Tattoo removal scar and MEPS
Create Post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Tattoo removal scar and MEPS

I am wanting to start the process of joining the Marine Corps, but I have a tattoo (about two inches in length) behind my ear. I know that this is an automatic disqualification and that no waiver could ever get approved for it. So that leaves me with the only option of one, not joining or two, getting laser treatment. I will be damned if that is the thing stopping me from getting in, so I start laser treatments next week. Supposedly although it is a longer and tedious process, it leaves minimal to no scarring. BUT if I am able to get this removed through laser treatments and there is small discoloration or slight scarring, will this disqualify me if the scar is from the removal of a tattoo? And if there is discoloration could I get a waiver for that? I feel like the more recruiters I ask, the more varied of answers I get.

Credits
    Savings
    See a Recruiter.

(Ain'tcha just so proud of yourself now for getting a 2" long tattoo behind your ear??)

So so proud. :/ but I look at it as there is nothing I can do about it now but try to remove it.
    Will my answer from a recruiter really differ if I go in and see one? I am over seas right but coming back to the states next week.

Credits
    Savings
    See a Recruiter.

As I said in my last post, I am coming to the states next week, can't see one until then. The point of this post, was to get some sort of input or knowledge of this mean while.. or if anyone knew of someone who went through something similar. No disrespect.

I have a customer who is a former ear/nose/throat surgeon and now specializes in tat removal. She mentioned that many removals are more subtle and less conspicuous than a burn from a spent cartridge that ejected out and lit on a Marines neck, aka muffler burns... hickey etc...

"burn from a spent cartridge that ejected out and lit on a Marines neck"

What do you mean by this?

Credits
    Savings
    Sent you a PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave2571 View Post
    You might look around here in the Ask A Marine section, there are a lot of questions about tattoos.
    I know it's been discussed before, but maybe not your exact situation, but you can take a look and see.
    Thanks, I will keep looking.

IfI see anything I'll let you know
    Thanks again. I am not able to see a recruiter until next week and this is driving me crazy. I'm worried it may stop me from getting in and i'm looking for anything that may ease my mind until than lol

What about calling two or three different recruiters' offices while you are waiting, first thing Monday? Just get some feedback right away.
    I have and that kind of made it more frustrating...each one kind of said something different. One said if I get it removed I will be fine but to takes pictures before and after ect. another said I will have to get a waiver after and even then it's not certain because it is "stupid hard" to get into the Corps right now. I mean I know I can't do much cause i'm overseas right now so that's what's making me so anxious about it all, trying to get some input is better than sitting around waiting making myself crazy.

Well, let us know what happens. It would seem logical that a small scar from a tattoo removal would be a lot better than having a tattoo, which you said you could not get a waiver for.
    There are folks here who are much more knowledgeable than I am, and it wouldn't take a whole lot of knowledge to be that way----in the area of enlistment standards.
    There is a recruiter on here, let me give you his name via PM.
    It would seem logical, yes..laser treatment when finished is suppose to leave no scarring, although i'm just thinking if it does in anyway since it's from a tattoo if that could disqualify me...but i could be thinking to deep into it.
    I'll definitely keep an update..
    Thanks though

NO scarring, I didn't notice that the first time.....I hope that no scarring makes a difference and that they would not care if you used to have a tattoo or not.
    Interesting, and no way to guess the outcome, unfortunately.
    But the wait is suspenseful, I can imagine.
    PM that recruiter and see what he says.
    I just did, thank you very much for that.
    I hope it makes a difference too! lol I mean one of the recruiter recommended getting it removed, so i'm hoping since he advised it that it will be okay after.
    Only time will tell I guess. My hope is that if there is no trace of it once it's gone, that I won't need a waiver at all and that way i'm not waiting years and days to get that approved.
    But i'll keep an update!

Once the tat is removed if it does leave a scar so what. People get scars from numerous things during their life. A scar, is a scar, is a scar. In my mind I do not see anything wrong with it. But when I was active duty Marines had tats on their bodies, however I never saw any on the neck, face, ears. Tats can and do get out of control, and that is why there are tat regulations these days.

Marine Friend Free Member USNAviator's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Marine View Post
    Once the tat is removed if it does leave a scar so what. People get scars from numerous things during their life. A scar, is a scar, is a scar. In my mind I do not see anything wrong with it. But when I was active duty Marines had tats on their bodies, however I never saw any on the neck, face, ears. Tats can and do get out of control, and that is why there are tat regulations these days.

Exactly Gunny, it's a friggin scar.

But be advised as to why the policy exists

"“A Marine with tattoos doesn’t mean you’re a bad Marine,” said Sgt. Maj. William Wiseman, Headquarters and Headquarters Squadron sergeant major. “However, since tattoos are a visual reminder of your personal thoughts, feelings and ideas, a Marine with visible tattoos may not be the best candidate for a high-profile assignment. Since the Marine Corps has the most recognizable uniform in the world, this makes the Corps a high-profile assignment. … You joined the Corps; the Corps didn’t join you.”

Tats in the civilian world are an expression of individualism. You join the Corps you become one with the whole.

Thread Information