Quit drinking - Page 2
Create Post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Quit drinking

Quote Originally Posted by Hawk7051 View Post
    I have formally quit drinking. It started out as a "drying off" period, it is now day 16. I have been drinking for 9 years since I turned 21 at Camp Pendleton.

I fortunately have never been in any alcohol related incident. However there is too much riding on what seems like a trivial thing..........

Semper Fi.
    In my experience it is only a matter of time BEFORE there is an alcohol related incident. Being dependent on alcohol or any other substance is never a trivial thing. If you've felt the need to have a drying off period then there's a probably a reason for that, whether it be physical or emotional you should pay attention to it. I quit finally after years of trying half heartedly, and can honestly tell you the grass is greener on the sober side of this fence!

Good Luck and Semper Fi....

Marine Friend Free Member USNAviator's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    I was a pretty good drinker in my younger days, if there is such a thing. Beer call at the O club was expected, damn near mandatory and if you had a CO or XO who were booze hounds, you were in for a long night

I can remember mornings during flight ops when we'd get to our birds early and suck on pure oxygen to clear our heads. Hopefully that doesn't go on today but I suspect it does

What set me on the straight and narrow was becoming a husband and father. To realize I was responsible for the well being of others is a great sobriety test.

To all who are fighting the disease, I offer you my hope and prayers

Thank you everyone. The responses I have received have been very motivating and real.

I am taking the cash that would have gone to booze and using it to buy an NCO sword. I never purchased one on active duty, and have always wanted one. I found a good deal on one at a local surplus store, exactly my length 32", have it on lay away.

Credits
    Savings
    Thank you everyone. The responses I have received have been very motivating and real.

I am taking the cash that would have gone to booze and using it to buy an NCO sword. I never purchased one on active duty, and have always wanted one. I found a good deal on one at a local surplus store, exactly my length 32", have it on lay away.
    Great idea Hawk. It will last you one hell of lot longer than the last drink you had.

When our daughter passed from Leukemia I crawled into the bottle thinking that was the answer. The next day the same problem was always there and I have no memories of the 80's at all. When you are drinking you always find an excuse for the next drink no matter how much you have induced into your body. Used to wake up in the chair at home and go out and see if I drove home. Always checked the car to see if I had hit anything. I guess I was lucky. Really glad that I am finished with that life. Quit cold turkey and haven't had the desire to go down that path again.

Today marks 30 days of no alcohol. After 9 years of drinking, the previous month has been a challenge, I quit cold turkey.

Semper Fi

Credits
    Savings
    Today marks 30 days of no alcohol. After 9 years of drinking, the previous month has been a challenge, I quit cold turkey.

Semper Fi
    Continued sobriety Hawk......

Semper Fi
    Keep up the good work BEN,it's a tough road but you can do it Marine.....Have faith.....
    SEMPER FI........................Ed

Semper Fi

Congrats Hawk!! I know you can do it!! I don't drink, but quit smoking cold turkey 8 yr. ago and it was hard for 3 mo. and now don't even bother me to be around somebody else that smokes. We're behind you!!
    Semper Fi
    Lin

Semper Fi
    Ben, I really do feel you on this. I have been trying my best to stay sober myself. I haven't had any alcohol in over 2 months, and I have been going to AA and keeping active, but somehow it doesn't always seem to work. I still find nearly every single day so far since my last drink to be a struggle, not just with alcohol but also with my anger too. I really hope that you can keep up the sobriety and I hope I can keep my sobriety up too. I have confidence in you bro.

SF Brother

Good Job Hawk ! Keep it up Brother....

Same for you BURKE!

I found for myself that alcohol and bad temper issues kinda go hand in hand. After a certain period of real sobriety though the anger issues needed to be worked on separately.

Semper Fi Brothers!

Marine Family Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Keep up the good work, Hawk7051. I have a story or two but they certainly may sound the same as the other stories except for the time, date, names and happenstance. No need anyway because the focus is on you and your efforts. All the best to you.
    Gary

Quote Originally Posted by Old Marine View Post
    When our daughter passed from Leukemia I crawled into the bottle thinking that was the answer. The next day the same problem was always there and I have no memories of the 80's at all. When you are drinking you always find an excuse for the next drink no matter how much you have induced into your body. Used to wake up in the chair at home and go out and see if I drove home. Always checked the car to see if I had hit anything. I guess I was lucky. Really glad that I am finished with that life. Quit cold turkey and haven't had the desire to go down that path again.

Sobering message..I am sorry.

Thank you for sharing.

Thread Information