The 4 weapons saftey rules
Create Post
    Credits
    Savings

The 4 weapons saftey rules

A few weeks ago our RSS had a DI night. He embarrassed the hell out of us because nobody knew the 4 weapons safety rules. So after some researching and asking around, here they are for you Poolees to learn as well.

1. Treat every weapon as if it were loaded.
    2. Never point a weapon at anything you do not intend to shoot.
    3. Keep finger straight and off the trigger until you are ready to fire.
    4. Keep weapon on safe until you intend to fire.

PooleeGewarges
    Guest Free Member
    Quote Originally Posted by shadox View Post
    A few weeks ago our RSS had a DI night. He embarrassed the hell out of us because nobody knew the 4 weapons safety rules. So after some researching and asking around, here they are for you Poolees to learn as well.

1. Treat every weapon as if it were loaded.
    2. Never point a weapon at anything you do not intend to shoot.
    3. Keep finger straight and off the trigger until you are ready to fire.
    4. Keep weapon on safe until you intend to fire.
    This poolee might as well learn it now.

I don't see what the fascination is with learning everything and anything before boot camp. Your RSS is probably different than ours, which is why you probably had a DI asking those questions...but I always cringe a little when I see a poolee reading the UCMJ and the M16 specs or something that's going to be taught in boot camp. I stick with General Orders, rank structure, and everything else in the packet they gave us.

PooleeGewarges
    Guest Free Member
    Quote Originally Posted by achilles097 View Post
    I don't see what the fascination is with learning everything and anything before boot camp. Your RSS is probably different than ours, which is why you probably had a DI asking those questions...but I always cringe a little when I see a poolee reading the UCMJ and the M16 specs or something that's going to be taught in boot camp. I stick with General Orders, rank structure, and everything else in the packet they gave us.
    Me too, but sometimes I want to learn other things. It is understandable to leave everything until boot camp though.

Poolee/DEP Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    With all the stuff we'll be learning in boot camp, theres no point in NOT picking up stuff now, it'll only make it easier once you're there.

But the whole reading over M16 specs seems a little insane, tbh.

PooleeGewarges
    Guest Free Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Buhler View Post
    With all the stuff we'll be learning in boot camp, theres no point in NOT picking up stuff now, it'll only make it easier once you're there.

But the whole reading over M16 specs seems a little insane, tbh.
    I personally do not go over that information. I learned what my recruiters told me to learn, and for the extra information I learned the rifle creed, Code of Conduct for the military, etc.

If you learn a lot of this stuff prior, your time at Boot Camp should go smoother and im sure you will look better to your DI's if you have some prior knowledge.

You're training your bodies for Boot Camp useless if you dont have a trained mind as well.

Poolee/DEP Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    If you don't know basic weapon safety already, you're going to have a fun time..

That is just common sense, along with knowing your backstop, never firing into a body of water, how to clear stoppage, etc.

Thanks but I'm sticking to the key info in the packet I was given when I DEPd in.

yeah dont worry about anything such as the m16a4 specs or the ucmj. just as achilles097 said- stick with the booklet you get when you swear in. i took it further because i was bored and memorized the rifleman's creed, the entire Marine's Hymn, POPPER, BAMCIS, SALUTE, and SMEAC. if your going to hit knowledge hard, stick to the smaller things, they will add up, and you can concentrate on the harder stuff in recruit training.

as an add on: dont worry about the knowledge that much. the most important thing is to go to PT as much as you can. If your recruiter doesn't have that great of a pt(as some don't) then try some p90x or insanity. if you don't start as early as you can recruit training PT is going to be your worst nightmare

I honestly thing the best thing is to balance your time between both. The recruiters at my RSS keep reminding all of us that Basic is 10% physical and 90% mental. Taking any step to make either easier is better than just sitting around doing nothing. The most you can work on PT without overly killing your body is what, 2 maybe 3 hours a day. Figure another 8 working puts you at 11 hours. That still gives you 5 extra hours of down time during the day (assuming 8 hours of sleep). I think you can spend an hour or so going over some knowledge so it will make things easier, even if it is more then what your recruiter gave you in the packet.

4? I guess the 11 I learned as a child should pretty much cover it

Wink Knowledge

Quote Originally Posted by DrinkTwiceT1000 View Post
    I honestly thing the best thing is to balance your time between both. The recruiters at my RSS keep reminding all of us that Basic is 10% physical and 90% mental. Taking any step to make either easier is better than just sitting around doing nothing. The most you can work on PT without overly killing your body is what, 2 maybe 3 hours a day. Figure another 8 working puts you at 11 hours. That still gives you 5 extra hours of down time during the day (assuming 8 hours of sleep). I think you can spend an hour or so going over some knowledge so it will make things easier, even if it is more then what your recruiter gave you in the packet.
    you can even go to youtube and look up how to field strip, properly clean, reassemble, and even to mechanically zero your m16a4. you can find out how to make the 45* corners and know how to do it before you go

Thread Information