Dealing with parents
Create Post
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Dealing with parents

I am very passionate about the Marines and I am so ready to sign already. I am signing really soon but my parents are freaking out. I don't know if they thought I was just talk but now they are really upset. I am joining no matter what but I am trying to find a way to calm them down because no matter what we all need and want our parents support. Though not true they tell me Marines is a “Mans Military.” I know it’s not and I want to be a strong female Marine but I was wondering if anyone has any words of advice on how to handle them and what I can do to calm them down.
    Thank you guys Semper Fi!!!

And it Marines, not guys.

[Poolee Rules] Attention New Poolee & Wannabe Members

Rule Six never use the words Semper Fi, Semper Fidelis or OORAH you do not rate that here until you have earned the title of United States Marine!

Rule Nine make sure when you post a thread its in the proper forum, you do not rate to post in a Marine forum at any time prior to earning the title. Read the headings over the recruit forums for a guide!

http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/sh...t=28989&page=2

Forum Rules! Read Before Posting!
    http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=59447

Quote Originally Posted by SoftballCatch23 View Post
    And it Marines, not guys.

[Poolee Rules] Attention New Poolee & Wannabe Members

Rule Six never use the words Semper Fi, Semper Fidelis or OORAH you do not rate that here until you have earned the title of United States Marine!

Rule Nine make sure when you post a thread its in the proper forum, you do not rate to post in a Marine forum at any time prior to earning the title. Read the headings over the recruit forums for a guide!

http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/sh...t=28989&page=2

Forum Rules! Read Before Posting!
    http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=59447
    Sorry about that I must have missed that part. I just joined and am looking for informationa and still getting use to the sight. It wont happen again.

Marine Friend Free Member USNAviator's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by Heatherm103 View Post
    I am very passionate about the Marines and I am so ready to sign already. I am signing really soon but my parents are freaking out. I don't know if they thought I was just talk but now they are really upset. I am joining no matter what but I am trying to find a way to calm them down because no matter what we all need and want our parents support. Though not true they tell me Marines is a “Mans Military.” I know it’s not and I want to be a strong female Marine but I was wondering if anyone has any words of advice on how to handle them and what I can do to calm them down.
    Thank you guys Semper Fi!!!

Heather I can understand your position regarding your parents but as I see on your profile you're 23. Be respectful of their wishes but it's your life. They'll get over it or they'll deal with it

I see you attended college. Did you graduate? If so are you considering attending OCS?

Quote Originally Posted by USNAviator View Post
    Heather I can understand your position regarding your parents but as I see on your profile you're 23. Be respectful of their wishes but it's your life. They'll get over it or they'll deal with it

I see you attended college. Did you graduate? If so are you considering attending OCS?
    I was thinking of attending OCS but I dont know how I feel beeing in a high leadership position without doing the job first. I think after I have been in for a few years I might want to attened OCS.

Credits
    Savings
    I was thinking of attending OCS but I dont know how I feel beeing in a high leadership position without doing the job first. I think after I have been in for a few years I might want to attened OCS.
    Well since your question is how to deal with your parents. Have you talked with a recruiter yet? Signed anything? When you get to that stage politely tell your recruiter about their concerns and ask him if he'd talk with your folks. Most recruiters will be more than happy to allay the fears of parents.

Quote Originally Posted by USNAviator View Post
    Well since your question is how to deal with your parents. Have you talked with a recruiter yet? Signed anything? When you get to that stage politely tell your recruiter about their concerns and ask him if he'd talk with your folks. Most recruiters will be more than happy to allay the fears of parents.
    I have been talking to a recruiter for a while now but my parents want nothing to do with him. He has given me some advice but I was wondering if there was anything else out there that might help. I am I have not signed yet and i am sorry i posted this in the wrong section. I really do appreciate your help. I am going to sign no matter what but it would be nice to have my parents support.

