Corpsman Awarded Silver Star
Create Post
    Credits
    Savings

Corpsman Awarded Silver Star

Corpsman awarded Silver Star for bravery

SYRACUSE, Kan. — A 24-year-old Kansas Navy Corpsman has been awarded the Silver Star for his bravery as a Corpsman in Afghanistan.

Petty Officer 3rd Class Peter Gould was in an Afghanistan field hospital in July recovering from severe wounds caused by a roadside bomb when he learned he had been awarded the Silver Star.

“I didn’t believe it, really, it was the last thing on my mind,” Gould said, speaking by cell phone from Camp Pendleton, Calif., where he is currently stationed.

He told The Hutchinson News he was still in shock then and more concerned about the others in his unit and if they survived the Taliban ambush.

Earlier this month, Gould was officially pinned with the star for his bravery during the firefight that took the life of Marine Cpl. Larry Harris Jr., and wounded two other Marines in the unit.

Attending the ceremony at a Camp Pendleton parade deck were Peter’s parents, Joe and Malissa Gould, Syracuse, and some of his seven siblings.

Joe Gould, pastor of Syracuse’s Christ’s New Covenant Church recalled when his son called home that July morning, downplaying his injuries.

“He also told us that the Marines would call and say he was in bad shape, but they would just be exaggerating,” Joe Gould said.

During the firefight, Gould and Harris ran out to rescue a machine gunner who had been hit and pulled him behind a wall. He began working on the injured soldier, but then orders came to get the injured out.

When they were carrying the injured to the medi-vac area, Gould was hit by an explosion.

“My right side went numb,” he said.

Despite the shrapnel blast to his face and neck, Gould continued to administer aid. He was told that Harris was bleeding bad and not breathing. Gould directed them in how to start CPR. While he couldn’t see anything, they kept relaying to him what they were doing.

Within 30 minutes a helicopter came within 100 yards, but an enemy rocket was fired and the helicopter took off.

“That’s when I felt my chances were pretty much gone,” Peter said. “I didn’t think we had a chance.”

He said the helicopter didn’t have to come back for them. But it circled once and did return. Four of the men in the unit were rescued.

When he woke in the field hospital Gould asked about Harris and the gunner. He learned Harris had died and the gunner was still in surgery.

Gould has gone through several surgeries, with crushed bones in his face, a perforated eardrum, and lot of plastic surgery on the right side of his face. The shrapnel hit his carotid artery. He also injured his arm, which is healing.

“It definitely was one of the most loneliest times coming home by myself,” he said. His unit remained in Afghanistan until November. In a company of 89, 17 Marines were killed and about 50 were wounded, during their time in country.

Gould will get out of the military in June. He plans to stay in California, attend college and eventually hopes to go to medical school.
    http://www.marinecorpstimes.com/news/2011/03/ap-marine-medic-awarded-silver-star -031911/
    "SEMPER-FI"

Semper Fi, Doc!

Get well soon!

Corpsman Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    .....SEMPER FIDELIS, HM3 Gould!!! My thoughts and prayers are with him, for a good recovery......

Credits
    Savings
    Same Here Doc..thank God For Corpsmen...semper Fidelis!!!!!

It's a known Fact-that Corpsman will take better care of Their Marines-than of Themselves.This Tradition continues-with HM3 Gould.God Bless you and All the Corpsman and Marines in Harms way.Semper Fi.Self Sacrifice is because of The Marines High Standard Of Service-Corpsman really care about Their Marines-and Automatically forget about themselves.........HU RAH...............

Same is true about HM2 Bobby Ray-What a Corpsman-I am so Touched-I look up to him as a Great Hero-because that's what he is.He didn't think of himself-He went Beyond his own Self Preservation-He wasn't Thinking-He was Doing-what he was Trained to do -not even Aware of Himself.Half of my FMF-Corpsman Class was killed in Nam.I'm sure many of them did similar Feats of Bravery to Save Their Marine Brothers.I'm Proud to have been a Corpsman-but I'll Never Be Able To Walk in Their Shoes.They are Everything Corpsman Should Be.The Navy Does Do Something Right-They Train Corpsman.The Marines Turn Them Into Marine Brothers-that Really Care For Their Marine Family;and Thus They Go Beyond Self Preservation.I Salute Them To the Fullest.Only Marines,Corpsman,Army Medic's-can Understand this Type Of Dedication.Me-No Hero Noticed or Present-that's why I'm still here.God Bless Them and You All.Semper Fi Forever........................................... .......

Thread Information