Distinguished Shooting Medals
Create Post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Distinguished Shooting Medals

I came across this picture on the USMC Badges page of Wikipedia. I noticed that the marksmanship badges were different. I've found that one is a Distinguished Shot medal, but it is the only one I could find any, information on. I assume the others are related. Can anyone provide information these and how to obtain them? Do they replace the marksmanship badges for the rest of your career once earned?

Thanks in advance.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	badges.jpg‎
Views:	3535
Size:	10.2 KB
ID:	9036  

its for getting so many points in shooting compilations. I know its 30 points but im not sure how they are tallied

The distinguished marksmanship badges are for those Marines who distinguish themselves in competitive shooting matches. You would become eligible by participating and placing in base / division competitions. (you don't get them at the base or division level - that's how you qualify for the team)

Here is some basic info from the Marine Corps Distinguished Shooters Association: http://www.marinedsa.com/

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Who ever that is, is a Triple Distingushed shooter. Meaning, high powered rifle, pistol, and International. None of them are easy to earn and one shooting match won't get it. Takes years and many recognized shooting matches. Once earned, they're for life and do replace your USMC shooting badges.

I met one Triple while I served in the Corps. He could shoot anything, anywhere, at anything and hit it.

josephd
    Guest Free Member
    not surprising these are on a WO's uniform either

Thank-you for the information.

Moved to 'uniform u' as a more appropriate section.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Zulu 36 View Post
    Who ever that is, is a Triple Distingushed shooter. Meaning, high powered rifle, pistol, and International. None of them are easy to earn and one shooting match won't get it. Takes years and many recognized shooting matches. Once earned, they're for life and do replace your USMC shooting badges.

I met one Triple while I served in the Corps. He could shoot anything, anywhere, at anything and hit it.
    That is a distinguised with two leg medals. A triple distinguished would have 3 badges with 3 bulleyes on them and currently the only way that is possible is by being double distinguished and participating in the olympics. Historically there have only been 8 triple distinguished Marksmen. Additionally if you are distinguished with rifle or pistol then you never have to qualify with either again as you are a lifetime expert. Strangley enough if you are distinguished shotgun in the olympics your are still required to annually qualify with the pistol.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    That picture looks very much like the Charlies of CWO5 Matthews with his son carrying it. I might be wrong and just a guess. I had the pleasure of serving with him both in Hawaii and Quantico.

Quote Originally Posted by Zulu 36 View Post

The WO's metals are not that of a triple Distinguished shooter. He is a distinguished marksman and winner of 2 different team medals. The 3 distingushed metals available are attached here and the international metal does not have a bullseye on it as you can see. Hope this helps.

Name:	Badges.gif‎
Views:	1119
Size:	23.3 KB
ID:	9042  

Thank you! That is MUCH appreciated.

You are welcome. In will look in my match bulletins and try to figure out exactly which team metals they are.

Even better! All and any information appreciated!

The badges in the photo are left to right; 1. Distinguished Marksman 2. Wirgman Trophy, a small unit rifle award 3. Shively Trophy, Division level pistol team award. I will also upload a picture of all USMC competitive shooting badges as soon as I reduce the file size.

Quote Originally Posted by efoleyjr View Post
    The badges in the photo are left to right; 1. Distinguished Marksman 2. Wirgman Trophy, a small unit rifle award 3. Shively Trophy, Division level pistol team award. I will also upload a picture of all USMC competitive shooting badges as soon as I reduce the file size.
    Files attached:

Name:	Slide1.jpg‎
Views:	798
Size:	22.3 KB
ID:	9043   Click image for larger version

Name:	Slide2.jpg‎
Views:	1433
Size:	19.6 KB
ID:	9044   Click image for larger version

Name:	Slide3.jpg‎
Views:	719