I need a license to sign certain contracts?
Create Post

I need a license to sign certain contracts?

Hello Marines, I am currently trying to sign a contract but have run into a snag: I dont have a Drivers license. Now my recruiter told me that he could get me a comms contract to sign, well I was happy with that but he sent me a message asking for my license information. I told him I didn't have it. He then told me that I cant sign a comms contract without a valid drivers license. Now I have been in the DEP going on 5 months now and not once has anyone told me I need a license to sign certain contracts. I asked him which other contracts require a license and he said he wasnt sure but he said that most do. Can anyone tell me which contracts require a valid license and which dont? Thank you for your time.

Edit* Also, I cant get my license until I'm 18 because If I get a permit I need to have that for 6 months before getting a license. I ship in August so thats a no go. My only other choice is to wait until I'm 18 (2 months) but by then I dont know what contracts I'm going to be able to sign. Help please?

I didnt get my driver's license until I got back from Heavy Equip Operator MOS School after boot camp.

I would contact your DMV again and reread the rules. I'm sure it's Driver's Permit: "Must carry a permit for 6 months, OR until age 18, before obtaining a Class "C" (or whatever) license". And I'm sure they would give some sort of exception for a military contract IF that is infact required.

You're probably right sir but therein lies the problem, I will need to wait until I'm 18 to get my license. But I'll check again just to make sure. Thank you all for your time and the replies.

I have been to MOS school with people who didn't have a drivers liscence. My MOS consists of driving tucks. So I don't see why you would need one to join a comm field.

Programs that require a Valid Civilian Drivers License are: AE Aviation Support, CA Motor Transport, DB Communications/Elec, UT Military Police.

Phantom Blooper
    Guest Free Member
    So I don't see why you would need one to join a comm field.
    You used to need a license to drive a com jeep.

Marine Friend Free Member USNAviator's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    "The communications occupational field includes the design, installation, interconnection, and operation of communication networks and information systems used to transmit information and data. Marines in this field operate and perform preventive maintenance on both hardware and software systems; including telephone, teletype, switching, radio, cryptographic, and computer systems, which are essential links in the overall functions of communication. They must have basic to advanced manual and language skills and must be able to master precise communication and computer procedures, as well. as interact on a daily basis with users to solve communication systems challenges. Attention to detail and the ability to work closely with others are essential requirements. Eligibility for a security clearance is a requirement for some communication systems specialties."

It's possible and I'm only speculating that as a government issue valid form of ID, a drivers license may be used to vet certain MOS in the communication field. I would be a little more persistent re. your recruiter if I were you.

Marine Friend Free Member USNAviator's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    Take a look at this link. I did a cursory search and the few jobs I checked out, field wire man etc, all need a security clearance.

http://usmilitary.about.com/od/enlistedjo2/a/06.htm

Thread Information