enlisting
Create Post

Thread: enlisting

Question enlisting

I am currently a junior in high school and I plan to enlist as soon as I turn 17, but first I have a couple of questions.
    1. I know you go to your MOS school after basic, but around how long is that training? and is there training after that or are you just assigned to a permanent duty station?
    2. are you allowed to have someone live with you on base? say a girlfriend, wife, etc.
    3. as a marine, when you are assigned to a base say, for example, Camp Pendleton, do you move to a base after a set amount of time like other military branches?
    4. do you get leave between basic and Your MOS school? and again between MOS school and your assignment?

To answer your questions.
    1. After Recruit Training you go to Marine Combat Training or Infantry Training Battalion, Depending on your MOS you Get, if your a infantryman then you will go to ITB if its something else MCT. ITB is 8 Weeks, MCT is 4 Weeks, then after this you go to you "MOS" school if your not a Infantryman, After MOS school you go to your Permanent Duty Station.

2. Yes and No, if you are Married you will be supplied BAH Basic Allowence for Housing, you may either live out in town or in Base Housing, this is ONLY if you are married, if you just have a girlfriend you MUST live in the barracks.

3. Depends on your job if you move around bases, Usually No, i have been here at Camp Lejeune, North Carolina since i was done with MOS Schools.

4. You get 10 Days of Leave from Recruit Training to MCT/ITB, and possibly some Recruiters Assistance.

For further Knowledge "Marine" is ALWAYS capitalized.

Thank you Hopefully i answered your questions correctly if you have anymore just ask.

-Cpl Moss

Have you talked to a recruiter yet? You need to.

MOS schools have different training cycles depending on their technical level. Some last a few weeks, others take months, and a few like foreign language training may take a year or more to complete.

After you get married, you can apply for base housing but there is always a waiting list. I waited for close to a year to move into base housing aboard Camp Pendleton. Your girlfriend will not be able to live on base. Once you become a NCO, you can request to live off base and share an apartment with her.

During my career, I averaged a move to a different duty station every three years. Everyone's experience is different however depending on their MOS, school assignments, and special duty assignments.

You don't get to enlist when you turn 17, you get to enlist after your Junior year is over and since you're 17 at that time still you need consent, you must graduate high school before you ship, so if you don't want to enjoy the summer after your senior year(stupid) feel free to enlist right after your junior year is over. If not just do it as a senior.

Thread Information