Recon Contract, then what?
Create Post
    Poolee/DEP Free Member
    Credits
    Savings

Recon Contract, then what?

I am talking to my recruiter right now, and we both agree that Infantry is the right place for me. He has also told me about the Recon Contract. I understand I will be going to BRC after SOI, I was only curious how I should prepare to make sure I do not give up this extraordinary oppurtunity, as this is my dream. I am not a gamer, college isn't for me, I want to be challenged until I am about to quit, and then keep pushing.
    I've done my time researching and am interested in MARSOC, I am not going to try and get ahead of myself, but just so you know, this is what I want to do.
    Very Respectfully, Thank You.

I wasn't aware that there were guaranteed recon contracts anymore. Most infantry contracts just say "if you wish to try out for recon let your instructors at ITB know"

And then they just laugh at you, tell your recon isn't looking for any bodies that cycle and that you're now an 0351. Ask to see this "recon contract" before processing dude.

Marine Friend Free Member USNAviator's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    For the future keep in mind that MARSOC now has it's own MOS

Amos OKs new MOS for MARSOC

A new primary military occupational specialty has been approved and authorized for enlisted Marines trained as special operators, ending the five-year rotation limit within Marine Corps Forces Special Operations Command and clearing the way for promotion in a professional career path.Monday’s announcement, made by MARSOC officials at Camp Lejeune, N.C., comes within days of the command’s five-year anniversary — and just in time for hundreds of MARSOC operators whose rotations were slated to last only that long.

Commandant Gen. Jim Amos approved the new MOS after a recent visit to Lejeune, MARSOC officials said.

For MARSOC, the approval of this PMOS for operators means a new opportunity to retain their experience and the organization’s accumulated investment in building a force of professionals who can perform at advanced levels. The operators can now compete for promotion over the course of a career with MARSOC, instead of returning to the fleet after five years to compete in a primary MOS.

Poolee/DEP Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Wow, that is big news! I am suprised I was not aware of that. Thank you very much USNAviatior. Is there a website that I can research on this new enlisted MOS?
    Also, when you say 'operator', I picture a radio operator, what did you mean by the term?
    Once again, Thank You.

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by Giorgi View Post
    Wow, that is big news! I am suprised I was not aware of that. Thank you very much USNAviatior. Is there a website that I can research on this new enlisted MOS?
    Also, when you say 'operator', I picture a radio operator, what did you mean by the term?
    Once again, Thank You.
    It wasn't my term but was in the content of the release. Interchange the word operative with operators and I think you'll grasp the meaning

Do a search for MARSOC, I'm sure you'll get more information

Poolee/DEP Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    I have been, and I keep finding the same couple of paragraphs. Does this new MOS mean that I can enlist with the MARSOC MOS, or do you have to earn it by going through Recon first?
    Thanks.

I have been, and I keep finding the same couple of paragraphs. Does this new MOS mean that I can enlist with the MARSOC MOS, or do you have to earn it by going through Recon first?
    Thanks.
    Your first worry should be getting through our boot camp and nothing else, Semper Fidelis.

Credits
    Savings
    Thanks.

LOL Giorgi I'm a retired Navy Commander and have limited knowledge about such matters. But it's my inderstanding that MARSOC would be a logical progression from your Recon training. Now I"m sure there are others on here with a more enlightened viewpoint and hopefully they will pipe up, especially Marines who are still in service. Then of course tomorrow you can always contact a recruiter but one thing I know for certain, you're not going anywhere near Recon or MARSOC until you earn the EGA

Good luck to you

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by SGT7477 View Post
    Your first worry should be getting through our boot camp and nothing else, Semper Fidelis.

You beat me to it Sgt........

Quote Originally Posted by USNAviator View Post
    You beat me to it Sgt........
    Sir, that's what Sgt's are for,lol, Semper Fidelis.

Poolee/DEP Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Both of you are completely right. I try not to overlook boot camp, I am just trying to look somewhat further down the lines. When my recruiter told me about the Recon Contract, that is when I started looking down the line about Recons, and MARSOC.
    Thank You for straightening me back out again.

Both of you are completely right. I try not to overlook boot camp, I am just trying to look somewhat further down the lines. When my recruiter told me about the Recon Contract, that is when I started looking down the line about Recons, and MARSOC.
    Thank You for straightening me back out again.
    We will begin by You giving us 50, Semper Fidelis.

One step at a time.

MARSOC operators used to be basically just Recon Marines, but there are support elements such as sig intel, comms, etc, etc.

Yes, they're getting a new PMOS, do not count on being able to enlist into it though. It will earned or you'll have to lat move into it, just like how 0321 is.

The new MARSOC MOS is not finalized yet and it definitely isn't a current enlistment option. The recon contracts do exist (HZ contract) and the only thing they guarantee is a slot in BRC IF, and I say IF, you meet the physical standards on the SOU (1st class PFT, etc, etc). I'm currently an intel Marine assigned to recruiting duty, and I have a poolee on a HZ contract...

Thread Information