Quit drinking
Create Post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Quit drinking

Quit drinking

I have formally quit drinking. It started out as a "drying off" period, it is now day 16. I have been drinking for 9 years since I turned 21 at Camp Pendleton.

I fortunately have never been in any alcohol related incident. However there is too much riding on what seems like a trivial thing.

I have my civilian pilot ratings and recently just enlisted in the ANG as a C-130 crew chief.

It has been very psychologically demanding.

Semper Fi.

Congrats.

Marine Friend Free Member USNAviator's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawk7051 View Post
    I have formally quit drinking. It started out as a "drying off" period, it is now day 16. I have been drinking for 9 years since I turned 21 at Camp Pendleton.

I fortunately have never been in any alcohol related incident. However there is too much riding on what seems like a trivial thing.

I have my civilian pilot ratings and recently just enlisted in the ANG as a C-130 crew chief.

Semper Fi.

Congrats on all counts. If you're going to continue flying it's best doing so sober

Are you certified private, recreational or sport? And do you have your instrument rating?

Quote Originally Posted by USNAviator View Post
    Congrats on all counts. If you're going to continue flying it's best doing so sober

Are you certified private, recreational or sport? And do you have your instrument rating?
    Commander,

I am a commercial certificated pilot, multi & single engine land, with an instrument rating.

Marine Friend Free Member USNAviator's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    Commander,

I am a commercial certificated pilot, multi & single engine land, with an instrument rating.
    Outstanding, you're good to go.

Mongoose
    Guest Free Member

Semper Fi.
    Good for you Hawk! I drank for 45 years. The day I turned 60, I put it down for good.

Semper Fi.
    Outstanding. I gave it up along with the smokes when they opened my chest in 1990. These days when I so much as smell a bottle cork, I feel drunk. Best thing that ever happened for me and my health along with my wallet.

Talking A little known fact !

I haven't had any great amount , just N A beer for the last 20 years , quit cold turkey , wasn't all that hard as I just woke up to the fact that I could get a DUI sometime !

No tobacco and very little alcohol has created more liquidity and investment opportunity's around here!

After a full day of shoeing i used to drink my face off as a "reward", like a celebration for surviving, collecting a check and remaining relatively sound; then crippled my efforts with excessive alcohol. Did that for almost two decades but these day's only inebriate a couple times per year, or less. Guess i outgrew it.

Oh but the pain did suck! Wrastling shoes on horses while hungover is a farriers personal little chunk of hell.
    Odoul's aint for me because i can now sample alcohol in moderation.

Haven't driven drunk in about 5 years and no open containers in my lap for at least 8.

Great! Just wish I could. LOL Not ready just yet though. Although I have trimmed it back from a couple cases per week, to a few beers during the week, and only drink more on the week-ends. With me it's a leg cramp deal. When I drink more than a couple, I get severe leg cramps during the night.

Good for you! I gave up drinking for 15 years but somehow heard the Coors Light siren calling me back...

Congratulations, keep up the good work, Jack Daniels and I use to be good friends, but he got me into alot of trouble, got me 10 ft tall and bullet proof, or the worlds greatest love, never went to bed with a ugly woman, but darn it I did wake up with a few, I quit drinking in Dec 1989 and quit smoking in 1992. Ain't been drunk since. But of all the drugs I ever did, that by far was the worst on me.

Semper Fi

Credits
    Savings
    Images

Semper Fi.
    Congrats. I've been totally dry since my retirement party from the Air Guard (July1992). I stopped drinking and driving sooner than that after I had to arrest another police officer for killing a pedestrian while driving drunk. There but for the Grace of God, went I.

I do have a serious suggestion. As you are learning, it is very difficult to quit cold turkey (but it's the best way to go). I suggest that you find a support group that you can spend some time with during the first year or so. I didn't do that and paid a bit of a price mentally down the road. My first shrink was rather amazed that I was able to do it on my own and stay sober that long (six-years at that point).

As you well know, drinking excessively is an emotional crutch and something will have to replace it. For me, I turned into a workaholic and that was almost as bad, as it turned out. So one needs some help avoiding harmful replacement crutches.

Nothing says you have to go once a week. Maybe just when you feel the need for some company and a chat.

Funny thing though, I quit smoking a year before I quit drinking, but now sometimes, I get an urge to smoke, but never an urge to drink.

Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Zulu 36 View Post
    Congrats. I've been totally dry since my retirement party from the Air Guard (July1992). I stopped drinking and driving sooner than that after I had to arrest another police officer for killing a pedestrian while driving drunk. There but for the Grace of God, went I.

I do have a serious suggestion. As you are learning, it is very difficult to quit cold turkey (but it's the best way to go). I suggest that you find a support group that you can spend some time with during the first year or so. I didn't do that and paid a bit of a price mentally down the road. My first shrink was rather amazed that I was able to do it on my own and stay sober that long (six-years at that point).

As you well know, drinking excessively is an emotional crutch and something will have to replace it. For me, I turned into a workaholic and that was almost as bad, as it turned out. So one needs some help avoiding harmful replacement crutches.

Nothing says you have to go once a week. Maybe just when you feel the need for some company and a chat.

Funny thing though, I quit smoking a year before I quit drinking, but now sometimes, I get an urge to smoke, but never an urge to drink.

Good luck.
    I have a couple of friends who were full time hard core alcoholics. One, a former Marine who was Marine of the Quarter at El Toro when he was in, and was a drunk as a civilian once he got out. After ruining ours and many other friendships due to drinking, he finally tried AA. He has been sober now for over 10 years. In fact he adminstered CPR on my Dad when he had his fatal Heart attack, but felt guilty because he wasn't able to save him. It was that act that rekindled our friendship. But AA was the deciding influence in his staying sober. I've seen the results. It works. Like Marine bothers, AA members have the fact that they have been there to relate to those who ask for help.

Semper Fi.
    Ben,
    I'm really happy for you my Crash Crew brother. I still am having trouble constantly on a daily basis when it comes to trying to stay sober. I hope you will have the strength to stay committed. I found that AA has helped me a lot, but I still have some issues to overcome. I truly wish you the best in your future endeavors.

Semper Fi
    -Derek

Thread Information