getting a bachelors degree while in marsoc?
Create Post

getting a bachelors degree while in marsoc?

I would like to enlist active duty as either a 0317 or 0321 or 0323, so my goal Is to volunteer for Marsoc as a "critical skill operator" for about 4-7 years. After USMC Id like to either apply for FBI as a special agent/HRT or CIA National Clandestine Service In Special Activities Division. In order for me to join FBI or CIA I need a bachelors degree so, how would I go about getting a bachelors while active duty in Marsoc or a scout/sniper?

Marine Friend Free Member USNAviator's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by scott99 View Post
    I would like to enlist active duty as either a 0317 or 0321 or 0323, so my goal Is to volunteer for Marsoc as a "critical skill operator" for about 4-7 years. After USMC Id like to either apply for FBI as a special agent/HRT or CIA National Clandestine Service In Special Activities Division. In order for me to join FBI or CIA I need a bachelors degree so, how would I go about getting a bachelors while active duty in Marsoc or a scout/sniper?
    It's not going to be easy but it can be done while your active duty. However it will take a long time because you'll be doing it part time. Most colleges require a course load of either 4 or 5 classes/semester depending on credit given on a full time basis

Buy going part time you'll only be taking 2-3 courses, most likely no more than 2. If you do summer school as well the most courses you can take in any given year is 6-8. That's in a 12 month period.

I teach at a university that requires 32, 4 credit courses for a degree Most students do that in 4 years, full time. Part time it would take 8 years. Every college or university is different. Check out schools on line to get start, to see how you'll do

Good luck to you

Quote Originally Posted by scott99 View Post
    I'm sure plenty of people would like to enlist active duty as an 0317...

As of now 0317 isn't even a PMOS broski, you have to try out for a spot in an STA platoon and await a SSS slot. Good luck not getting DQ'd at MEPS and then discuss your enlistment. You're better off looking at the intel field if you want to work at a three letter agency. You enlist with a contract program which includes several MOS', you cannot just enlist as an 0321 or something like that.

You have a bunch of 'ifs' in your question. As of right now 0317 is not a Primary MOS so you would need to be an 03 first. In order to be an 03 you will either need to enlist under an 03 contract or a recon contract. If you pass Recruit Training and then complete ITB, and then complete BRC you MIGHT be able to try out for MARSOC. If you are able to make it into Recon or MARSOC you will be going through so many schools and training opportunities you will have no time for college. If you are really smart you may be able to CLEP a few exams. Once you have done a deployment or two you MAY be able to swing some sort of instructor duty which will also entail many hours working but if you are academically talented you may be able to attend school online somehow. So maybe your second enlistment you MIGHT be able to work some sort of duty that will be 9-5, but doubtful. Keep in mind that all of these things you want to do require lots of skill, training and education. If you really want to do all of these things you need to focus on your short term goals and develop your long term goals. Try to focus on Recruit training and doing better than what is expected of you. There arent many folks in the jobs for a reason and the non-hackers will not make it. If you keep doing better than whats expected, you should have a chance.
    What is better than expected? Dont be the first one to sit down after a long hump or some exhausting PT. Be sure to look out for the welfare of the guys around you. Its one thing to finish something, its a completely different person to do it well. Remember you want to be the best at what you do, not just be doing it.

Getting a degree on active duty in 4 years is obtainable (a buddy of mine got his bachelors and started on his masters before 5 years was up. Of course he worked his keester off), it’s just a matter of how much work you’re willing to put into it. And how much work you’ll need to put into it will be greatly dependant on your job. Some jobs you work at a desk and your SNCO may let you do homework when it’s a slow work day. Other jobs you’re out turning wrenches on the flight line or out in the field most days and you’ll have to do all your school work on your own time. You’re always going to have SOME free time. Just depends on how you want to spend it. You want to get drunk out in the bar with the boys, or do you want to study? I’m not knocking getting drunk with the boy, but It’s all about what you want to do and what you’re willing to do (or give up) to achieve it. Of course, you're probably going to have the least free time of anyone in the Marine Corps if you go MARSOC.

Any base you go to will have an education center. You can go to school wherever you want, but the education center will have representatives from certain schools on hand to help you. It’s like the recruiters office. You walk down the hall and you can pick whatever school you want to attend. You walk in, tell them you want to sign up for classes and they will help you. All of the schools represented at the education center will be military friendly. By that I mean, they know how to deal with military education benefits and know how to deal with the VA. Sure, you can go to Podunk community college in Buttcrack Kansas, but it’s going to be totally up to you to get everything in line as far as getting the military to pay for your tuition. And YOU’LL be the one on hold with the VA trying to get answers to your questions. Another good thing about choosing a school at the education center is they normally offer night and weekend face to face classes right on base. You normally have class once a week. Pretty much everyone has online classes too, but sometimes it’s good to take classes with a real teacher in front of you. These schools are also normally geared toward working adults. A lot of them have accelerated semesters. The school I went to had 8 week semesters. That’s half the time of a traditional school’s semesters. And you normally only take 1-4 classes at a time. It may not sound like much but in a year you can finish anywhere from 6 – 18 classes.

