DWI and Secret Clearance question
Create Post
    Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings

Exclamation DWI and Secret Clearance question

I am joining the marines (already started the process) and I have a question I hope someone can answer because my recruiter couldn’t.

I had a dwi last year and the recruiter said that it disqualifies me for any jobs with a secret clearance.

I have a high ASVAB score (94) 3 ˝ years of college but no degree. The recruiter qualified me for almost every job available. Except the dwi limited which ones I could take.

My Question is this, “If I sign up now with a job class without any clearance requirement can I at some point qualify for a clearance and move on to a more desirable job?”

The asvab, as far as I'm aware, is only good for 2 years. You may have to take it again.

Also, yes. If you prove yourself, you'll be able to re-up and lat move to an MOS that requires a S or TS clearance. It all depends on your record from here on out, though. Don't screw up again, or they'll never let you up there.

AjC you are incorrect. You do not have to retake the ASVAB after 2 years. I could go back to the Marine Corps right now and not have to retake it.

Before I get to the security clearance portion I just have to ask what's keeping you from finishing your degree?

Here's the thing about security clearances, the investigations are pretty much handled on a case by case basis. Yes while you are enlisting, a DWI will almost definitely keep you from obtaining a clearance, especially since it's been within the last year. I know guys that have put in for their TS/SCI clearance and been rejected for misdemeanors. I also know a couple of guys that actually have felony charges on their record and have their clearance. The bottom line is that when it comes time to get one, you will be more than likely be questioned about your past. All they want is honesty, as they are there to find out whether you can be trusted with certain information. The guy that lies about the misdemeanor won't get it while the guy that is truthful about the felony does. Give it time.

Looks like someone told me some wrong information then. Secrets - disregard my comment about the asvab.

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by AjC View Post
    Looks like someone told me some wrong information then. Secrets - disregard my comment about the asvab.

yes, I have to retake the ASVAB but I've taken it twice and got 95-94... i doubt it will change much.

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by Covey_Rider View Post
    Give it time.
    ok... the recruiter didnt even do the background check yet they are doing it now... but he just crossed out everything with a clearance... a bit disappointing.

It's all cause and effect. You did the crime and now you have to do the time. Just the way of the world.

Credits
    Savings

Thumbs down

Quote Originally Posted by Covey_Rider View Post
    It's all cause and effect. You did the crime and now you have to do the time. Just the way of the world.
    That is an ignorant statement and does not address my question.

Ok you want to start this.
    I addressed your question to you. It was answered correctly and thoroughly. You wanted to make the statement that you were disappointed when the recruiter crossed out every MOS that requires a security clearance. The fact of the matter, is that you were dumb enough to get behind the wheel of a car while intoxicated. You got caught, nobody's fault but yours. Now it is limiting the options you have in the military. I am merely stating the obvious...and that is that you are still experiencing the repercussions of your actions. I don't see any ignorance in my response to you whatsoever.
    Cause: You having a recent DWI
    Effect: Department of Defense doesn't grant you a security clearance

Quote Originally Posted by Secrets44 View Post
    Hey Smart Ass Go back and read the site rules about how to talk the Marines on this site. You are not going to come on our forums and call one of my brothers ignorant. Take the silver spoon out of your mouth and stop acting like people owe you something. Everything in the Marine Corps you have to work for. I even had some special insight into my own security clearence investigation that I could have shared but I won't now. Just remember if you are rude to one of us your rude to all of us and if you can't handle this mentality then you don't belong here.

And, while you're reading the site rules, pay particular attention to the one that says the words Marine and Marine Corps will always be capitalized. You WILL be respectful to Marines here period. Don't like it...go play on an Army forum.

In the USMC, moving from one MOS to another is called a "lateral move". Normally, lateral moves are made in conjunction with reenlistment incentives so you shouldn't expect to change MOS's before then. To make a lateral move, your current MOS would have to be overpopulated and the MOS you want to change to would have to be classified as "critical" (underpopulated). As you can see, there are many variables involved making lateral moves difficult...it happens but it's not something you can count on. Don't know enough about clearances to comment. I had a GAMMA clearance (higher than top secret) but never had a DWI (still haven't and never will...I don't drink...it's a choice).

Quote Originally Posted by Secrets44 View Post
    BTW you pizz one Marine off you pizz us all off, Semper Fidlis.

Guest Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SGT7477 View Post
    BTW you pizz one Marine off you pizz us all off, Semper Fidlis.

Baker1971
    Guest Free Member
    All you have to do is look at the stupid profile photo and about three words in the profile, to figure we got another phony here.
    Nothing new, been a lot of them lately, they are shot down the moment they open their loud mouths.
    (which is as it should be).

Guess what, ding dong? You disrespect a MARINE here, you pay the price. Extracted for a week for being an idiot.

IF you return, read and heed the site rules or next time, it's forever.

Thread Information