Credits
    Savings
    I have been talking to a recruiter for a while now but my parents want nothing to do with him. He has given me some advice but I was wondering if there was anything else out there that might help. I am I have not signed yet and i am sorry i posted this in the wrong section. I really do appreciate your help. I am going to sign no matter what but it would be nice to have my parents support.
    There is a search fuction at the top of the screen Type in "help with parents " etc you'll probably get some better answers than what I can provide. I'm a 57 yo retired Cmdr. whose been out of the loop for more than I care to remember. Hell I have a TV somewhere older than you..... Also you can find out info about someone on here by just clicking on their name. Just for future ref.

Good luck to you!!

Quote Originally Posted by Dave2571 View Post
    Good idea, Dan.....I just PMd her about a lot of things, chiefly that at this stage, if your parents, Heather, are not coming around, it is best to just tell them what you intend to do, and how you are planning on doing it, that you wish you had their support but that you understand where they care coming from, too, and it is one of those things you plan on doing, just like you went to college and finished, you will tackle this and finish it, too----so it boils down to a kind of speech given by you to them rather than the give and take which might not get anywhere.
    You can try the give and take first, but if it fails, as it might, then what I outlined above, is what I would do, personally.
    As Dan says, the recruiter might be willing to talk with them at a sit-down session, they do that-----but officer vs enlisted, two different worlds, you need to look into both.
    Most folks here will tell you that if you have a college degree, then go the officer route.

We posted at the very same time, Heather----since you have tried the recruiter/parent route, I would simply state what I am going to do and why, and that you hope you have their support and if you don't know, you hope at some point it will be forthcoming----but do search the Ask A Marine section, or PM Sgt Leprechaun, the moderator, to have this moved there, so you will get a lot more responses........right now, I see nothing constructive in you and your parents locking horns over this, so it should be done another way, namely, you just advising them what is going to happen and say you really would like their support.
    OK thank you I will do that. I really do appreciate all of your advice.

Credits
    Savings
    You can PM Sgt Leprechaun and he will move this to Ask A Marine, where you will get a lot more responses. Plus don't forget the search, Heather, in that section, you will see thread after thread about parents not being thrilled that their son or daughter is headed into the USMC.....But they come around eventually, at graduation, or they sometimes don't, but either way, you have to do what is right for you. Naturally, it feels better when you have their support.
    Heather this is why we pay Dave the big bucks

You can PM Sgt Leprechaun and he will move this to Ask A Marine, where you will get a lot more responses. Plus don't forget the search, Heather, in that section, you will see thread after thread about parents not being thrilled that their son or daughter is headed into the USMC.....But they come around eventually, at graduation, or they sometimes don't, but either way, you have to do what is right for you. Naturally, it feels better when you have their support.
    Ok I will I appreciate all your help. Its nice to have the support. :}

Heather, while they may not be thrilled about it at the moment....when you come home in Dress blues, as a MARINE, they'll be bragging all over the place. Their feelings are normal, and esp. if there is no long tradition of service in your family.

I've moved this one to the proper forum. Welcome aboard!

Quote Originally Posted by Sgt Leprechaun View Post
    Heather, while they may not be thrilled about it at the moment....when you come home in Dress blues, as a MARINE, they'll be bragging all over the place. Their feelings are normal, and esp. if there is no long tradition of service in your family.

Well said, My Father is a total Marine buff, before i joined, he was Air Force, go Figure, so i wanted to join, he said NO. I told him im doing it whether he likes it or not, and he and my mother finally came around and supported me, and have been a marine for 3 1/2 years about to do another 4.

Quote Originally Posted by Sgt Leprechaun View Post

Thank you Sir. I am now starting to get use to the site and I re-read the rules so hopefully next time there won’t be as much confusion.

Thank you all for your advice. I have been talking to my parents a lot the last few days and I have been overloading them with information and repeating to them my reasons for wanting to join. They are still not 100% on board but they are more comfortable knowing I am doing my research and asking advice from Marines such like you. Thank you all!

Good! Tell them to come here and poke around a bit. They are welcome to PM me as well.

I WISH my 2 older daughters would have enlisted. But other issues prevented it. I'm prepping my other 2 kids (11,10) now to either get an academy appointment or flat out enlist.

v/r

Thread Information