Desire Guidance from a USMC Veteran - Page 5
Closed Thread
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Marine Friend Free Member USNAviator's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by SoftballCatch23 View Post
    There are NO ex-Marines.....Once A Marine, Always A Marine!
    As I've told you in PM's..........LISTEN to Sgt Leprechaun!!! He knows his sh!t.
    If your instincts are telling you something is up, then you're right. You are going to get yourself involved with someone that's going to lead you down the wrong path.
    If you really want to be a Marine, then LEARN from Marines, not someone you don't even know.
    Listen to this Softballcatch, she knows what she's talking about. Also was the phrase ex-Marine yours or his? If he introduces you to this person as an ex-Marine and that person doesn't take offense, it's another red flag.

Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by USNAviator View Post
    Listen to this Softballcatch, she knows what she's talking about. Also was the phrase ex-Marine yours or his? If he introduces you to this person as an ex-Marine and that person doesn't take offense, it's another red flag.

Good advise. I'll see how he feels when I ask him if he's ex-marine.

I might not be going to greensboro this weekend. The VP of my company offered me a PT job at a new bar he opened up near Charlotte. I asked him if I could get Secret Squirrel a job. He agreed and now we're both going to be there this weekend from about 7pm to 2am Friday night and Saturday night. I'm not sure if Greensboro is going to be possible if we do that. He mentioned this Merc company named Blackwater. Apparently this guy used to be affiliated with it, "this GB guy"

Can we move this thread somewhere else. Anyone with internet access can see everything I'm saying. I've been really specific.

*edit* I think if I remember right... Ex-Marine was my phrase. I'm not sure if I'm remembering right though. I'll have to take notice if he uses that phrase.

Devin...all I can say is that you are making a HUGE MISTAKE working with and possibly going to Greensboro with someone you don't even know.
    I smell TROUBLE!!!

Devon,
    I have read this entire thread and will put my thoughts out here as well.

First...Listen to Sgt Leprechaun. He has been around for a while, knows how things work, and can typically smell a poser at 500 meters without fail.

Second...I applaud your desire to be a Marine however.... ALL Marines know that you must prepare for any task. You want to join us...then you must prepare as well. A recruiter is not going to waste time with you unless you (1) have no issues in your past, (2) have fulfilled the requirements to even be considered, and (3) prove to him/her that you are worth their time. It is part of the game and the rules stay the same at all times.

Third...Don't worry about training with someone whom I also believe is a poser. The Marine Corps has no need for recruits who believe they have been trained prior to hitting boot. The DIs will have to rip out that garbage and train you the Marine way. Whatever the Green Parfait could provide you will only cause you issue in recruit training. Stay far away from him and his potential training. And definitely do not go out into a remote area with anyone who wants to play war games with live ammunitions.

Forth.... The recruiter will talk to you if you approach him/her properly. Tell him/her that you understand that a potential recruit needs either a HS diploma or a GED with a minimum of 15 credits. Tell them you are working on getting the credits but you desire to learn all you can in the meantime from a reliable source...AKA the recruiters. This will let them know you are a reasonable person and they will spend the time needed. They won't give you a full day because they have work to do...but they will give you enough time to answer your questions and to ensure you know what you need to know and what you need to do.

Fifth...You seem to want to join for what I believe are correct reasons. You want to move your life in a proper direction and are motivated to do this. Great...wonderful...fine. BUT to do this.... you have to understand that currently the Marine Corps is in a downsizing mode. Couple this information with the knowledge there is a glut of potential recruits who currently fulfill all the necessary requirements. What this means is it is going to make it difficult for you to be seen as a potential until you fulfill the basic requirements. When you fulfill ALL requirements to become a potential recruit and are accepted into the DEP... THEN you need to bust your butt everyday so the recruiters see that you really do want to be a Marine and they/we want you to join as our brother. I have been out for nearly 40 years yet I am still as much of a Marine as the day I received my title. This is how the Marine Corps is...and how it will always be. Be respectful to those here...they have earned it. Be respectful to the recruiters.... they earn it every day!

The sixth and final point is that you need to focus on your goals. Your main goal is to become a Marine. I suggest you start by following number four. Make a physical list of what they tell you. Mark off the requirements one by one until they are complete. When you have completed them, then visit the recruiters again. This time, you will have everything necessary to really start towards becoming a US Marine. Remember to be honest, be respectful, and to be thankful to each person who assists you in completing your dream. If this is too much to ask, then please plan on another branch because this IS WHAT IS NEEDED FROM EVERY PERSON WHO QUALIFIES TO STAND ON THE YELLOW FOOTPRINTS.

Good luck on whatever you decide.

Whew...I gotta have a drink after reading about this Rambo guy. Jose Cuervo here I come. If I could only find my sombrero.

