Deployment and MOS Questions
Create Post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Deployment and MOS Questions

Hello Marines. Im relatively new to this site, and just finished reading the rules before I posted this. I just have a few questions about MOS's, Deployments, and Generally, what its like to be Marine.

Im 17, turning 18 in about 3 months, and I've been contemplating becoming a soldier since I was about 13, and more specifically, a Marine since I was 14.
    My main mos interests are: 02xx Intelligence, 03 Infantry, 11xx Utilities, 06xx Communications, and 04xx Logistics
    After searching this website, I've found out just about as much as I possibly can about Intel for the time being. I would like to know how life is for an Intel Marine, hypothetically speaking if I get deployed with that mos in general, in terms of what Intel can do in the field.
    Infantry is a given. I understand that mos more than anything else. I would like to know more about Utilities, Communications, and Logistics. What do they do that can be told to a current civilian?

What is it like being deployed in general?
    What is Afghanistan like?
    Are IEDs still a constant, everyday issue?
    What are your experiences as a Marine in general?

I don't mean to give off the impression that Im worried about dying or expecting to get everything I want out of this. Im willing to sacrifice as much as I may have to, to become a Marine. I want to hear what I need to know, and to understand my possible future. I plan to enlist soon, and hopefully leave in August, with Intel as a guaranteed mos.

Any constructive input would be GREATLY appreciated. Semper Fi, and thank you beyond gratitude for your service.

I won't be much help. Did not have any of those MOS's and never been to Afghanistan.

You can't really understand what it's like being a Marine until you are one. Generally, the feeling (for me at least), is of immense pride along with a sense of great accomplishment and shared sacrafice. It's not an easy life for sure but if it was everybody would do it.

Semper Fi is a modified motto used by Marines and you ain't one. Read over the rules again.

Obviously, you missed this rule........

POOLEE/WANNABEE SITE RULES! Read FIRST!!!

Rule Six never use the words Semper Fi, Semper Fidelis or OORAH you do not rate that here until you have earned the title of United States Marine!

http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/sh...t=28989&page=2

Also, try doing a search on the site. These topics have been covered before.

Why the hell does EVERY FREAKING WANNABE/POOLEE ask about freaking deployments and how afghanistan is?!!? I just got to my unit, got word that im deploying end of this year and that was that. I dont care to know how it is there, how deployments are, im going to do my damn job and thats about all there is to it. Hows afghanistan? Hot and sandy. Deployments? Your doing your job in a different area all you need to freaking know, and thats common sense. Your joining the Corps, who cares, you joining knowning YOU WILL go there, wait and find out yourself.

P.S. Reading rules, I dont know how it isn't done by anyone. When I joined this site, I read them all and knew what the hell was up. Simple Instructions cant even be followed on a site, good luck when your tired, ticked off at everyone, sick of getting yelled at, and noticing your only on like T-3, then follow instructions, its still simple s**t but you or someone you know will find a way to mess them up. Theres always one, DONT BE IT.

Quote Originally Posted by Tennessee Top View Post
    I won't be much help. Did not have any of those MOS's and never been to Afghanistan.

You can't really understand what it's like being a Marine until you are one. Generally, the feeling (for me at least), is of immense pride along with a sense of great accomplishment and shared sacrafice. It's not an easy life for sure but if it was everybody would do it.

Semper Fi is a modified motto used by Marines and you ain't one. Read over the rules again.
    I apologize for putting that at the end, sir.

Quote Originally Posted by MarinesFTW View Post
    Why the hell does EVERY FREAKING WANNABE/POOLEE ask about freaking deployments and how afghanistan is?!!? I just got to my unit, got word that im deploying end of this year and that was that. I dont care to know how it is there, how deployments are, im going to do my damn job and thats about all there is to it. Hows afghanistan? Hot and sandy. Deployments? Your doing your job in a different area all you need to freaking know, and thats common sense. Your joining the Corps, who cares, you joining knowning YOU WILL go there, wait and find out yourself.

P.S. Reading rules, I dont know how it isn't done by anyone. When I joined this site, I read them all and knew what the hell was up. Simple Instructions cant even be followed on a site, good luck when your tired, ticked off at everyone, sick of getting yelled at, and noticing your only on like T-3, then follow instructions, its still simple s**t but you or someone you know will find a way to mess them up. Theres always one, DONT BE IT.
    Im not sure about other wannabes/poolees, but I ask about what its like because, well: Im curious about it. I will find out myself, but like most wannabes/poolees that have questions about the Corps and what a Marine has experienced, they're gonna ask. Thats all I was doing. I appreciate your input about it though.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by FutureDevilDog7 View Post
    Im not sure about other wannabes/poolees, but I ask about what its like because, well: Im curious about it. I will find out myself, but like most wannabes/poolees that have questions about the Corps and what a Marine has experienced, they're gonna ask. Thats all I was doing. I appreciate your input about it though.

I haven't been to Afghanistan, but I have been to some other godforsaken places and my oldest daughter came back from there last year.

Here is the official Marine Corps answer to your questions: it depends.

It depends on what your MOS is and where exactly you're located. Regardless, plan on being hot and sandy in summer, cold and sandy (and/or snowy) in winter. A simple reading of the news indicates that IEDs are still a daily problem outside the wire in many places. Inside and out of the wire, rocket, mortar, and ground attacks are possible (my daughter went through a number of rocket attacks and one major ground attack. She was Air Force at Bagram).

It also depends on you. You might like the place. Or not. Somehow I think Afghanistan is an all or nothing kind of place to like. Other than the spectacular vistas of the Hindu Kush, my daughter hated the place.

