Marine tattos
Create Post
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Marine tattos

Marine tattos

i was wanting to know if it would be considered disrespectful in anyway to get a tattoo on my upper arm that says Semper fidelis. but im not a marine and i want to get it to show that i know the hardships that you all go through but i guess im doing it to honor them if that would suffice as a reseanable explanation for me getting it. but i know that i dont trully know what you all go through and probably never will so please tell me your opinion on it?

Quote Originally Posted by Dave2571 View Post
    This topic started in Open Squad Bay and I asked mrsearch to re-post it here, which he did. Good topic, should get a discussion going.
    well its better to get the opinion of someone who was in the marines then some random guy

now the tattoo will be right below my shoulder but my shirt will cover it because i dont want to give the wrong impressiono

josephd
    Guest Free Member
    If that phrase didn't mean what it did to the Marine Corps it would not be disrespectful. But just about everyone associates those words with the Corps and will assume you are a Marine because of it. When you have to explain that you are not a Marine with that tattoo that is when it becomes questionable, even worse if you do something that a Marine would not and that tattoo is seen.

If you were asking me personally if you should get it I would say no.

so please no aggravations about this i just want to make sure it wont be like disrespectful or anything

Sgt. Lep:

Suppose maybe you could make one thread out of all the tatoo threads. There must be at least 50 different questions on tatoos, in the last 6 months.

Quote Originally Posted by josephd View Post
    If that phrase didn't mean what it did to the Marine Corps it would not be disrespectful. But just about everyone associates those words with the Corps and will assume you are a Marine because of it. When you have to explain that you are not a Marine with that tattoo that is when it becomes questionable, even worse if you do something that a Marine would not and that tattoo is seen.

If you were asking me personally if you should get it I would say no.
    well thanks for your opinion on it but i will not do somthing like break the law. 1. because im a religios man 2. i dont want anything to cause people to see me as a disgrace with that tattoo i mean i might not get it yet i dont reAlly know but i see where you are coming from but i might just get a tribal symbol.

i mean i want it to honor what the marines do for our country and to honor the brotherhood within their units but i want it mostly because off what you all go through while doing what you do best even though i wont really know the hardships the marines face unless i experience it firsthand

Guest Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Dear Mr Search.

In my humble opinion Sir, I would scrub the whole Tattoo idea and instead take the money you would be spending on it and Donate it to the Wounded Warrior Fund or perhaps another organization that helps Veterans.

It's not that I am against tattoos having 67 of them myself.

Thank you for being a Marine Friend.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave2571 View Post
    I see where you're coming from, totally----but it's not just your motives (which are good), it's like anything else, appearances and what they say.
    So if invisible to public, who cares? I don't...visible to public? It would be like saying Hey I was IN. And although that would be the opposite of what you would be trying to convey, no one would ever dream that you have it just because you respect the Corps. They would think you had been in, and therein lies the problem.
    But for you to even ask about it, shows a lot on the ball.

AND, you can honor the Corps by joining up in two years or so I hope I get a bonus from some recruiter for getting you to join.
    I actually have been thinking about joining the corp but dont know for sure yet. and we have reps for the marines at my school like every week and i talk to them every time they are there.

Quote Originally Posted by mrsearch View Post
    i was wanting to know if it would be considered disrespectful in anyway to get a tattoo on my upper arm that says Semper fidelis. but im not a marine and i want to get it to show that i know the hardships that you all go through but i guess im doing it to honor them if that would suffice as a reseanable explanation for me getting it. but i know that i dont trully know what you all go through and probably never will so please tell me your opinion on it?
    My question is:

How old do you have to be in Indiana to get a tatoo?

What do your parents have to say about it?

Quote Originally Posted by Old Marine View Post
    My question is:

How old do you have to be in Indiana to get a tatoo?

What do your parents have to say about it?
    lol i asked my mom if i could and she said i could but in indiana u have to be 18 unless you have your legal gaurdian sign for it lol but ive always liked the marines and the military or anything involving it n since im turning 16 in like a week i asked if i could get one. but im not getting it just because im turnin 16 so dont get the wrong immpression im getting it to honor the corp

josephd
    Guest Free Member
    your only 16 and you want a tattoo commemorating the Marine Corps?....wait a few years, see if actually joining may be right for you, and then decide on a tattoo from there

Quote Originally Posted by josephd View Post
    your only 16 and you want a tattoo commemorating the Marine Corps?....wait a few years, see if actually joining may be right for you, and then decide on a tattoo from there
    i know but if i dont join i can still keep it for the right reasons

If you do decide to join, and you have a Semper Fi tattoo, I feel bad for what you'll go through at bootcamp

Thread Information