You can also take CLEP and DANTES exams for free. Say you have to take an algebra class as a pre-requisite for your degree, but you’re a math wiz and you wouldn’t be learning anything new. Go to the education center, see if they offer a CLEP or DANTES exam for algebra. If they do, sign up to take it. You go in, take like a 2 hour test that covers everything in the course. If you pass, you just saved yourself 8 weeks and $600 in tuition assistance. That’s 8 weeks and $600 you can commit to another class and graduate quicker. I probably CLEP’ed out of about a half a dozen classes that way.

As far as getting the military to pay for your tuition, most civilians think all you have is the GI Bill. Yes, you do get the GI Bill, but you also get what is called Tuition Assistance. It’s totally separate from the GI Bill. While you are on active duty you’re eligible to get $4,300 a year for tuition. That’s every year. And it’s not like you have to pay the money up front and then get reimbursed somewhere down the road. You just turn in your TA form and the VA takes care of the rest. $4,300 isn’t a huge amount, but if you shop around, you can find plenty of schools who only charge $100-$250 per credit hour. With 8 week semesters you can normally take an average of 2 classes each semester all year long. Let me put it this way, I did 4 ½ years on active duty. I finished my bachelors ONLY using tuition assistance. I’m a civilian now and I haven’t even touched my GI Bill. Guess how I’m going to pay for my masters degree? And now they have what’s called the “post 911 GI bill”. This thing is great. If you’re interested in what that is I can try to explain it, but basically in addition to getting your tuition paid, it will pay you a housing allowance at an E-5 rate.

I think it’s such a waste when I see young Marines getting out after one or two enlistments and they never took advantage of their education benefits while they were in. Their plan for getting out is to START college. 25 year old dude just now starting their 4 year degree? Sure, better late than never, but what a missed opportunity. I can understand between deployments and work schedules it tough, but at least start chipping away at it.

Good luck.

Why don't you just worry about getting into the elite of Marsoc before anything else?

Champions don't go on the field thinking about where they are going on vacation.

Ok would I be able to enlist in reserves with a 03xx mos(1st Battalion, 24th Marine Regiment..Michigan, or 4th Recon Battalion, 3rd or 4th Force Recon Company) when Im 18, after all required training etc. would I be able to get tuition assistance for one of two community college's that offer bachelor's degree's: Macomb Community/Oakland Community? If so would I be able to do 2 years out of 4 then transfer from reserves to active duty then volunteer for marsoc, by then ill be 20 or 21 years old, serve active for about 5-7 years then either return to reserve or leave the USMC and finish the 2 years or during my time in active finish the 2 years with there online courses?

Reserve education benefits are totally different, I suggest you talk with your recruiter about it (as a current recruiter myself, it's much easier to discuss this kind of stuff face to face with my pool). As far as your plans after the Marines, as an Intel Marine who has worked in very close relationships with some of those groups you mentioned... I really really suggest that you either consider an Intel MOS or plan on doing at least 8-10 years active duty.... those places don't hire people fresh out of the military with only 3-4 years of actual experience, especially if you only have 1 or 2 deployments under your belt... just some friendly words of advice.

Not sure about reserve recon, but our Sniper platoon basically just holds an indoc every year or two and draws from the other companies in the battalion. If you are smart and in good shape you have a chance, but they judge you on land nav, decision making, shooting of course, and others, and even if you "pass" can and do reject people. Then when slots become available they will send you to school, usually it ends up being a re-enlistment incentive. All other training is OJT.

Mike

Pretty sure you don't get tuition assistance when you are a reservist. I don't even think you get the full GI Bill that active duty Marines get. Besides, that's a pretty complicated plan you described. Could it work out that way? Maybe. But the Marine Corps rarely works out like you planned it on paper. Just realize there is no formula to get a job with the CIA or FBI. Sure, there are qualities and skills they look for, but don't just assume that because you were ricky recon that they are going to hire you on the spot. There are plenty of paths people have taken to get hired in those government positions. Just be open to all your options.

Marine Friend Free Member USNAviator's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    I know this doesn't affect you now but things like this happen from time to time. Sometimes the jobs you want simply aren't there. From the FBI website

At this time, federal agencies are operating under a Continuing Resolution with limited funding. As a result, the Department of Justice has ordered a temporary freeze on agency hiring.

Until the budgetary restrictions are lifted and the FBI has funding to support hiring additional personnel, applications will not be accepted for any positions. Please return to this website for updates to our hiring opportunities. Thank you for your continued interest in FBI employment

And if you're going to apply consider majoring in one of these critical skill areas. Not everyone gets hired as a field agent. Pay attention to the phrase "one or more" Show up with as many skills as you can

FBI SPECIAL AGENT CRITICAL SKILLS

After qualifying for one of the Entry Programs, Special Agent candidates with one or more Critical Skills will be prioritized in the hiring process.

Thread Information