The other Marines are correct. You just won't know what it's like until you become a Marine, get an MOS, and go there.

Marine Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    If you end up on Leatherneck, you've got showers, hot food and an actual bed every night to sleep in. Ditto if you're on a few other FOBs around the country. Otherwise you get MREs, a shower that involves wiping yourself down with a baby wipe and the only reason they give you that amount of space to sleep is because the seat you're sleeping in is that big. It gets around 130 during the summer on average, and it's hit at its max about 153 when I was there in July. During winter, it can get below 0. Snow depending on where you're at, but unless you're working with the Army and you're in the mountains, and for that I feel sorry for you, you probably won't see much if any. As and 02xx, you probably won't leave the wire much if at all. 26xx, which is the other side of intelligence, can leave depending on whether they're an analyst or a collection operator, I'm the latter. Expect sand, wind, sun, smelly people with no sense of personal space as we know it and just general crappiness. And the farther away you are from higher ups, the better the deployment is. No question.

Comm sucks in general, though they're awesome when you need fire support. But that's about it. Grunts are straight retarded, don't know much about logistics other then they never get you what you actually need. And the utilities guys aren't too bad.

Expect to be super moto your first few months until you finish MOS school and then it'll be beaten out of you and you just won't care anymore and start counting down the days until you get out.

What is it like being deployed in general?
    Depends on your location. On the Larger installations like Leatherneck, you have access to more things like a chow hall, showers, toilets, air conditioning, Internet and telephones. On smallers FOBs and PBs, you MAY have a shower or a nearby stream to wash yourself in, and for chow its either MREs or UGRs. MREs are goss, of course, but UGRs are ok if you eat a different one everyday.
    What is Afghanistan like?
    Depending on the months, either crazy hot, or insanely cold. If you are in a Farming area, expect insane humidity, and jump a large amount of irrigation canals. People either hate you or like you, and the only choice of cigarettes are PINES, MAIWANDS, or MILD 86, all which can be purchased for 5 dollars a CARTON!
    Are IEDs still a constant, everyday issue?
    Yes, plain and simple.
    What are your experiences as a Marine in general?
    No comment....

And MarinesFTW....Chill out. The more he knows, the better decision he can make. It's gonna be his life for the next 4 years.

Sorry it's been a long time since I've been able to reply. But I thank every Marine for their input. Im looking at Intel and Infantry as main MOS options, so I will continue to search for more information.

Quote Originally Posted by FutureDevilDog7 View Post
    Sorry it's been a long time since I've been able to reply. But I thank every Marine for their input. Im looking at Intel and Infantry as main MOS options, so I will continue to search for more information.
    I think intel will serve you in the civilian world if you decided not to make the Marine Corps a career.

Chill out on the kid. He's just asking questions anyone would want to know. Although. I recomend worrying about what task are directly in front of you. Don't let the moto guys stop from asking questions.

Like mentioned above. Its hot, and sandy, and everyones deployment is differant depending on what there MOS is. Some people won't ever leave the wire, some everyday, and some on occasion. If your on leatherneck. I don't recomend eating the lobster that is given every sunday. I just have a thing about seafood in a land locked country that gets its food delivered from tcn's that drive through the hot ass desert. Then again, maybe that **** is flown in. Either way, it weirds me out.

As Motor T. I enjoyed my deployment. Got alot of experiece. Got showers, occasionally hot, and hot food whenever we were on base, and seen my fair share of IED's, and a few close morters, but never fired my weapon. Had a few "holy ****" moments, but they didn't attack. Ill never forget the day I had some Supply guy for an assistant driver. His face was priceless when I told him we were driving to Marjeh with a 5,000 gallon fuel truck.

Ive been to almost every section of the Helmand Provice. It didn't matter where anyone was. Everyone had a differant experience to share. I wouldn't want to do any other MOS then Motor T. That seemed to be the only MOS that got to experience a little bit of everything.

I myself enjoyed the Lobster. No one would eat it at my Patrol Base, so I did. I also made some mean Deep fried shrimp.

Well then, seems like you had more to enjoy for yourself. By no means am I complaining about the fact that we can even have the access to lobster in Afghanastan. I am more along the lines of just joking that it was an option. The general public doesn't usually put lobster and war together. When asked how was afghanastan? I usually throw in the fact that I am just a truck driver who got to eat lobster on sundays.

Pretty much all of your questions have been answered with the exception of what you would do as an Intel Marine out on a deployment. That question can't really be answered on the internet due to the nature of what intel MOS's do.

If you're qualified for an Intel MOS I would HIGHLY suggest going that route. As stated before if you decide to not make the Marine Corps a career, you will be marketable in the civilian world with an intel background and TS/SCI clearance. Let me give you an example...

Person A- Intel with a TS/SCI clearance
    Person B- Former Marine infantry

Company X puts out a job offer for a classified project overseas doing basic security for some OGA (other government agency). The job requires former military/LE and eligibility for a TS/SCI clearance. Company X is given $100,000 for each individual that they recruit in order to process their clearances. Now, Company X is looking over resumes and sees that Person B has more security experience however Person A already has the clearance. Anyone being hired will go through that companies training course to ensure they can do the job. Person A will get hired, because that company will get to pocket that money that they had been provided and somebody's wallet will get a little bit fatter. It is cheaper to train a person to do the job then it is to pay for their clearance process.

This is all way down the road for you, however just know that there are thousands of shooters out there and a lot fewer people that hold those clearances and get that training. There is a LOT of money to be made with that background. If you ever decide to get out and go overseas as a private contractor you can make quite a bit. Many intel guys I know that contract make between 150k-300k/yr. While most infantry types won't make more than 140k/yr.

Thread Information