Son giving it some thought
Create Post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Marine Friend Free Member JayRipTide's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings

Son giving it some thought

Hello all. My son is at the age where he thinks he might want to be a Marine but isn't quite sure how to go about it. Should he go to meps or see a rrecruiter or both. Wants the communications field, kind of has his mind set on that. Did a search here, came up with no information I could fine about it
    I'm trying to push him toward the USMC instead of the other services, any suggestions would be great, I would like to see him in the Corps and he seems to be leaning that way but has been talking about other branches too. Thanks for your time

He needs to talk with a recruiter, face-to-face, first before he can do anything at MEPS.

Marine Friend Free Member USNAviator's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by JayRipTide View Post
    Hello all. My son is at the age where he thinks he might want to be a Marine but isn't quite sure how to go about it. Should he go to meps or see a rrecruiter or both. Wants the communications field, kind of has his mind set on that. Did a search here, came up with no information I could fine about it
    I'm trying to push him toward the USMC instead of the other services, any suggestions would be great, I would like to see him in the Corps and he seems to be leaning that way but has been talking about other branches too. Thanks for your time
    How old is your son and how much education does he have? Any medical issues?

Credits
    Savings
    We will talk to a recruiter, thank you. He is 17 right now, coming up on 18th birthday soon. I just want him to make something of himself, when I was his age I thought it was cool to wander the beaches and surf and that leads nowhere, although I have a good job now I miss not having had the military experience and he sees that and wants it for himself I guess. Sorry for rambling.
    He finished high school and no, has no medical issues at all that we know of. I imagine they would give him a complete physical? And testing to see if he can even get in, and is that the same test for all branches?

Credits
    Savings
    We will talk to a recruiter, thank you. He is 17 right now, coming up on 18th birthday soon. I just want him to make something of himself, when I was his age I thought it was cool to wander the beaches and surf and that leads nowhere, although I have a good job now I miss not having had the military experience and he sees that and wants it for himself I guess. Sorry for rambling.
    He finished high school and no, has no medical issues at all that we know of. I imagine they would give him a complete physical? And testing to see if he can even get in, and is that the same test for all branches?
    With all due respect sir, it's probably best to let him talk to a recruiter alone. I'm sure if you have any questions, you'll have ample opportunity to have them answered. And since he'll be 18 soon, he'll be able to join on his own

Credits
    Savings
    What's bugging me most of all is that I heard the lowest scores on the tests are the ones the Marines have, a few of his friends been pushing for he Air Force, no rifles you know how it is, maybe better for a kid his age, he's kind of wishy washy about the whole thing doesn't care which branch it is, I was thinking Navy or Air Force but need some help helping him figure it out

Credits
    Savings
    What's bugging me most of all is that I heard the lowest scores on the tests are the ones the Marines have, a few of his friends been pushing for he Air Force, no rifles you know how it is, maybe better for a kid his age, he's kind of wishy washy about the whole thing doesn't care which branch it is, I was thinking Navy or Air Force but need some help helping him figure it out
    Where did you hear the lowest test scores were from Marines? That's pretty darn insulting, IMO

As far as the Navy, I'm not so sure he'd be a good fit if his attitude is as you say wishy washy.

Credits
    Savings
    Didnt mean to be insulting ,just looking around hearing Air Force requires higher test scores, which is why I was asking earlier, is it the very same test for all branches? Or do the Marines have their own test separately?
    I asked him why he has to go and earn an Eagle Anchor Globe and he said he wasn't sure, just a feeling. Well, to me that means he would be just as well off going into some other branch, even the Army, the marines being special and he sees if that way but is unsure of himself

Most of us here will tell you that the Marine Corps was a calling to us, this doesn't seem to be the case with your son. The reference you made to earning the title simply means that not everyone makes it through our boot camp, it must be earned. The other branches are very easy, he should go there.

As for test scores, I believe that any Marine that I've ever known would have been easily accepted into the air force, would they have been happy, no. However, this is not reciprocal.

Mongoose
    Guest Free Member
    I joined to fight for my Country, during the V.N. war. You dont have to be very smart to pull a trigger. How ever, every Marine is a basic rifleman. And may be exposed to combat. If hes just joining because he wants to wear a uniform. The Marine Corps is not the right branch for your son.

It sounds as though you would make a man out of him by having him go into the Marine Corps. Wishy washy does not meet Marine Corps standards. With that attitude he would not make it through Parris Island, he would be sent home and be worse off. The army and air farce will except wishy washy. Do your son a favor and check with their recruiters.

When the firing starts wishy washy people scramble for cover, Marines head for the guns.

We don't accept wishy-washy within our ranks sir.

Please, don't waste the Marine recruiter's time. There are plenty of young people out there today who want to earn the title.

Good luck to your son but he is not meant to be one of the few.

Credits
    Savings

I asked him why he has to go and earn an Eagle Anchor Globe
    and he said he wasn't sure, just a feeling.

Well, to me that means he would be just as well off going into some other branch,

even the Army,
    the marines being special and he sees if that way but is unsure of himself
    Give your son a pat on the back
    tell him that you'll support his decision
    You've raised him this far.
    Time to see how well you did.

Phantom Blooper
    Guest Free Member
    Fear is temporary.....

Regret is forever.....

CHOOSE!

he's kind of wishy washy about the whole thing doesn't care which branch it is
    Sounds like you should put aside your hopes and dreams and let him make his own mind up. If he's wishy washy about the thing and dont care what branch it is, then to me sounds like he should have a talk with the Army recruiter. I hear the Army likes wishy washy. Not the Marine Corps though. You'll hear very few Marines say anything other than The Marine Corps is where I wanted to be, where I was SUPPOSED to be. We didn't just spin a wheel and it landed on the Corps. If he's wishy washy then I'd say about two weeks into training he would wish he was at Lackland, or relaxin' at Jackson. Just my opinion.

Thread Information