Yankee White security clearance?
Create Post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Yankee White security clearance?

Hello Marines, I was just curious, is there any MOS in the Marine Corps that requires a YANKEE WHITE security clearance? For those who don't know, Yankee White is the highest security clearance that can be obtained. Most of the bodyguards in the U.S Secret Service as well as other departments in Langley and Washington have them. My MOS (Logistics) apparently requires a Secret Clearance (polygraph maybe?) and know that there is a top secret clearance, but was curious if any MOS required a Yankee White clearance. Thanks.

Credits
    Savings
    HMX-1 for one, or anything that comes in contact with the POTUS!

What is Yankee White Clearance?

Yankee White is a security clearance given in the United States for personnel working with the President. Obtaining such clearance requires, in part, a Single Scope Background Investigation (SSBI) by the Department of Defense. Contrary to popular lore, the Yankee White clearance given to personnel who work directly with the President is not a classification, but rather a type of background check.

Thanks to both! I can assume the HMX-1 is equivalent to Yankee White, because one of our recruiters mentioned that Marine honor guards are required to have em before they can even touch Marine One. Or something along those lines... all these clearances are making my head spin...

DudefromDiego....just curious, when do you go to boot camp?

20110108. Originally had a 20112706 ship date but a change in my MOS pushed my shipdate about a month back. Am I in trouble?

When I was the Security Chief with the Special Security Office, USCENTCOM J2, I had a GAMMA clearance (my ID badge was green and had a big G on it). Basically, with a GAMMA clearance, you can handle satellite images (I did not have a "need to know" so I did not actually look at any of the documents inside the cover sheet whenever I hand-carried them to the CINC).

Yankee White is an administrative nickname that gets stamped on DD Form 1879 when you request clearance to work with or around the president or vice president because there is no specific item to check to note that you are obtaining a clearance to work around those people (per DODI 5210.87, Nov. 30, 1998). Though you will obtain a clearance upon approval, it is an administrative marking and that is it. Failure to obtain a security clearance means you can't work around the president/vice president. You basically have to fulfill the same requirements needed to obtain a clearance equivalent to the level of information that you may come in contact with while carrying out your duties. The highest classification is top secret, if anyone says otherwise then they either are blowing smoke up your butt or they don't know/understand the systems for classification. Lastly, I don't think any details, even if unclassified, regarding subsystems should really be discussed here on Leatherneck; if someone doesn't know already, then they probably don't really need to know.

Quote Originally Posted by DudefromDiego View Post
    20110108. Originally had a 20112706 ship date but a change in my MOS pushed my shipdate about a month back. Am I in trouble?
    No, you're not in trouble.

And I think this is one of those topics that should be deleted.

Quote Originally Posted by SoftballCatch23 View Post
    What is Yankee White Clearance?

Yankee White is a security clearance given in the United States for personnel working with the President. Obtaining such clearance requires, in part, a Single Scope Background Investigation (SSBI) by the Department of Defense. Contrary to popular lore, the Yankee White clearance given to personnel who work directly with the President is not a classification, but rather a type of background check.
    The old dog can still learn something new every day.

Quote Originally Posted by SoftballCatch23 View Post
    No, you're not in trouble.

And I think this is one of those topics that should be deleted.
    I see no reason to delete it. You can google Yankee White and get more information than has been given here.

(TS)/SCI is the highest clearance level and the one you'll have if you have a Yankee White background check. The folks on the HMX-1 have this type of background check, so security guys and comm guys mainly.

You won't need a poly for logistics. A lot of us with TS don't even have polys done.

If you think your head is spinning now, wait until you get to Recruit Training. You will think you head is a plane prop.

Quote Originally Posted by TinDragon View Post
    (TS)/SCI is the highest clearance level and the one you'll have if you have a Yankee White background check. The folks on the HMX-1 have this type of background check, so security guys and comm guys mainly.

You won't need a poly for logistics. A lot of us with TS don't even have polys done.
    Yes, I remember now. TS/SCI was my clearance level not GAMMA. I guess the GAMMA was just a designation for SIGINT material. Apologize for not remembering correctly and thanks for squaring me away (it's been a few years).

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by DrZ View Post
    I see no reason to delete it. You can google Yankee White and get more information than has been given here.
    Exactly what I did, but the poolee does not realize that google is his friend.

Lisa, why? Why delete the thead??

Thread Information