Battle of Okinawa
Create Post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Battle of Okinawa

Today, thousands of marines and their families are stationed in Okinawa, Japan yet many have no idea of the sacrifices made by marines to secure that island in what would be one of the last major battles of World War II.

To post a history of the battle would be rather meaningless, you can find a pretty detailed summary by looking it up on wikipedia. But, having lived in Okinawa I would encourage you to explore these battle grounds that you may not even be aware of.

Some of them:

Kakazu Ridge Park- This ridge looks like any other in Okinawa, but go there with a headlamp, some back up flash lights, and even possibly a machete. The ridge is spotted all over with coral caves carved out by entrenched Japanese troops that really throw you into history. Edward J. Moskala (US-Army) was awarded the Medal of Honor for his actions here.

Sugarloaf Hill- Situated in Naha, this hill was the site of a violent tug-o-war between U.S. Marines and the Japanese defenders. Hundreds of casualties were inflicted here on both sides taking this seemingly unimportant hill.

There are many others, I think it would be neat for people who know of battle sites to post what they know. Okinawa doesn't have to be a boring duty station, and you can have lots of fun while paying homage to the men we lost there.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Have you been to the Cave of the Virgins? You should hear that story.

Talking Here's what I think !

Quote Originally Posted by sparkie View Post
    I was at Naha to check them ladies out !

Quote Originally Posted by sparkie View Post
    I had heard of it but never got the opportunity to go there. Now there is a pretty grisly story. Another place is the caves near Peace Prayer Park where Generals Mitsuru Ushijima and Isamu Chō committed ritual suicide towards the end of the war. That place was pretty eerie.

We hit Okinawa on Easter Sunday April 1, 1945 at Yontan Airfield, without much opposition. We advanced up the northern part of the island. When the interior part of Okinawa was secure, we went south to Naha. We got on landing crafts and came across the water and hit the Japs from behind the Oroku Peninsula. From there we went down to the southern tip of Okinawa, south of Naha. We lived on rations.

Lucas Dont Forget The Yougest Medal Of Honor Winner Was A Navy Corpman Who Was Going On 18 He Was John Bush . For His Heroic Actions In Okinowa

Semper Fi

Stephen Doc Hansen Hm3 Fmf

Marine Friend Free Member USNAviator's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by doc h fmf View Post
    Lucas Dont Forget The Yougest Medal Of Honor Winner Was A Navy Corpman Who Was Going On 18 He Was John Bush . For His Heroic Actions In Okinowa

Semper Fi

Doc I think that might have been Bob Bush

BUSH, ROBERT EUGENE

Organization: U.S. Navy

Company: 2d Battalion
    Division: 5th Marines, 1st Marine Division

Born: 4 October 1926, Tacoma, Wash.
    Departed: Yes

Entered Service At: Washington
    G.O. Number:

Date of Issue:
    Accredited To:

Place / Date: Okinawa Jima, Ryukyu Islands, 2 May 1945

Citation
    For conspicuous gallantry and intrepidity at the risk of his life above and beyond the call of duty while serving as Medical Corpsman with a rifle company, in action against enemy Japanese forces on Okinawa Jima, Ryukyu Islands, 2 May 1945. Fearlessly braving the fury of artillery, mortar, and machinegun fire from strongly entrenched hostile positions, Bush constantly and unhesitatingly moved from 1 casualty to another to attend the wounded falling under the enemy's murderous barrages. As the attack passed over a ridge top, Bush was advancing to administer blood plasma to a marine officer Iying wounded on the skyline when the Japanese launched a savage counterattack. In this perilously exposed position, he resolutely maintained the flow of life-giving plasma. With the bottle held high in 1 hand, Bush drew his pistol with the other and fired into the enemy's ranks until his ammunition was expended. Quickly seizing a discarded carbine, he trained his fire on the Japanese charging pointblank over the hill, accounting for 6 of the enemy despite his own serious wounds and the loss of 1 eye suffered during his desperate battle in defense of the helpless man. With the hostile force finally routed, he calmly disregarded his own critical condition to complete his mission, valiantly refusing medical treatment for himself until his officer patient had been evacuated, and collapsing only after attempting to walk to the battle aid station. His daring initiative, great personal valor, and heroic spirit of self-sacrifice in service of others reflect great credit upon Bush and enhance the finest traditions of the U.S. Naval Service.

My dad was there but in the Army he died when I was 4 so never got to hear anything about it

yes sir thankyou I JUST FOUND OUT HE WAS 18Y/O. THANK YOU SIR APPRECIATED

FAIR WINDS SIR

stephen doc hansen HM3 fmf

Quote Originally Posted by doc h fmf View Post

Semper Fi

Trust me, I have nothing but respect for the Navy, especially in this battle. The Navy faced one of the most if not the most brutal kamikazie attack of the entire war there, and without the Navy's effort to halt the Yamato and remnants of the Japanese fleet, the servicemen on the island may have been destroyed.

A salute to you sir !

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Merrell View Post
    We hit Okinawa on Easter Sunday April 1, 1945 at Yontan Airfield, without much opposition. We advanced up the northern part of the island. When the interior part of Okinawa was secure, we went south to Naha. We got on landing crafts and came across the water and hit the Japs from behind the Oroku Peninsula. From there we went down to the southern tip of Okinawa, south of Naha. We lived on rations.
    Welcome to this thread and to you a salute , as there are very few of you WW2 Vets left !

Thankyou for serving in defense of our great country and those traditions that we enjoy to this day !

Semper Fi

Cpl. Puck of Chu Lai

Great to see one of our "Greatest Generation" onboard.
    It is a beautiful island, I would love to visit it again one day.

Its a priveledge to meet a warrior who was there!! SEMPER FI...!!

I Am Honored And Privilege To Know You Ray. Thank You For Your Sevice There.
    Semper Fi And Godbless You Sir

This Battle is one which will always be in Marine History for many reason but one is it was the first time a Marine General Commanded a Army.
    General Roy Stanley Geiger (January 25, 1885–January 23, 1947) was a United States Marine Corps General who, during World War II, became the first Marine to lead an army. The Tenth United States Army. and a Air Winger to boot

Thread Information