Tattoo removal scar and MEPS - Page 2
Create Post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Marine View Post
    Once the tat is removed if it does leave a scar so what. People get scars from numerous things during their life. A scar, is a scar, is a scar. In my mind I do not see anything wrong with it. But when I was active duty Marines had tats on their bodies, however I never saw any on the neck, face, ears. Tats can and do get out of control, and that is why there are tat regulations these days.

Thanks, that was more the input I was looking for. I know how silly it sounds but I also don't know how strict the policy is.

From what I read on this forum, it appears that the policy is pretty wishey-washey. Other than that a tat that can be seen when you are in PT gear is a no-no. I believe that even the recruiters are having a hard time understanding the tat policy. However the recruiter is the person who will tell you if you need a waiver. Its his job. I am sure that these tat regulations are because some people have abused their bodies and belong in the carnival freak show. Nothing against tats. I have one that I got as a young Marine in 1953. The only time it can be seen is when i am shirtless because it is on my shoulder.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Marine View Post
    From what I read on this forum, it appears that the policy is pretty wishey-washey. Other than that a tat that can be seen when you are in PT gear is a no-no. I believe that even the recruiters are having a hard time understanding the tat policy. However the recruiter is the person who will tell you if you need a waiver. Its his job. I am sure that these tat regulations are because some people have abused their bodies and belong in the carnival freak show. Nothing against tats. I have one that I got as a young Marine in 1953. The only time it can be seen is when i am shirtless because it is on my shoulder.
    That makes a lot of sense. I guess I will just wait and see, nothing seems to certain one way or the other. I am going to go through laser treatment and hopefully it won't leave much behind.

I'm currently a recruiter, and here's what I've been told...
    1. The scar will still require a tattoo waiver, and it's an exception to policy which has to go to the Commanding General for MCRC (Marine Corps Recruiting Command)
    2. The waiver will be strongly considered based on the discoloration shown in the picture.
    3. Everything else submitted with the waiver will factor in (IST score, ASVAB, etc)
    4. There is a strong chance that due to current retention and the pending drawdown that the waiver will be denied...

You will never know until you try however. We've gotten lucky out here on a few waivers, so as long as you don't have any significant criminal history/drug use or anything crazy, you probably have a pretty good shot.

Quote Originally Posted by 26XXer View Post
    I'm currently a recruiter, and here's what I've been told...
    1. The scar will still require a tattoo waiver, and it's an exception to policy which has to go to the Commanding General for MCRC (Marine Corps Recruiting Command)
    2. The waiver will be strongly considered based on the discoloration shown in the picture.
    3. Everything else submitted with the waiver will factor in (IST score, ASVAB, etc)
    4. There is a strong chance that due to current retention and the pending drawdown that the waiver will be denied...

You will never know until you try however. We've gotten lucky out here on a few waivers, so as long as you don't have any significant criminal history/drug use or anything crazy, you probably have a pretty good shot.

Thanks for all the information...

referring to this... "4. There is a strong chance that due to current retention and the pending drawdown that the waiver will be denied..."
    Does having intentions of the reserve affect this?

I don't see why it would be any different with you trying to go Reserve. Like I said, they look at the whole person concept, and you have a chance, but it will be a long process so don't get discouraged... you're looking at a 2-3 month wait just to get an answer back once the tattoo waiver is submitted. The reason the waiver has to go so high is because it's a head/neck tattoo which is an extreme no no. I have an applicant I'm working with who has a pencil eraser sized tattoo on the inside of their lip and it's the same stuff...

Thread Information