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by DrZ View Post
    Devon,

First...Listen to Sgt Leprechaun. He has been around for a while, knows how things work, and can typically smell a poser at 500 meters without fail.

Second...I applaud your desire to be a Marine however.... ALL Marines know that you must prepare for any task. You want to join us...then you must prepare as well. A recruiter is not going to waste time with you unless you (1) have no issues in your past, (2) have fulfilled the requirements to even be considered, and (3) prove to him/her that you are worth their time. It is part of the game and the rules stay the same at all times.

Third...Don't worry about training with someone whom I also believe is a poser. The Marine Corps has no need for recruits who believe they have been trained prior to hitting boot. The DIs will have to rip out that garbage and train you the Marine way. Whatever the Green Parfait could provide you will only cause you issue in recruit training. Stay far away from him and his potential training. And definitely do not go out into a remote area with anyone who wants to play war games with live ammunitions.

Forth.... The recruiter will talk to you if you approach him/her properly. Tell him/her that you understand that a potential recruit needs either a HS diploma or a GED with a minimum of 15 credits. Tell them you are working on getting the credits but you desire to learn all you can in the meantime from a reliable source...AKA the recruiters. This will let them know you are a reasonable person and they will spend the time needed. They won't give you a full day because they have work to do...but they will give you enough time to answer your questions and to ensure you know what you need to know and what you need to do.

Fifth...You seem to want to join for what I believe are correct reasons. You want to move your life in a proper direction and are motivated to do this. Great...wonderful...fine. BUT to do this.... you have to understand that currently the Marine Corps is in a downsizing mode. Couple this information with the knowledge there is a glut of potential recruits who currently fulfill all the necessary requirements. What this means is it is going to make it difficult for you to be seen as a potential until you fulfill the basic requirements. When you fulfill ALL requirements to become a potential recruit and are accepted into the DEP... THEN you need to bust your butt everyday so the recruiters see that you really do want to be a Marine and they/we want you to join as our brother. I have been out for nearly 40 years yet I am still as much of a Marine as the day I received my title. This is how the Marine Corps is...and how it will always be. Be respectful to those here...they have earned it. Be respectful to the recruiters.... they earn it every day!

The sixth and final point is that you need to focus on your goals. Your main goal is to become a Marine. I suggest you start by following number four. Make a physical list of what they tell you. Mark off the requirements one by one until they are complete. When you have completed them, then visit the recruiters again. This time, you will have everything necessary to really start towards becoming a US Marine. Remember to be honest, be respectful, and to be thankful to each person who assists you in completing your dream. If this is too much to ask, then please plan on another branch because this IS WHAT IS NEEDED FROM EVERY PERSON WHO QUALIFIES TO STAND ON THE YELLOW FOOTPRINTS.

That's great advice Devon,listen to him!!!

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by DrZ View Post
    Devon,

Only issues with my past... In DEC. 2010 I got a DUI doing something Stupid. I'm going to end up having to pay a lawyer $2500 to handle my case. Hopefully I end up with something like unsupervised probation so I can still enlist. The requirements to be considered are (1) No pending legal cases, (2) 15 credits because I dropped out of high school.

Proving that I will be worth their time will be simple. I ended up having to sell my car just to get a head start on paying that $2500 (Learned a valuable lesson. Never drink and drive.) So... I have no car. Making it to a recruiter isn't easy at the moment. The court case is going to be resolved sometime in June I'm thinking. Can't get my credits until the end of January, 2012. (I've talked to an adviser at CPCC, that's the soonest I can have my credits.) I hate excuses, but It's hard to prepare myself with no transportation.

Any knowledge I gain that isnt USMC knowledge, I will not speak about. I'm just going to be another recruit. If they ask me to shoot a target? I'll shoot a target the way I know how to. If it's garbage and I have to correct it? I will. I'm not doing this so I can walk around with a, "I know everything" strut. That's arrogance and it's not how I was raised.

Do not go out into a remote area with live ammunition. This is the truth. That's stupid. I can't do that, you're right Sir. I can't risk that. Too many things can go wrong and I realize that.

Sigh. My mind's telling me that this doesn't seem feasible. I don't know why. I use the excuse of not having a car as justification as to why I feel like I can't keep in constant contact with a recruiter.

I respect every Marine. I want to work hard everyday... not just after I get accepted into the DEP. I can't explain it it's just how I am and how serious I'm taking this. I want to be as ready as I can be and this is the conflict I'm experiencing right now

Understood. 100% understood. Honor, Courage, Commitment.

I appreciate everyone who has added their input to this thread. I've heard everyone out, and have contemplated everything that everyone has said.

Thank you for giving me the freedom to choose. I'll make the right decisions. I mean everything I say.

