Marine to FBI?
Create Post

Thread: Marine to FBI?

Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings

Marine to FBI?

Which Marine Corps job would be the best for me to choose if I am planning a career in the FBI?

I will first start off by stating this is in the wrong section of the forum. I'm sure a moderator will float through here at some point and move it.

Having said that I will throw in my $.02 on the subject. It really depends on what you're wanting to do for the FBI. There are many different aspects. I don't work for the FBI at all, however I have applied and been rejected haha. From what I've been seeing, they're looking for people that have college degrees. Outside of that I can only suggest joining as an MP and lat moving into CID later on in your career.

If anyone here is more "in the know" than I am, please correct me on anything. These are more or less educated guesses on the topic.

Credits
    Savings
    Try graduating highschool, then at least a B.S. in accounting, law degree.
    You could start learning to do your own research in maybe a library dimbulb .

Don't they have career councelors in highschool any more ?, or are kids now asking for knowledge they could have learned earlier ????

Go ahead , tell me you graduated Highschool already ?

Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    I apologize that this question is in the wrong place, haha. I am new to this website and I hadn't realized. I was wondering about being a field agent for the FBI. Also, no, I have not graduated from high school yet. I am going to graduate this June and I am planning on leaving for boot camp soon after, so it's really not that far off for me. The counselors at my school know very little about the Marine Corps or any branch of the military for that matter, which is why I decided to ask people that actually know what they are talking about.

Constructive criticism; you need to concentrate on the immediate challenges that lie ahead of you. Make sure you get your HS degree, then complete boot camp, so on and so forth. I understand that you are attempting to create a road map for yourself. Just understand that your mind will most likely change throughout the next few years. When choosing an MOS, make sure you're choosing something that you will be happy with. Happiness will mean you will perform better, which in the long run will help you out more.

Marine Friend Free Member USNAviator's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by Ariana View Post
    Which Marine Corps job would be the best for me to choose if I am planning a career in the FBI?
    I think that question would best be answered by talking with a recruiter and visiting the FBI website

That being said I have two friends who are agents. Both served in the military, both have advanced degrees beyond the bachelors. Some undergraduate areas to consider are pre-law, Law school grad would be better, accounting/finance (remember how they caught Capone), chemistry, physics, psychology.

There are many upsides to working for any Federal law enforcement agency however like the military, they send you where they need you and you don't earn overtime. Pay scale is from $54k to $105k. Now I'm sure that sounds like a lot and it is unless you're assigned to the office in San Francisco or New York where living expenses will eat into that quite rapidly

One other thing to consider, the competition is fierce. You don't need to be former military to be an agent but you do have to be very well qualified. The Agency uses brain more than brawn to fight crime

To become and Agent with the FBI, you simply have to have a degree. Doesn't matter if it is in basket weaving. Your background doesn't play a major role in being hired. I have known people going through agent training (New Agents Training Unit) and they served as supply personnel in the military and others in the same class that never served in the military but flipped burgers to help get through college then hired on in the FBI.

Bottom line is you MUST have a degree. Plain and simple. Good luck to you.

Marine Friend Free Member USNAviator's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    I just visited the FBI website. I know this doesn't apply to you be advised things like this do occur from time to time

"At this time, federal agencies are operating under a Continuing Resolution with limited funding. As a result, the Department of Justice has ordered a temporary freeze on agency hiring.

Until the budgetary restrictions are lifted and the FBI has funding to support hiring additional personnel, applications will not be accepted for any positions. Please return to this website for updates to our hiring opportunities. Thank you for your continued interest in FBI employment"

Also here is some more info re. critical skills

FBI SPECIAL AGENT CRITICAL SKILLS

After qualifying for one of the Entry Programs, Special Agent candidates with one or more Critical Skills will be prioritized in the hiring process.
    So when you enter college consider one of these areas to study. A military background plus another critical skill area will give you a better chance to be hired. As I had said previously, the competition is fierce and the better qualified you are the better your chances of being hired

Quote Originally Posted by Ariana View Post
    The best job should one that requires enlisted pukes to salute you, other than that I know you need a degree.
    And, they won't take you if you fail bootcamp -- so, focus on that first.

Moved to proper forum. Some degrees are better than others....accounting, for example, is more desired than, say, basket weaving.

Phantom Blooper
    Guest Free Member
    accounting, for example, is more desired than, say, basket weaving
    If you have a degree in basket weaving you can make a basket and take all the Free Beer Inside and take it outside to the picnic tables easier to drink it at night....

If you have a degree in accounting you can set up a tab......

This will not answer your questions but just a couple quick stories related to the FBI Academy located on the Marine Corps Education and Development Command, Quantico, VA.

When I was going through Marine Security Guard School in 1988, we used the pistol range at the FBI Academy for qaulification with the service revolver issued by the State Department. We also went through their course for hostage rescue and fired in their "tire house" (rooms made out of used rubber tires so you fire live rounds).

One of the Instructor-Advisors's wives was employed by the FBI Academy as an "actress" of sorts. She would play a role in a hostage or some other situation. Her husband got orders to Drill Instructor school and later assigned to MCRD San Diego. Being an employee of the FBI, she was able to transfer to the field office in San Diego in some administrative capacity.

Being that the FBI is an agency within the Department of Justice, I would imagine any MOS in the legal/law enforcement fields would be beneficial.

Good luck to you.

I’m not in the FBI, and never have been. I haven’t even applied, but I have done research on applying in the past. So take my advice with a grain of salt. The two things I saw over and over again that seemed to make candidates stand out were an accounting degree and knowing a foreign language. Other options to consider along the lines of the FBI is the US Marshalls and the Secret Service. Again, all of which need at least a bachelors degree.

Thread Information