Glasses in the Corps
Create Post
    Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings

Glasses in the Corps

Hello,
    I am currently a wannabe. My main concern prior to enlisting is the fact that I wear glasses. I know all about the BCG's in Recruit Training, so my main question is... Has any Marine who wears glasses found any problems or anything such as that with wearing them while in Recruit Training and afterwards? If this seems like a insignificant worry to all of you Marines who have BTDT then please enlighten me. I also used the search feature and did not come across a thread that discussed this topic, but if anyone knows of a thread that answers my question please direct me to it, and disregard my post.

Thank You and Have A Good Day,

Taylor John Vatter

Why worry now it looks like you have a few years to wait? Semper Fidelis

No. I went thru in 82 with the old black "Roy Orbison" BCG's and didn't have any problem. I did, however NOT listen to the photographer who told me to take them off, I should have, since I got contact lens's after graduation and haven't really worn glasses since.

Not sure exactly what you are looking for, though....but it's not a big deal.

BCG's are fine for bootcamp as nobody cares how nerdy you look. You also need the thicker plastic frames for PT, martial arts training, etc. as wire frames bend too easy.

Once in the fleet, most Marines opt for conservative wire-framed civilian style glasses but keep their BCG's for field exercises/deployments.

He's asking if there were any issues with wearing glasses. Not if he'll look like a nerd.

I hated having to wear glasses. You will find that in the heat of the summer with a kevlar on that your glasses will tend to fog up. Not to mention the pain in the a$$ you have to deal with when it rains or you're in a muddy environment.

Personally I would look at LASIK as soon as you can. Especially if you are going into some sort of combat arms or support.

I'm not sure what the military's policy is on LASIK, but you should have more than enough money after boot camp to seriously consider it. As long as you don't blow that money on useless trinkets.

Quote Originally Posted by brian0351 View Post
    He's asking if there were any issues with wearing glasses. Not if he'll look like a nerd.

I hated having to wear glasses. You will find that in the heat of the summer with a kevlar on that your glasses will tend to fog up. Not to mention the pain in the a$$ you have to deal with when it rains or you're in a muddy environment.

Personally I would look at LASIK as soon as you can. Especially if you are going into some sort of combat arms or support.

I'm not sure what the military's policy is on LASIK, but you should have more than enough money after boot camp to seriously consider it. As long as you don't blow that money on useless trinkets.
    ^ he brings up a good point. Unless it's changed in the last few years, you can request & get put on a waitlist for a LASIK type surgery (i believe the Corps does PRK not LASIK but the difference doesnt matter). & its free.

i have never heard of someone getting denied PRK surgery, so put in for it as soon as you get into the fleet. your Corpsman will/should have some info.

Credits
    Savings
    Thank you all very much with these answers. I wasn't necessarily referring to how I would look with the glasses, but that is my fault, I should have been more specific with the question. I will definitely look into the PRK / Lasik procedure and find out my options with both of those.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnV View Post
    Thank you all very much with these answers. I wasn't necessarily referring to how I would look with the glasses, but that is my fault, I should have been more specific with the question. I will definitely look into the PRK / Lasik procedure and find out my options with both of those.
    Do a search on the site for PRK/Lasic Surgery. It's been covered many times before.

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by SoftballCatch23 View Post
    Do a search on the site for PRK/Lasic Surgery. It's been covered many times before.
    Will do, Thank you Ma'am

.. Has any Marine who wears glasses found any problems
    Yes plenty, if you don't wear a strap they may slip down your nose and sometimes you won't be able to push them back up
    Lenses will get scratched, temples break and tweak. What i would do on boot camp leave or whenever, is bring issued glasses to an optical store and locate a sturdy pair of frames with built in nose pads and spring loaded temples. They will take your prescription from the code on the military glasses so there is no need to pay for another eye exam. Once the lenses are cut and the frames are adjusted to fit; I would ask if they will attach "cable temples". If they don't offer this service I can buy them online and do it myself with a multi-tool - splice - a little technique - and ditch the elastic strap for good...

I've used these in a sweaty occupation for over 20 years, no complaints. It takes at least few years for sweat and salt to crack and corrode a pair of $7.00 cables

LASIK from what I heard is a no go because it leaves a flap of your eye open, PRK does not.

Hello,
    I am currently a wannabe. My main concern prior to enlisting is the fact that I wear glasses. I know all about the BCG's in Recruit Training, so my main question is... Has any Marine who wears glasses found any problems or anything such as that with wearing them while in Recruit Training and afterwards? If this seems like a insignificant worry to all of you Marines who have BTDT then please enlighten me. I also used the search feature and did not come across a thread that discussed this topic, but if anyone knows of a thread that answers my question please direct me to it, and disregard my post.

Thank You and Have A Good Day,

Taylor John Vatter
    I will tell you this, while qualifying on the Rifle Range it started to rain. The rain and the Parris Island heat do not mix. Instant fogged lenses. If this happens to you, remember spit is your friend.

And afterwards? I never touched them again and just wore my contacts.

Thread Information