throwing knives?
Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Poolee/DEP Free Member
    Credits
    Savings

throwing knives?

Um hey i'm new here but anyways I am wanting to join the Marines and am going for my interview with a recruiter tomarrow. I was just wanting to know if on active duty if I could carry throwing knives if I am actually skilled with them. I asked my recruiter and he said he wasn't sure so i thought maybe you could help me. Thank you all for your time, answers, and service and I hope to join you all as a proud Marine soon.

I'd like to see your knife throwing video, where's it at..

Poolee/DEP Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    why would I have a video? I simply asked a question after asking a recruiter who didn't know in hopes someone would know. not that hard man.

Negative.

Throwing knives are not an approved uniform accessory in garrison or combat. When you become a noncommissioned officer you will be authorized to carry a sword for drill and ceremonies but don't think you'll be able to throw it very far.

The knife Marines are associated with is the K-bar and you will get instruction with its use during close combat/martial arts training.

Leave your throwing knives at home.

Credits
    Savings
    Your recruiter went to the bar after work and they are still laughing about this issue!!!

I went through 2 tours in Vietnam with a "BenHibbin jungle fighting knife" No body ever said a word about it except when I came back from Vietnam darning a shake down. This damn butter bar tried to keep take it away from me. Gunny Ray read that boot the riot act.

Play a lot of Mumbly Peg do you.

Poolee/DEP Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Well my recruiter asked his superior while we were doing my interview and according to him it would be permitted after i was put on active duty. Thank you all for your time, answers, and service to our great country I seriously do appreciate it Marines.

We got a ninja on our hands here

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by StevenF View Post
    Well my recruiter asked his superior while we were doing my interview and according to him it would be permitted after i was put on active duty. Thank you all for your time, answers, and service to our great country I seriously do appreciate it Marines.
    Well then what was the ****ing purpose of your question?

Are we to be impressed that you are actually skilled and can throw a knife? Who says, you. **** padewan, I got a black belt in bar stool!

Besides, never carry a knife to a gun fight.

Bam, bam, bam, bam, bam, bam!! 6 body mass shots.

What now? 'Oh yeah, nice knife, you gonna throw it????'.

Oh wait, you are ****ing dead!

Poolee/DEP Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    The point was when I first went and asked him he didn't know so I came here were all the Marines might be able to help answer it since I would assume have field experience and know. And honestly i wasn't trying to impress anyone. Everyone could easily get good at knife throwing if not better. Besides everyone has talent at something. Nice assumption though Wyoming

Credits
    Savings
    Thanks, but help me here, what exactly did I assume???

Credits
    Savings
    Steven
    You come in to a Marine site with an attitude
    Did you expect you could extract gracefully?

Marine Friend Free Member USNAviator's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by StevenF View Post
    The point was when I first went and asked him he didn't know so I came here were all the Marines might be able to help answer it since I would assume have field experience and know. And honestly i wasn't trying to impress anyone. Everyone could easily get good at knife throwing if not better. Besides everyone has talent at something. Nice assumption though Wyoming

Steven sorry but I didn't know this post existed. I see you hail from W. Virginia, I'm from Virginia so maybe we can get this straightened out

My brother is a Marine Corps JAG who works at the Marine Headquarters in DC. He's full Colonel so he knows his stuff. He sent me the Marine regulations on throwing knives

Marine Corps Order (MCO) 4630.16C -
    Knives, for throwing and hunting

Pursuant to Corps policy dated 12/13/09, only knives allowed for throwing and hunting shall be carried by enlisted ranks of E-7 and above and only officers with the rank of O-3 and above

Any other rank, unless specifically authorized in writing under Article 13.10 subsection/4567, shall be prohibited from knives, for throwing or hunting

So you see, you'll have to wait until you attain the rank of Gunnery Sgt. to be able to carry your knives with you

Now this policy is subject to change so I strongly suggest you print out this info and bring it with you when you next visit your recruiter. Perhaps he has more up to date intel on the subject

Hope this helps

Poolee/DEP Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Wyoming the assumption I mean is you thought I was bragging about me being skilled with throwing knives. If it was sarcasm or a joke then by all means I will apologize but sarcasm can be a bit hard to understand over typing.

And gehrij I didn't come here with an attitude but I did come here with a question to be answered but I have answered each Marine's response as i saw it in the utmost respect.

And thank you Aviator your post is a big help and I'll check to see if those are the updated regulations or what I was told.

Last edited by StevenF; 04-01-11 at 03:12 PM. Reason: I felt gehrij deserved to be referred to by his name.

Thread Information