sacrificed a lot form lives, marriages, friends, and time. So do you as Marine want to stay in Afghanistan until "Mission Accomplished" ? or want to start pulling out ASAP?

Thanks in advance

You're just gonna have to google it dude. There's no point in opposing the war, when you're deployed, you're deployed nothing you feel about the war is going to change anything.

That being said, it's a lot of bull***** over there. We fund the Pakistanis, who then fund the Taliban, who then shoot at us from Pakistan or run into Pakistan when we shoot at them. I'd much rather be landing on the shores of tripoli (which would be awesome) carrying out a not very good foreign policy than carrying out a terrible one in Afghanistan.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Devil1087 View Post
    There's no point in opposing the war, when you're deployed, you're deployed nothing you feel about the war is going to change anything.

I've never been deployed to Afghanistan and am no longer on active duty but will offer my opinion as a retired career Marine.

As you indicated, the administration has already decided to end the mission sometime in 2014. All the Taliban has to do is take a "time out" and wait till we're gone. Looks a lot like Vietnam where we sacraficed too much of the nation's precious resources (young lives, money, materiel) just to walk away prior to achieving total victory. With this being the case, I see no reason to continue losing lives over there.

However, our Marines will continue to carry out their mission until they come home.

Go to the "Military Times" website and see what you turn up. That would be the most likely place for something like this.

AND, lets not turn this into a referendum on the 'war'...ANY war. These kids need to focus on enlisting, not political crap (why they can't go into the political section until they are Marines). That's a general statement, not meant to rip anyone here, just a warning.

Anyway...hit military times. I believe this poll has actually been conducted before.

Thank you, the information was helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Sgt Leprechaun View Post
    Anyway...hit military times. I believe this poll has actually been conducted before.
    I seem to recall seeing a few as well via MarineTimes, etc.

I think Devil1087 said it best, I agree with him pretty much across the board, and in my experience it seems to be a prevailing attitude, but I will not speak for other Marines "on the record."

The question isn't whether or not we want to "win (whatever that is)" this war but whether we can "win" as the politicians view a win. The Marine Corps excels in combat, and when tasked with hearts and minds stuff they try their hardest, but that can not overcome the hyper-complex situation the government has some illusion of changing in Afghanistan. You can't accidentally JDAM a bunch of kids and then give people some money and expect they will view you in high regard. My take is we are spinning our wheels, wasting tax dollars and more importantly American lives, and maybe even raising the threat level to the U.S. by continuing to **** off that region.

That said, when I go I will work my hardest to bring everyone back that we left with in one piece, and do as much "good" as I can. Men on the ground do not get to make the calls for the politicians, that's the result of a civilian run military, for better or worse.

On second thought, maybe we should just send Charlie Sheen over there, he seems to be good at winning.

Mike

Thread Information