Very simple questions
Create Post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings

Very simple questions

Hello, Marines. I am currently a college student who is strongly considering going into the Marine Corps after graduation (which looks like it will be Christmas of 2013). I was going to go out of high school back in 2008, but a football scholarship lured me away from joining the Marine Corps and I did not go. Now, after having it weigh on my mind since that day, and since football is done for me (long story short, my 1 year of college football ruined playing the game for me because of terrible coaching and a lack of caring by that coaching staff for the players or the game), I have decided that I want to enlist after I graduate.

Being a Marine has been a dream of mine since I was 11. My father is former Army (mechanic and cook) and this lead me to joining JROTC in high school (Army). The Marine Corps has always been appealing because I like a challenge and want to be part of the best. Also, the recruiters that visited were very helpful and informative, more so than any of the other branches recruiters that came to my high school. I currently have a friend in MOS training at Camp Pendleton who has been helpful as of late in answering questions on conditioning for boot camp.

Right now, I am in a little bit of a rut. I am really sick of school, but realize that a degree is a good asset to have, especially for my life after I retire or get forced out (yes, I plan on being a career Marine). If I stick around until I graduate, I will be 24 years old. I realize that I will still be able to join, but I really want to get my life going. Would it benefit me more to stay and finish my degree or to go ahead and enlist? I am majoring in Physical Education and plan on coaching high school football in my life after the Corps.

Also, what is the best way to approach a recruiter at this time about general information on an MOS? Is there any place I can find a full listing (I've searched the internet with no luck)?

Would it be in my best interest to be talking to a recruiter now, just about all things involving the Marine Corps or should I wait until closer to my graduation date/drop-out date from school?

Thank you all in advance for any responses I receive.

The Drill Instructor's are awaiting your arrival. Sorry to inform you they do not have a football MOS.

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Marine View Post
    The Drill Instructor's are awaiting your arrival. Sorry to inform you they do not have a football MOS.

Funny you should say that. My recruiter in high school said the same thing. He did say however that a former Marine turned football coach would be somebody he'd let his son play for any day.

You are going to find out there are no former Marines. If you ever become a Marine, you will alway's be a Marine. That is just one of the reasons why we are the elite of the military.

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave2571 View Post
    You might want to do a search just in this Ask A Marine section, as this question comes up a lot, and there is a lot of advice on here under numerous threads, if you want to take a look at them.
    Thanks. I am considering between OCS and enlisted. It is a tough decision. My mom sales cleaning chemicals with Hill Manufacturing to Camp Lejeune. She said she could possibly take me up there at some point this summer to let me speak with some Marines there. That should be helpful.

Credits
    Savings
    Not to beat a dead horse---and you won't find many who are as long-winded as I am, and I apologize for that---but the fact is, a lot of people will tell you, go the officer route, just because you are able to. On the other hand, a lot of college graduates enlist.
    I can tell you that they are two different worlds, each with their very own Pros and Cons.
    But if you have the degree, many will tell you, why not try to go the OCS route.

My only reservation is the leadership role. Not that I have a problem, as I have been in leadership roles before. However, I did the job first. Becoming an officer is DEFINITELY something I would consider after a little time in. I just don't think I could be effective in the position until I have a little time under my belt. However, on the other side of the spectrum, I am confident in my abilities to lead and do a good job of it. I just think the ability to be an effective officer will be better once I have time in. Still, talking to an OSO and recruiter are priorities number 1 and 2.

Obviously, no conversation with any OSO or recruiter is going to make or break my decision. But I think getting the most information possible will lead me to a happier end when it is all said and done.

Phantom Blooper
    Guest Free Member
    Do a search for 03Mike a Mustang Captain posting in the Ask A Marine forum.

He breaks down his posts about the enlisted and officer routes and the benifits and pros and cons.

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by Phantom Blooper View Post
    Do a search for 03Mike a Mustang Captain posting in the Ask A Marine forum.

He breaks down his posts about the enlisted and officer routes and the benifits and pros and cons.

Will do. Thank you.

Searched the internet for a Marine MOS list? For a college student you didn't look very hard,a simple site specific search on this forum will bring up a stickied thread with 3 links.

Marine Friend Free Member USNAviator's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    Sorry, did not see post number 11, recommending 03Mike.
    Mike is a great source of info. As are other officers on board who I hope will step up

Dave is no slouch in his own right. Great source of info for going from enlisted to officer

Credits
    Savings
    Except mine was 12 years after I got out, and into a different branch of the military, based on my age, and also a direct commission, so no OCS, no equivalent of TBS, nothing but JAG school.....so Mike is your best bet, and he is always in this section helping people out......
    And Dave what was that other branch you so kindly acquiesced to join? Up in the air junior bird man.........lol

Credits
    Savings
    Dan, maybe I should have gone into Navy JAG, but that's a whole other thread. LOL.
    Hey what happened to calling me by my first name, Commander? LOL No Dave, you would not have made a good Navy JAG, they actually have to get up from their desks from time to time and go to hearings. You AF boys just spent time on the flight line asking zoomies for a ride in the hottest planes so you could put in for flight pay.......

Credits
    Savings
    Dan, that was purely arbitrary. I had just finished law school, was walking down the hallway, saw a bunch of flyers on the bulletin boards, JAG, Navy, Army, Air Force. Looked into it, saw that there was no better experience to be had anywhere, right out of law school, applied for the Air Force JAG program and was accepted, but it could have been Navy. Just arbitrary at that point.
    But not to digress too much from Zach's thread, sorry, Zach.
    I think Dan would advise you, as would I, to go the officer route if you can.
    Dave

I just did that. Zach good luck to you but ultimately it's your decision. Do as much research as you can. Leadership IMO , isn't something you can learn, it comes from within. You either have it or you don't.

Dave, as somone who has worked with attorneys for over 11 years..... I find a "Legal Brief" to be a lie. There aint nothing brief about it.

Just thought I would rib you a little bit. I was a Property and Casualty Adjuster. I know a few lawyer jokes, but I know you know more lawyer jokes than I could even imagine.

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by TunTvrnWarrior View Post
    Dave, as somone who has worked with attorneys for over 11 years..... I find a "Legal Brief" to be a lie. There aint nothing brief about it.

Just thought I would rib you a little bit. I was a Property and Casualty Adjuster. I know a few lawyer jokes, but I know you know more lawyer jokes than I could even imagine.
    Mike isn't lawyer and joke a synonym?

I'd say it was an oxymoron but then I'd be insulting all the morons who aren't lawyers

Thread Information