Info on Dog Tags + Riggers Belt Help? - Page 2
Create Post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Also, asking the question ONCE is sufficient. Note the large number of answers, from experienced Marines, here.

Also, as far as the belt goes, unless for some reason you really, really MUST have one, wait until you get to your first duty station and see if you are even allowed to WEAR one. Other than the MCMAP belts, that is.

Prior Service w/L.I.N.E. Training

I had an 11 year break in service. So, when I went through boot camp, I was trained under the L.I.N.E. system. My question is, were Marines grandfathered into Tan belt when MCMAP was instituted or did all Marines have to retrain/retest under the new system for the entry level belt? I read over MCO 1500.54A but didn't see anything that could answer my question. Thanks!

Seems to me that when I was in we only had one belt and that was the web belt. Do Marines in combat still have a dog tag lased in there belt?

Quote Originally Posted by flyby View Post
    I had an 11 year break in service. So, when I went through boot camp, I was trained under the L.I.N.E. system. My question is, were Marines grandfathered into Tan belt when MCMAP was instituted or did all Marines have to retrain/retest under the new system for the entry level belt? I read over MCO 1500.54A but didn't see anything that could answer my question. Thanks!
    There were no Marines grandfathered into MCMAP. Every Marine including the CMC and the SgtMaj had to retrain to the new MCMAP standards.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Dog Tags are to tell ones who you are when KIA, one was supposed to be left in your teeth and other taken by your squad at time of action. Then turned in later for records. This is when dog tags first came out, they were made of differant types of things, wood, metal, round, oval. Also at one point with a notch that was was supposed to be put in the teeth, this was not done. You recieve more sets and you put them in your boot laces and around your neck. If you are working around batteries the dog tags can get electfried and cooked around your neck, if they touch the battery. The red dog tags are for medical purposes that tell of a medical problem. You can only have silver or black painted tags, and the red medical tag if a medical problem. Dog Tags are for medical and KIA or WIA medivac. That is all they are used for. Your ID card is for POW, ID you and so on.

Semper Fi

Tan Belt/MCMAP

Quote Originally Posted by Gunz View Post
    There were no Marines grandfathered into MCMAP. Every Marine including the CMC and the SgtMaj had to retrain to the new MCMAP standards.
    Copy that Gunny! Thanks!

The 'teeth' thing is an old myth, by the way. The 'cutout' in the old time dog tags was for the dog tag machine, not as a 'teeth insert'.

"Dog tags" such as they are didn't become an official 'issue' item until WWI. Prior to that the individual soldier/sailor/Marine was on their own, some bought private purchase tags, others wrote their name on a piece of paper and pinned it to the uniform, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by haebyungdae View Post

Per MCO 1020.34G:

6. Martial Arts Utility Belt. The 1-3/4 inch wide nylon utility belt having black D-type buckle with locking bar will be worn by all martial arts qualified Marines with the utility uniform. The tip end of the utility belt will pass through the buckle, feeding back around the locking bar to the wearer’s left, with the belt-end extending 4 to 8 inches beyond the buckle. The buckle will be kept subdued in flat black finish. The buckle will be worn with the locking bar cinched tightly into the buckle.
    The MCMAP belts with the velcro, for the most part, are not within USMC regs. If you read the order above, it states that the belt must have a locking bar which the velcro belts do not have. The order also states that the belt must pass through the buckle and back around the locking bar. This means it must come from the wearers left around the locking bar and back out to the wearers left.

Quote Originally Posted by cashley123 View Post
    The MCMAP belts with the velcro, for the most part, are not within USMC regs. If you read the order above, it states that the belt must have a locking bar which the velcro belts do not have. The order also states that the belt must pass through the buckle and back around the locking bar. This means it must come from the wearers left around the locking bar and back out to the wearers left.
    Blackhawk makes one with the spec stated in the MCO (see below). The only difficulty with it is cutting it to size because you end up cutting off velcro.

http://www.cabelas.com/mens-tactical...:referralID=NA

Thread Information