*edit* Please spell my name as Devin, not Devon. Thank you

Credits
    Savings
    On another note. Marines seem to be very skilled in the use of NLP. I feel like there are a lot of Marines trying to speak into my subconscious. Has anyone ever heard of Darren Brown

Credits
    Savings
    This is one sick ****ing kid!!!

... this is seriously the funniest thread I have read on here in a long time...

Quote Originally Posted by ammermda View Post
    ... this is seriously the funniest thread I have read on here in a long time...
    Agreed but I am going to give DEVIN the benefit of the doubt.

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by DevinD View Post
    On another note. Marines seem to be very skilled in the use of NLP. I feel like there are a lot of Marines trying to speak into my subconscious. Has anyone ever heard of Darren Brown
    Would you kindly elucidate on this subject? Why do you feel Marines are skilled at Neuro-linguistic programming?

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by USNAviator View Post
    Would you kindly elucidate on this subject? Why do you feel Marines are skilled at Neuro-linguistic programming?

Well. I'm looking at all the replies and taking notice of everything that is either in BOLD font, or Capitalized. That's the "core" message behind whatever is being said. It's hard to explain. I would recommend you check out some videos on Derren Brown** He's a master of it. Basically, check these circumstances.

"Men, we don't want to die doing this, death is not the objective, we need to do everything we can do to avoid dying today"

versus

"Men, our objective is to live, if we stick to our plan, we all will live. Living is just as important as our mission"

In the first instance, Theoretically, (based on what NLP is all about) The only thing your men are thinking about... Is death. Death/die was used 3 times in that sentence. In the second sentence, its just the opposite. They're thinking about Life.

So when I say that Marines are skilled at NLP, I mean that either consciously, or unconsciously, they EMPHASIZE the key themes of their message... so its more understood by the target's Subconscious. It's kind of complicated. It's psychology. That's why whenever I'm trying to get a girls number, I don't say "hey... can I have your number?" I say, "hey... you're going to give me your number.. right?" theoretically the subconscious is understanding "give me your number", in the second instance. Try it sometime. I'm sure you all get the idea. If you think its all BS... I guess that's cool.. but there is some truth to it.

Look at most of the posts in this thread. Take notice of the things that are in Bold, or Capitalized. Imagine those things being said to you with emphasis on those words. Again it's hard to explain. It's kind of like the Jedi Mind trick but more practical. Weaker minded people fall for it far easier. Stronger willed people will just look at you like your stupid, or from another planet.

Please somebody tell me that THIS IS GETTING THROUGH.

NLP at work.

I've been able to stay awake all night... with just a Notebook and a pen... and like 2 beers. Just writing things to my subconscious. Things like "STAY AWAKE, NEVER SLEEP" I'll read that sentence I write. Absorb it in my mind, then systematically put an X through the words "Never" and "SLEEP". then I'll circle a word like "awake" and possibly underline it after that. You probably think I'm crazy. sigh.

Really though. Anyone interested just LOOK UP DARREN BROWN on youtube.

I'm just a Wannabe.

I'm just.

Good advice has been delivered by all parties here. Never heard of NLP. Nonetheless....

Devin, you've got some obstacles to overcome. In addition to having only a GED, now you've got this DUI thing. Needless to say (but I'm going to anyway), this does not make you a desireable candidate for enlistment into the Marine Corps. Now, take this for what it is worth and the way it's intended.....check into the Army. Seriously. You may be able to enlist quicker than with the Marine Corps. Since Jan of '12 is the earliest you can even *try* with 'us' (and no assurance of your waivers getting approved), the army might just be your best option at this time.

And, they may be the right 'fit' for you at the moment. After your army enlistment, should you still want to be a Marine...we'll still be here.

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by Sgt Leprechaun View Post
    Good advice has been delivered by all parties here. Never heard of NLP. Nonetheless....

Devin, you've got some obstacles to overcome. In addition to having only a GED, now you've got this DUI thing. Needless to say (but I'm going to anyway), this does not make you a desireable candidate for enlistment into the Marine Corps. Now, take this for what it is worth and the way it's intended.....check into the Army. Seriously. You may be able to enlist quicker than with the Marine Corps. Since Jan of '12 is the earliest you can even *try* with 'us' (and no assurance of your waivers getting approved), the army might just be your best option at this time.

And, they may be the right 'fit' for you at the moment. After your army enlistment, should you still want to be a Marine...we'll still be here.

Thanks sir, but no thanks. I wannabe a Marine. It's that, or I won't even join the service. If I'm going to risk my life for 4 years I want to do it with the Best of the Best.

I'll just keep heading toward the goal, and keep my eye on the big picture. Everything happens for a reason

Thread Information