Enlisted Reserve to Officer
Create Post

Enlisted Reserve to Officer

My ultimate goal is to go to OCS and become commissioned, however as you all know the waiting list is long, the competition is strong, and the standards are high. I am a weak candidate (3.0 gpa, 21:00 minute 3 miler, 8 pull ups, 90 sit ups, no real employment) and I decided that it would be in my interest to go enlisted. The recruiter has told me my best bet as far as time goes would be a reserve 0311 and then apply to OCS, he said that after 9 months of reserve duty (including time in Parris Island and ITB) I would be a Lcpl (automatic start at Pfc because of college credit) and therefore eligible for enlisted to OCS. It all seems like a good deal and I am happy with it but I would be really appreciative of any advice. All in all I just want to make sure this is a real deal and that everything lines up because I have read lot's of horror stories on the internet and seen lots "recruiter screwed me" etc. etc. Thanks in advance for your time, help, and understanding.

Quote Originally Posted by BaronVonFarlon View Post
    My ultimate goal is to go to OCS and become commissioned, however as you all know the waiting list is long, the competition is strong, and the standards are high. I am a weak candidate (3.0 gpa, 21:00 minute 3 miler, 8 pull ups, 90 sit ups, no real employment) and I decided that it would be in my interest to go enlisted. The recruiter has told me my best bet as far as time goes would be a reserve 0311 and then apply to OCS, he said that after 9 months of reserve duty (including time in Parris Island and ITB) I would be a Lcpl (automatic start at Pfc because of college credit) and therefore eligible for enlisted to OCS. It all seems like a good deal and I am happy with it but I would be really appreciative of any advice. All in all I just want to make sure this is a real deal and that everything lines up because I have read lot's of horror stories on the internet and seen lots "recruiter screwed me" etc. etc. Thanks in advance for your time, help, and understanding.
    You need to understand that your recruiter is outlining a probable path that you could take. Ultimately, nothing is guaranteed and it is your responsibility to go out and achieve said path. What your recruiter is telling you is real, but you need to get your ass in gear and make it happen because it is not going to be handed to you nor will it be guaranteed in your contract.

Looks like your recruiter is right, Semper Fidelis.

josephd
    Guest Free Member
    If you or your recruiter are referring to an enlisted commissioning program, the you and he are incorrect. Understand that in order to be eligible for OCS you either need to have a bachelors degree or be a current full time student. Once you are back home, checked into your reserve unit, and in school full time you are eligible to apply for an OCS seat. But being a enlisted reservist isn't going to waive the scores you need to be competitive. You still need to be running a high 1st class (270+) PFT, have decent grades, and show the proper motivation to the OSO that being an officer is what you really want.

If you already have your degree(??) don't waste your time enlisting in the reserves first, just get your a$$ in shape in order to be competitive

Thanks guys, I really appreciate it. I am not looking for a shortcut or anything like that, it's just a matter of time. Going civvy to OCS would mean a ship date of January at the earliest and I just don't want to be sitting around working my dead end retail job until then, whereas if I take this approach it will significantly improve my chances of success at OCS and has a ship date of October. My recruiter was very upfront that nothing is guaranteed and that it is up to me to show I am a first class recruit in every aspect. I figure if I can't do that, then being an officer just isn't meant for me. I already have the degree but as stated it's not awesome and nowadays you need a 3.6 and a decent civilian job to get in. As far as the fitness goes I am working on it day and night but it takes time and theres no cheating biology. Once again thanks guys for the reassurance.

I did what you described. However, if you don't get accepted into OCS you will have to complete your enlisted reserve contract. If you don't you risk getting an other than honorable discharge.

If I were you, I'd try to do a deployment before applying to OCS.

I know that you said that you need to work on your PFT - for your current performance you won't meet the minimum standard for applying to OCS.

I'm a PTAD working recruiting duty at an OSO right now.

With regards to your post, your scores are not competitive and enlisting does nothing to change the scores. Your recruiter has presented an option to you that could very well help you but it can also hurt you; (it isn't always easy to make satisfactory progress in school when you're busy with deployments....)

You need to decide what you want. Do you want to be a Marine? Do you want to be a Marine Officer?

If you want to be a Marine Officer, and you're only enlisting to better your chances at being accepted to OCS, I would advise against it. There are many things you can do to become a more competitive applicant. If you want to be a Marine, then you should certainly consider enlisting. However, DO NOT enlist for the sole purpose of finding an easier route to commissioning. There is no "easy route" to commissioning. Marine Officers are expected to be leaders of Marines; with these high expectations, the Marine Corps invests a lot of time and energy in evaluating potential Officer Candidates.

As a Lance Corporal, you will not be able to do MECEP (ineligible). Realistically, I doubt you will have a shot with ECP, and certainly not MCP. What all this means is that you will basically spend your entire reserve contract as an enlisted Marine or you will go to an OSO's office and apply for OCS with only a slightly more competitive situation. There is no doubt that MCRD PI will whip you into shape and perhaps push your PFT up to where it needs to be; but you're perfectly capable of doing all of that on your own.

I suggest you decipher what it is that you really want.

Thread Information