Do I get a say in what I get assigned as a 03xx?
Create Post
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Do I get a say in what I get assigned as a 03xx?

Hello Marines,
    I am currently in DEP open contract and im going to go change my MOS this week. As far as I know, I want Infantry. My recruiter has been pointing out me picking a Cryptologist or an Electronics Maintanance guy or an Airplane Mechanic because I scored a 80 on my ASVAB. I don't want any of those I want to be in Infantry but do I get to have a say in what I get? I've been reading about all the jobs in 03xx and I for sure don't want to be a combat engineer or mortarman/artillery. I have high ambitions to be in RECON or a Sniper. I know some Marines will tell me I must make it to boot camp first and how I shouldnt even think of anything else but boot camp and making it for now but I just want to know: will I be able to or will they put me in a different job like Anti-tank Assaultman 0352 (requires gt score of 100 as compared to other jobs which require less of a gt score)?

voluntold, don't be 0351 if you want to ever see E-4...

Also, my recruiter told me that it would be easier (not easy) to make a lateral move into Recon from communications as opposed to Infantry, can a Marine verify that?

Quote Originally Posted by Devil1087 View Post
    what do you mean by that sir?

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Why does EVERYBODY want to go Infantry? Is it because of some pre-conceived notion of what Infantry really is? There are a kazillion other jobs! Jobs that will let you have somewhat of a good quality of life while you're working off your contract!

Infantry has GOT to be THE worse job in the whole wide Corps! AND it's an even WORSE (as if it couldn't be bad enough already) if you're in during peacetime because you got a lot of time to do all of that fun field training stuff that Grunts luuuuuuuuv to do. And it ain't fun from what I hear - I know I wouldn't want to do it!

Why is it that any of you don't want to do anything other than Infantry?

Originally Posted by Devil1087

Quote Originally Posted by Spartacus5405 View Post
    what do you mean by that sir?
    The promotion to NCO is essentially frozen in that field. Too many NCO's. So a good chance you would stay LCPL (E-3) your whole time. Spartacus, keep an open mind. Ask your recruiter what is the promotion potential in each field you are looking at. Also, ask yourself what MOS will pay you good money on the civilian side once you get out if you decide to do so.

Each class has to dish out a specific number of Weapon Marines(0331, 0341,0351,0352) each time. The best way to get a spot is to score high on the PFT and the exams you will take during the common skills course. Even if you don't get pick at first, never fear, they always look for volunteers.

And like stated above, going in as an 0351 is almost guaranteed that you will not see Corporal the first four year, both because the cutting score is so ungodly high, ans second because they tend to close down that MOS a lot due to the large amount of NCOS, though you can still get it if you get meritorious, but whatever...

Infantry has GOT to be THE worse job in the whole wide Corps!
    And it is also the reason this organization has got the god-dammed reputation that it has! All other jobs in the Marine Corps exist for the sole purpose of supporting the Infantry! I just won't allow any one to disrespect my MOS like this.

Quote Originally Posted by GunRun View Post
    All other jobs in the Marine Corps exist for the sole purpose of supporting the Infantry! I just won't allow any one to disrespect my MOS like this.

josephd
    Guest Free Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Spartacus5405 View Post
    Also, my recruiter told me that it would be easier (not easy) to make a lateral move into Recon from communications as opposed to Infantry, can a Marine verify that?
    ummmm NO, getting selected for recon and becoming a recon Marine will be much easier coming from another infantry MOS

Quote Originally Posted by Marine84 View Post
    Why does EVERYBODY want to go Infantry? Is it because of some pre-conceived notion of what Infantry really is? There are a kazillion other jobs! Jobs that will let you have somewhat of a good quality of life while you're working off your contract!

Infantry has GOT to be THE worse job in the whole wide Corps! AND it's an even WORSE (as if it couldn't be bad enough already) if you're in during peacetime because you got a lot of time to do all of that fun field training stuff that Grunts luuuuuuuuv to do. And it ain't fun from what I hear - I know I wouldn't want to do it!

Why is it that any of you don't want to do anything other than Infantry?
    I agree infantry is rough, but if your not a grunt or werent a grunt you shouldnt be talking down upon it. I love my job and I wouldnt do anything else in the Marine Corps, and I take great pride in being one.

Quote Originally Posted by chadhertz View Post
    I agree infantry is rough, but if your not a grunt or werent a grunt you shouldnt be talking down upon it. I love my job and I wouldnt do anything else in the Marine Corps, and I take great pride in being one.
    Oohrah, Brother, OohRah.

Quote Originally Posted by chadhertz View Post
    I WAS A 0341...........I AGREE WITH YOUR STATEMENT 100%......ALL MARINES SHOULD HAVE TO BE A 03XX FOR A WHILE....THE 03XX ARE THE BACK BONE OF THE MARINE CORPS....ALL OTHER MOS SUPPORT THE 03XX MOS......I KNOW EVERY MARINE GO"S THRU ADVANCED INFANTRY TRAINING BUT THAT IS NOT THE SAME AS HOLDING A 03XX MOS.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    You Grunts need to take a freakin' chill pill and back the fk up! I'm NOT talking it down - I had no problem being in the rear with the gear because I helped build the bombs that cover your a$$e$ from the air so that you CAN do your job! I'm GLAD y'all want to do it! I LOVE Grunts but, it IS the dirtiest job. How many times do you guys have to go without showers when you're in the field training? How many times have you not gotten to eat? Or even drink a beer? How many times have you had to turn down a "slice" because you had to go out to the field to do something that you thought was just too stupid for words cause you've already done it 500 times already.

A lot of these kids come in here thinking the REAL DEAL is going to be like some Play Station trash that they play at home and can drop when they get good and ready.

Let me stop all you LCpl's in your tracks. Not every MOS in the Marine Corps exist for the sole purpose of supporting the infantry. You need to drop the notion that infantry is god and everyone else is your humble servants. I have not once provided any support to the infantry in the 3 and a half year i've been in. Let me give you some more examples. The messman working at the base chow hall... not supporting the infantry unless the get deployed and then maybe they get attached to the infantry but then again they might not. the base PAO....Not supporting the infantry. PMO not supporting the infantry. I could go on all day but I think I made my point that it is not the purpose of every other MOS to support the infantry. But whatever your want tell yourself to make yourself feel better while your NCO's are playing mind games with you.

Whatever way you want to split it, every MOS supports ground troup operations. You mention messmen. While directly supporting, no. But who else is going to feed the wingers, admin, supply and every other mos that is in direct support of the 03xx. Every single entity of the Marine Corps is there for the sole purpose of supporting 03xx in one way, shape, or form. Now that being said, I am not about to bash on any other MOS so don't take this as that. While we are all Marines, grunts are just a different breed altogether. As stated above, if you weren't in it, you don't get it. Grunts are just of a different mind set and that is just that. I could prob figure out a whole handful of MOS's and get the task done. I doubt very few could step into a grunt unit and thrive. So you can tell yourself whatever you want to. We'll keep fighting the war.

Thread Information