Motor Transportation License
Create Post

Motor Transportation License

Good Morning Marines,
    I am about to ship for Recruit Training in 21 days. I've been researching the MOS that I chose which is the 35xx field. If my MOS is Motor Vehicle Operator, does a 7-ton license qualify as a CDL? And how long is Operator school?

Quote Originally Posted by surfer2513 View Post
    Good Morning Marines,
    I am about to ship for Recruit Training in 21 days. I've been researching the MOS that I chose which is the 35xx field. If my MOS is Motor Vehicle Operator, does a 7-ton license qualify as a CDL? And how long is Operator school?
    No. 6 weeks.

Surfer 2513--
    CDL for recuiting Programs means Civilian Drivers License. If you presently have a Certified Drivers License GTG! But recruiting is only concerned with your State Civilian Drivers License as being current and up to date.

Thanks SSgt. for the reply.

Master Sergeant, I thought that CDL meant Commercial Driver's License. but I see what you are saying. Do they actually give you a license to operate a certain vehicle or is it in your records?

Once you get through your MOS school you will have a Military Drivers License with all of the vehicles you have been trained on. All of those should be reflected in your record as you become certified on them.

Ok cool. Good to know Master Sergeant! Thanks again.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    You may eventually be trained to drive trucks, which in the civilian world, would require a CDL. But it doesn't transfer directly over. You would still have to take all of the CDL exams and driving tests in the state you intended to get a CDL.

However, since you might be driving those big rigs on US civilian roads, much of your military licensing training for those larger trucks will cover civilian CDL rules.

My initial 3531 license had "Up to and including 5-ton multi-fuel." That meant I was qualified on any wheeled vehicle that size or smaller (i.e., 5-ton 6x6, 2-1/2 ton 6x6, jeeps, tactical ambulances, troop carriers, pickup trucks, staff cars, etc). Eventually, between the Marine Corps and the Air National Guard, I was licensed for all of that, plus Gamma Goats, 22 and 44-pax buses, CUCVs, Hummers, several different kinds of wheeled armored vehicles, M-113 tracked armored personnel carrier, and non-tactical ambulances.

But I was never licensed for driving semi rigs. No heartbreak there for me.

I tried to get licensed for the M-1 tank, but that fell through. It was only for bragging rights anyway.

Sweet, I'm hoping to get 3531. I don't mind 3521 but from what I'm hearing in either of the jobs you get to do a bit of both. I'm sure driving the big rigs would give me advantage if I ever tried getting a CDL. Oh well. That would have been pretty kick*** to get licensed for an M-1 tank. Any idea as to how often or the possibility of Motor Transport Marines getting attached to a tank battalion or unit?

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by surfer2513 View Post
    Sweet, I'm hoping to get 3531. I don't mind 3521 but from what I'm hearing in either of the jobs you get to do a bit of both. I'm sure driving the big rigs would give me advantage if I ever tried getting a CDL. Oh well. That would have been pretty kick*** to get licensed for an M-1 tank. Any idea as to how often or the possibility of Motor Transport Marines getting attached to a tank battalion or unit?

Motor T Marines are assigned to tank battalions to drive the tank transporters (there are big rigs for you) and other logistical vehicles. The likelihood of getting licensed to drive a tank is another matter as the tanks do not belong to Motor T. IF you were assigned to a tank bn, after a little time in, you might get a chance to tool around in one a bit on flat ground, but that's it.

As a 3521, you will also be licensed to drive the vehicles you maintain and specifically on tactical wreckers.

Ok i watched a video on Motor Transportation on the Marine Corps website and the guy said he was attached to a tank unit, so I was just wondering about it and so i asked.

I appreciate the knowledge and help Sergeant.

check into 3522 being a mechanic pays better if you get out and not make a carreer out of the MC i'm a old 3522 and have my own shop. there will always be trucks to haul every thing that this nation needs/uses its better to work in the shop than run the road but thats my opinion.

If I remember right I was licensed to 115 ton tracked, 50 ton for the old M-55 8 inch howitzer sp and 65 ton for the retriever. One other Marine on this site was also the same.

I haven't been out of school long but already I'm behind on the licenses I have versus the ones new Marines are coming out of school with. Then again I got to my unit after school and started pre-deployment training, so now I got one foot in... well, over there.

Thread Information